By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Breath of the Wild finally dethrone Ocarina of Time for people? Let's look at the facts

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman                                 

I just want to ask you people... when you played Ocarina of Time for the first time, were you kids playing it on a N64 in the 90's?

I was an even younger kid when I first played ALttP in the '90s.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
So it's confirmed that everyone heavily defending Ocarina of Time from "nostalgia" comments has nostalgia for it.

With that, I'm out.

Except me, I first played through it early 2016, and it's a phenomenal game.

mZuzek said:
So it's confirmed that everyone heavily defending Ocarina of Time from "nostalgia" comments has nostalgia for it.

With that, I'm out.

Lol, Its not about nostalgia. I played ALTTP when I was younger. OoT (3DS) is great game even in 2017", but people can't really see why Zelda OoT has meta score of 99 and why is widely considered for best game of all time if they didnt played it around 98", of course you want have same experience if you played OoT in 98" and you play it almost 20 years later. In 98" OoT so many things done for 1st time ever in gaming industry and it was so much different (I would said and better) than any other game on market, while almost 20 years later you already saw most of those thing in later games too.

Nautilus said:

Oh, I read all right.Its you that seems to be unwilling to even consider the other side of the coin, or actually acknoledge anything I said.First of all saying with absolute garantee that a fictional game would have done as good as OOT is wrong by nature, its a fact as you like so well to say, simply because that scenario dosent exist.Second, while any Zelda game would have done great anyway, as the track record by the franchise implies, its wouldnt have been regarded as high as OOT, assuming that the game was worse.Its a simple thing.If a game score 9, and the other scores 10, the game that scores higher will have a a higher following.

And what you keep refering as technical aspects is also wrong.I have so far thought that these technical aspects are actually the coding of the game, how the game runs and all those things, but what you are actually referencing is the designs and overall decisions made to the game.OOT had a different pacing as ALTTP did.Once it opened up, ALTTP let you go to any dungeon to any order, and OOT had a more linear path to it.Combat is completely different, story is more fleshed out( and carachters have more a role in it, othern than just Link), and so on, as I have already said.

Look, as I read that last paragraph and you seem to be somehow insulted by what I said, be it because what Im saying its true and you cant find a decent reply to it or because you dont like me(or both of them, could also be the case), and since you cant even accept the basics of what Im trying to say(which is what discussion is all about), lets leave it at we agree to disagree.When someone gets so low as to start insulting someone to make a point is the moment it is not worth discussing the subject with him anymore.

Except what blows your argument out the water is that TP scored less than WW and OOT and is the highest selling game in the series meaning it has a higher following if your point hinges on scores than I've got news for you mate lesser scoring games outsell higher scoring games just as often so this part makes no sense and doesn't debunk anything.

Technical aspects are things pulled off by the game's design, combat execution, coding, graphical tricks, animation are examples of technical aspects it's all down to design execution and that is where OOT excelled and what cemented it's impact. True OOT may be more linear and story focused but the approach in the structure is the same even down to how you progress, truth is OOT progressed the industry but didn't change much for Zelda as a series in fact both it and TP are the only games to take a previous game's approach and try to refine it.

Not insulted I just returned the favour if you can't take it don't initiate it.

Miyamotoo said:

I am in gaming from 3. gen, and before I bought N64 and played Zelda OoT I had PS1 for couple of years, and Zelda OoT was totally different to all 3D games I played, it was really masterpiece. There is reason why has 99 metascore.

Again, thats not true. Like I wrote, "OoT was released at end of 98" when we already have 3-4 years of games in 3D, OoT was masterpiece in evre way its didnt get praise just beaucse "its 1st 3D Zelda". Its Zelda OoT that influced all other future Zelda games and other games that are not Zelda games. OoT Zelda is even today considered for "most complete" Zelda game, like I wrote, evre other 3D Zelda game had some flaws consider to Zelda OoT. So no, any other 3D Zelda wouldnt make same results. Yes it almost perfect for 98", thats why its widely considered for best game of all time with highest meta score ever.

