By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Breath of the Wild finally dethrone Ocarina of Time for people? Let's look at the facts

Miyamotoo said:

You accusing me that I use my opinion like fact but you are doing same thing, but clear fact is that is highest rated game in history. I wrote almost perfect not perfect. OoT is not ALTTP, OoT have totally different experience than ALTTP. Not any 3D Zelda could be released back then and make some result, like I wrote Zelda OoT is complete package where everything is done right, that isn't case with any other 3D Zelda.

But why exactly OoT "showed industry how to properly design game in 3D", OoT was released at end of 98" when we already have 3-4 years of games in 3D, OoT was masterpiece in evre way its didnt get praise just beaucse "its 1st 3D Zelda". Yes, SM64 and Zelda OoT are considered for one of most influenced games in gaming industry.

How long have you bee gaming because if you were around for the jump to 3D you'd know the is a massive difference in 3D games before Mario 64 was unveiled and 3D games after and the was a change in how to design games in 3D after OOT. Before OOT most games were linear 3D (sometimes 2.5D) corridor styles games, OOT showed how to apply their designs to a 3D world after M64 showed them how to create 3D Worlds that is the actual impact of OOT and no it's not an opinion either.

This is why any 3D Zelda game can be released back then with the same result because the simply wouldn't be any game like it, the technical aspects are what highly elevated things back then hence why being the first 3D Zelda is a massive factor in how the game is seen by people. Don't give me the whole it was perfect for it's time either because so was the likes of Pong, Space Invaders and SMB.

Around the Network

Really odd to see people putting so much stock in Metacritic scores, especially across generations.

the_dengle said:
We have this exact same discussion every 3-5 years and the answer is always yes.

...uh...how do we keep having the same discussion about whether OoT is the best if every new Zelda game dethrones it?

Anyway, a game's reputation is something that's really hard to predict. I suspect I will personally like BotW more than OoT, because, well, OoT hasn't aged particularly well and I think other Nintendo series and even other 3D Zelda game have outdone it, but in terms of what the general consensus is? Probably not. Nostalgia is difficult to overcome.

Wyrdness said:
Nautilus said:

Eh, you are criticising him for using his own opinion as facts, but you are kinda doing the same thing.

I wouldnt go as far as to say that OOT was a perfect game.If you go back to it now and replay the game, there are many things that could have been "made" better.And yes, Mario 64 did some of those things first.But you need to remember that no game is perfect, even if they are awarded a perfect score.And for the time OOT, much like Mario 64, was a masterpiece for what they did.It was not only in the technical aspects of it, but also on everything else.Yes, you can credit some of it to Mario because the game launched first(even though both games were in development together, and thus learning from each other), but there were things that Zelda pioneered ijn its own.First, OOT layed the foundations of the next 4 Zelda games.Not only that, but it basically influenced the whole adventure genre.I dont know if you would include this as a technical aspect, but it introduced target locking(or perfected it at any rate), it basically layed foundations on how to make a real time combat system, since it was one of the first games for that, the level design was superb, art direction was excellent, etc etc.I mean, just go to the original reviews and they will probably say the same thing.

And no, not any Zelda in 3D would have had the same impact, simply because it wouldnt have done it as well as OOT did(Im assuming here that you are implying that the first 3D Zelda game could have been "bad" or not as good as OOT and still performed the same).OOT is remember as such a masterpiece because thats what it is:a masterpiece.Its because it implemented things so well, and pioneered so much stuff that people remember it so foundly.And that is both a personal view qand also a critic-wise one, just go to metacritic to see it.Now, will BOTW be technically a better game?Sure.I mean, it will be learning from the past too, so it makes for a somewhat easy answer.But will it be the most relevant game?(in terms of achievements)Now that is the question,even though I believe it wont beat OOT.

I personally believe this thread would have been better made in a few weeks, when the game is out, but my veridict so far is:Its not likely going to be better than OOT.

Except what I said is not an opinion it can be backed up concretely in comparisons, OOT is elevated by the technical aspects it had in it, the story, approach and structure of the game could have been lifted straight out of ALTTP. This is why a number of people often highlight extreme nostalgia when people try to palm it off as flawless. Your argument here is pretty null and void talking about master pieces and such because the point is one you've failed to debunk in any aspect.

Yes any of the 3D Zelda gmaes could have been released back then and got the same result you know why they're all great games and nothing would have been like any of them back then because the technical aspects are something other games couldn't shake a stick at. Zelda influenced the whole adventure genre long before OOT and it's this type of notion that causes people to claim nostalgia, the isn't much different in how OOT was approached compared to the previous games in fact ALTTP had far more changes to the approach, OOT just did the same only in 3D building on what M64 brought. The first concepts of OOT where going to be a game taking place inside a castle as a hub as well as well, it's not OOT's approach that influenced anything it was the techincal achievement from the programmers that did.

