Forums - Gaming Discussion - When do game-changing spoilers stop being treated as spoilers?

When does a spoiler in a video game start to be o.k. to talk about?  

Some spoilers, like Sheik's secret Identity in Ocarina of TIme, or the final boss of Twilight Princess, or Liquid Snake's parentage, are common knowledge, and not taboo to talk about.   However, I believe everyone's enjoyment of the game would increase if it was a suprise.  When does it become O.K. to openly discuss different spoilers?  is it a set of time?  or the way the developers handle it?  I'm curious while some spoilers( i.e. Rockstar game endings, The Walking Dead, Journey) are still handled sacredly even though a bunch of time has passed since their release as well.

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

Around the Network

If a game is highly memorable and treated like a classic, then it can't be counted as a spoiler.

For example, you can't get mad if we tell you that bowser dies in Mario. You can't angry if you are told that Darth Vader is Luke's father.

On the other hand, if I told you the end to, say, a professor layton game, I'd be an asshole. Even though the series is popular and successful, it isn't as recognizable as a mario game or star wars.

Only exception to this is for games with obvious endings. No point in throwing a tantrum because someone says you end up saving the day in Kirby. It's common sense.

I always figure big spoilers should never be treated as non spoilers until a sequel comes out and through its very presence spoils those spoilers.

Of the three spoilers you posted (didn't actually spoil any of them, thank you). I know two of them due to having played the games.
I have no clue who snakes parents are. Never played MGS. Not sure what would be common knowledge about it. I'm not sitting at the water cooler and someone starts talking about snakes daddy.

Heck, even movies people should shy from mentioning Luke's parents, or the sixth sense, ect.

I typically think a year of any release, or re-release.

As of now FF7 no spoiler warnings.
When it re-releases? Give it a year.

Re-introducing something means it should get spoiler warnings again. It being re-released could mean that never played it, and never knew anything about it will actually be playing it new.

Even though somethings can stop be treated as a spoiler, there is no reason not to have warnings though.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

I think spoilers are timeless. It's stupid to me to think that people think it's "alright" to spoil a game just because it's been a long time since it released. "Stop complaining about spoilers for a 18-year old game!" - yeah, but what if I never played that game and want to experience it the way everyone did 18 years ago?

When I first played Ocarina of Time in 2012, for example, I thought Sheik was just another character in the game's already large roster (the coolest one, might I add). You can imagine how surprised I was when I got to the end of the game, yet mostly everyone at that time already knew about it.

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
For example, you can't get mad if we tell you that bowser dies in Mario. You can't angry if you are told that Darth Vader is Luke's father.

More on that. I first watched Star Wars as a kid in order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Though I knew Darth Vader's name and image, because everyone does, I went into the movies just relating to Anakin as a nice guy and never imagined what he would become. In fact, I find it weird when people say you should watch the movies in release order because "otherwise you're going to miss some surprises", when if you watch them in chronological order the surprise is just as big in episode 3 as it would otherwise be in episode 5.

I'm going to modified my statement. I will use Sheik/OOT as an example.

If in 2012 there is a OOT thread - then they don't need to hide the text. They don't need to label things as spoiler. If you've never played OOT - don't go into the OOT thread.

By that same note though you also shouldn't make thread titles that say "Sheik is

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

Math.Pow(2, Metacritic score) = number of days before spoilers are ok

A perfect 10, almost 3 years
A solid 9, about one and a half years
A great 8, close to 9 months
A passable 7, 4 months
A meager 6, 2 months
A crappy 5, 1 month

Math solves all questions!

2Quick said:

When does a spoiler in a video game start to be o.k. to talk about?  

Some spoilers, like Sheik's secret Identity in Ocarina of TIme, or the final boss of Twilight Princess, or Liquid Snake's parentage, are common knowledge, and not taboo to talk about.   However, I believe everyone's enjoyment of the game would increase if it was a suprise.  When does it become O.K. to openly discuss different spoilers?  is it a set of time?  or the way the developers handle it?  I'm curious while some spoilers( i.e. Rockstar game endings, The Walking Dead, Journey) are still handled sacredly even though a bunch of time has passed since their release as well.

I mean, I don't know any of these things.

I feel like at least a year cutoff should be the minimum.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The more popular, the quicker it becomes acceptable to talk plot details. Look at major movie releases - spoilers are frowned upon the first two weeks, but after that its funny and acceptable to make and share spoilery memes on social media. The timing for games is quite different, but still there.