Read your own reply again then read what I posted to you earlier you just admitted my point indirectly with out even realizing and no OOT never influenced all future Zelda games that is incorrect it only influence TP all the games after it are significantly different you're on a nostalgia trip here.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:

I was.So yeah, there is nostalgia, as any good game would create over the course of years.Its personally my favorite, for the better or worse of it.When did you play OOT and whats your favorite Zelda game?

I first played Ocarina of Time in 2011 and it's my 5th favorite Zelda game.
My first Zelda was A Link to the Past in the early 2000's, and it's my 2nd favorite.
My favorite Zelda is Skyward Sword, which I played first in 2013.

But seriously... stop downplaying the comparisons between OoT and ALttP. You say Ocarina of Time was the one that revolutionized and established the Zelda formula, and was completely different from A Link to the Past, but that's just completely wrong. It was A Link to the Past that established everything.

A Link to the Past starts with a rainy scene / Opening cutscene in OoT. Check.
And then a father figure dies. / Deku Tree. Check.
You meet Zelda and she gives you the objective of looking for 3 spiritual stone things. Check.
You obtain all the stones to get the Master Sword, but then shit goes down. Check.
You're transported to an alternate reality where everything is messed up / Ocarina of Time's future. Check.
And then you have to complete another set of 7 dungeons / Just 5 in Ocarina, but same principle. Check.
After completing the final dungeon, you meet Zelda and she gives you your final mission to defeat Ganon. Check.
So you finally get to Ganon's Tower, and after several battles, beat the game and everyone's happy. Check.

Even most of the worldbuilding was first established by A Link to the Past, with it being the first to introduce Kakariko Village and its music, the first Zelda to have a distinct desert area as well as Lake Hylia, as well as the theme songs for Zelda and Ganondorf. It also first brought the Zora as an actual intelligent race, though admittedly Ocarina of Time expanded a lot on that.

Ocarina of Time did bring up a lot of new concepts. In terms of worldbuilding, the best stuff it brought to the series was all the different races, which gave a lot of variety to a previously very regular human world. But the main story, and the main progression of the game, is the same.

I also heavily disagree with Ocarina of Time having good pacing. The whole opening third of the game moves at a ridiculously sluggish pace, and constantly forces you to run around between areas to get stupid Ocarina songs you need to progress in the most obscure ways possible. The game only really picks up after you get the Master Sword, from which point onwards I would agree about it being a masterpiece.

I didnt say that ALTTP didnt have its merits or was never trying to downplay it.The game did bring and laid the foundations of what we know for Zelda nowadays.Awesome dungeons?It was ALTTP that introduced it.The game that truly fixated on what Zelda is all about?It was ALTTP that basically did it.Some of the music that are the most recognizable in gaming history?It was ALTTP that introduced it.Even though ALTTP is not my favorte Zelda, im not blind to its achievements.But I will not here sit iddly by when people make the ridiculous claim that OOT was no big deal and any Zelda game would fill its shoes, or that it didnt influence as heavily as it did the gaming industry in general when it clearly did.Its as ridiculous as saying that ALTTP could be replaced by any other 2D Zelda and people would feel the same about it.Thats simply wrong.For better or for worse,I guess thats what happens when you have two awesome games and people really passionate about it discussing about them.

I think in the end this is a very personal thing.Funnily enough, I played ALTTP a few years back, 2013 if I had to venture a guess, and the game isnt even in my top 5 Zelda games.Hell, I even like the the twin GBC Zelda games more(Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons)I think this discussion we are having about both games ended not really being about what game did what first, but more about this game is better because X user like it more, and thats what causing the friction.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:

I was.So yeah, there is nostalgia, as any good game would create over the course of years.Its personally my favorite, for the better or worse of it.When did you play OOT and whats your favorite Zelda game?