OOT didn't even influence the following games that much either save for TP like you claimed and this isn't an opinion it's a fact, MM had a completely diddferent approach as did WW, SS and now BOTW, all of these games utilized approaches and changes to the structure that differ significantly from games before them, OOT's only differing factor to ALTTP was that it was in 3D so yes I stand by my view.

Its really funny that you keep calling my assertions as opinions and yours as facts when you go on claiming that any 3D Zelda game that launched back at those days would perform the same, a situation that does not even exist and thus impossible to check.Double standards I guess...

And also again, which I am going to repeat myself quite often here, I never said that OOT was flawless.No game ever is, especially if you take a second look at it years after.But OOT was as good as any game could get back in the day, and thus it is a masterpiece by definition.And different as you try to state, this is not only my opinion, but the general opinion.Just go to metacritic to see the score, or read the reviews.Hell, even the remaster version got to 94, being the "flawed" game you keep saying it is.

I wont deny that there is alot of nostalgia behind OOT.Of course there is.Any game of that caliber would create alot of nostalgia.And that constant comparison betwenn ALTTP is ridiculous.Sure it does have some resemblances, as any game within a said franchise has, but the differences are also big.The combat is completely different, the exploration is completely different(due to the 3D yes, but different nonetheless), the story is completely different(and in this aspect, OOT is more important, since its the game that splits the timeline into three different ones) and so on.As I said, just go to the original reviews to see how much of an impact the game had.And I never said that Zelda hadnt impacted the adventure genre before, I just said that OOT impacted the genre going foward, into the 3D space and so on.And to keep saying that "any Zelda would do" is also ridiculous.Could that be true?Of course it could.But the point is:It never happened!So for someone who keeps saying that what you say are facts, this one in particular is especially disheartening.

As for the next Zeldas, it did influence them.TP and WW has heavy influences in it, being it on combat or structure of the game in general(how you get items or use them, that you need to use said item in the dungeon and so on), but yeah, every new Zelda entry has a different thintg going for it.Zelda 1 was, well Zelda 1.Then Zelda two had a side scrolling thing going for it.Then ALTTP was back to the origins, but refined to the max.Then OOT revolutionized everything.MM was a mixture of OOT and ALTTP.TP was OTT 2, and so on.But the general feeling of the games post OOT were similar.You find a dutgeon, get a new item, use that item on that dungeon to beat it, the combat had a similar feeling(outside of SS of course, because it heavily used motion controls), the game were more linear in nature(more than ALTTP),and so on.BOTW is the new revolution, the one that "reinvents" the Zelda formula and thus why its the one I personally think that could beat OOT.

Look, it seems like I am more of a OOT fan you more of a ALTTP fan.Both games have huge nostalgia behind it, lets not deny it.But please, please just stop about this "mine are facts, yours not" bullshit.Unless something is backed with hard facts, such as how well the game runs, or by actual critics scores in metacritic or such, or even Nintendo claims on the games, nothing is trully a fact, otherwise we wouldnt be discussing it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

pokoko said:
Really odd to see people putting so much stock in Metacritic scores, especially across generations.

Its not that I put so much stock in it, its simnply that its the closest thing we have as a general concensus, without falling in that "its only your opinion, so its different for me", because otherwise we could go on forever in saying what game can be considered better.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

Its really funny that you keep calling my assertions as opinions and yours as facts when you go on claiming that any 3D Zelda game that launched back at those days would perform the same, a situation that does not even exist and thus impossible to check.Double standards I guess...

And also again, which I am going to repeat myself quite often here, I never said that OOT was flawless.No game ever is, especially if you take a second look at it years after.But OOT was as good as any game could get back in the day, and thus it is a masterpiece by definition.And different as you try to state, this is not only my opinion, but the general opinion.Just go to metacritic to see the score, or read the reviews.Hell, even the remaster version got to 94, being the "flawed" game you keep saying it is.

I wont deny that there is alot of nostalgia behind OOT.Of course there is.Any game of that caliber would create alot of nostalgia.And that constant comparison betwenn ALTTP is ridiculous.Sure it does have some resemblances, as any game within a said franchise has, but the differences are also big.The combat is completely different, the exploration is completely different(due to the 3D yes, but different nonetheless), the story is completely different(and in this aspect, OOT is more important, since its the game that splits the timeline into three different ones) and so on.As I said, just go to the original reviews to see how much of an impact the game had.And I never said that Zelda hadnt impacted the adventure genre before, I just said that OOT impacted the genre going foward, into the 3D space and so on.And to keep saying that "any Zelda would do" is also ridiculous.Could that be true?Of course it could.But the point is:It never happened!So for someone who keeps saying that what you say are facts, this one in particular is especially disheartening.