My first Zelda was A Link to the Past in the early 2000's, and it's my 2nd favorite.

But seriously... stop downplaying the comparisons between OoT and ALttP. You say Ocarina of Time was the one that revolutionized and established the Zelda formula, and was completely different from A Link to the Past, but that's just completely wrong. It was A Link to the Past that established everything.

You meet Zelda and she gives you the objective of looking for 3 spiritual stone things. Check.
You obtain all the stones to get the Master Sword, but then shit goes down. Check.
You're transported to an alternate reality where everything is messed up / Ocarina of Time's future. Check.
And then you have to complete another set of 7 dungeons / Just 5 in Ocarina, but same principle. Check.
After completing the final dungeon, you meet Zelda and she gives you your final mission to defeat Ganon. Check.
So you finally get to Ganon's Tower, and after several battles, beat the game and everyone's happy. Check.

Even most of the worldbuilding was first established by A Link to the Past, with it being the first to introduce Kakariko Village and its music, the first Zelda to have a distinct desert area as well as Lake Hylia, as well as the theme songs for Zelda and Ganondorf. It also first brought the Zora as an actual intelligent race, though admittedly Ocarina of Time expanded a lot on that.

Ocarina of Time did bring up a lot of new concepts. In terms of worldbuilding, the best stuff it brought to the series was all the different races, which gave a lot of variety to a previously very regular human world. But the main story, and the main progression of the game, is the same.

I also heavily disagree with Ocarina of Time having good pacing. The whole opening third of the game moves at a ridiculously sluggish pace, and constantly forces you to run around between areas to get stupid Ocarina songs you need to progress in the most obscure ways possible. The game only really picks up after you get the Master Sword, from which point onwards I would agree about it being a masterpiece.

Exactly this, OOT is a great game but some people overstate what it actually is and what it did, if it wasn't a 3D Zelda it would be almost the same as ALTTP.

Wyrdness said:
mZuzek said:

Exactly this, OOT is a great game but some people overstate what it actually is and what it did, if it wasn't a 3D Zelda it would be almost the same as ALTTP.

and ppl also said RE7 VR is a completely different experience compared to the standard RE7. just food for thought

m_csquare said:
Wyrdness said:

and ppl also said RE7 VR is a completely different experience compared to the standard RE7. just food for thought

Yeah and? Point doesn't even match the context of the argument as ultimately RE7 is still the same game which would not be far off in comparing the approaches of OOT and ALTTP.

Wyrdness said:
Miyamotoo said:

I am in gaming from 3. gen, and before I bought N64 and played Zelda OoT I had PS1 for couple of years, and Zelda OoT was totally different to all 3D games I played, it was really masterpiece. There is reason why has 99 metascore.

Again, thats not true. Like I wrote, "OoT was released at end of 98" when we already have 3-4 years of games in 3D, OoT was masterpiece in evre way its didnt get praise just beaucse "its 1st 3D Zelda". Its Zelda OoT that influced all other future Zelda games and other games that are not Zelda games. OoT Zelda is even today considered for "most complete" Zelda game, like I wrote, evre other 3D Zelda game had some flaws consider to Zelda OoT. So no, any other 3D Zelda wouldnt make same results. Yes it almost perfect for 98", thats why its widely considered for best game of all time with highest meta score ever.

Read your own reply again then read what I posted to you earlier you just admitted my point indirectly with out even realizing and no OOT never influenced all future Zelda games that is incorrect it only influence TP all the games after it are significantly different you're on a nostalgia trip here.

Lol, of course that OoT influenced all future 3D Zelda's and some other games in industry (with its mechanics, world, pacing, dungeons, battles, bosses...). This has nothing with nostalgia, because I actually played ALTTP before OoT, and fact is that PoT is best reviewed and widely considered for best game of all time.

Even Aonuma said that he always trying to top Ocarina of Time, and that he feels he done that with BoTW.