As for the next Zeldas, it did influence them.TP and WW has heavy influences in it, being it on combat or structure of the game in general(how you get items or use them, that you need to use said item in the dungeon and so on), but yeah, every new Zelda entry has a different thintg going for it.Zelda 1 was, well Zelda 1.Then Zelda two had a side scrolling thing going for it.Then ALTTP was back to the origins, but refined to the max.Then OOT revolutionized everything.MM was a mixture of OOT and ALTTP.TP was OTT 2, and so on.But the general feeling of the games post OOT were similar.You find a dutgeon, get a new item, use that item on that dungeon to beat it, the combat had a similar feeling(outside of SS of course, because it heavily used motion controls), the game were more linear in nature(more than ALTTP),and so on.BOTW is the new revolution, the one that "reinvents" the Zelda formula and thus why its the one I personally think that could beat OOT.

Look, it seems like I am more of a OOT fan you more of a ALTTP fan.Both games have huge nostalgia behind it, lets not deny it.But please, please just stop about this "mine are facts, yours not" bullshit.Unless something is backed with hard facts, such as how well the game runs, or by actual critics scores in metacritic or such, or even Nintendo claims on the games, nothing is trully a fact, otherwise we wouldnt be discussing it.

I suggest you reread the post because I'm not talking about your opinion in the post I'm addressing other aspects, yes any 3D Zelda could be released back then because no other game would be like it and the technical aspects would still be unmatched. OOT Remaster got 94% and? It's like you can't even grasp context and have been put on tilt because OOT is not seen as the be all by everyone anymore because if you read things properly you'd see I said it's a great game it's just elevated by the technical achievements of Nintendo at the time, ironically this metacritic of the remaster backs my stance on releasing any 3D Zelda game back then because that is the consistent range of all 3D games.

The comparisons between ALTTP and OOT are justified because we're comparing the approach and structures of the game, the differences you listed are technical aspects of going into 3D which I've been pointing out in my posts you've literally just proven my point here. ALTTP added a structure to the Zelda games that the player followed as opposed to just free roaming, this opened up a design for story driven games inside the free wondering adventure, this is what ALTTP added alongside many concepts used in the games after.

Get off your high horse mate because it's clear you don't even understand the argument you've been trying to argue against, your very own reply admits I'm right in that technical aspects were the main differences for OOT and the impact it caused, this backs what I'm saying as all the 3D Zelda games after would have had the same impact as they have numourous technical aspects that no other game at the time would have had as well as being great game. So yes I stand by it and if that makes you cry to fricking bad swallow it.

I present to you Nintendo fans, ladies and gentlemen.

Wyrdness said:
Nautilus said:

I suggest you reread the post because I'm not talking about your opinion in the post I'm addressing other aspects, yes any 3D Zelda could be released back then because no other game would be like it and the technical aspects would still be unmatched. OOT Remaster got 94% and? It's like you can't even grasp context and have been put on tilt because OOT is not seen as the be all by everyone anymore because if you read things properly you'd see I said it's a great game it's just elevated by the technical achievements of Nintendo at the time, ironically this metacritic of the remaster backs my stance on releasing any 3D Zelda game back then because that is the consistent range of all 3D games.

The comparisons between ALTTP and OOT are justified because we're comparing the approach and structures of the game, the differences you listed are technical aspects of going into 3D which I've been pointing out in my posts you've literally just proven my point here. ALTTP added a structure to the Zelda games that the player followed as opposed to just free roaming, this opened up a design for story driven games inside the free wondering adventure, this is what ALTTP added alongside many concepts used in the games after.

Get off your high horse mate because it's clear you don't even understand the argument you've been trying to argue against, your very own reply admits I'm right in that technical aspects were the main differences for OOT and the impact it caused, this backs what I'm saying as all the 3D Zelda games after would have had the same impact as they have numourous technical aspects that no other game at the time would have had as well as being great game. So yes I stand by it and if that makes you cry to fricking bad swallow it.

Oh, I read all right.Its you that seems to be unwilling to even consider the other side of the coin, or actually acknoledge anything I said.First of all saying with absolute garantee that a fictional game would have done as good as OOT is wrong by nature, its a fact as you like so well to say, simply because that scenario dosent exist.Second, while any Zelda game would have done great anyway, as the track record by the franchise implies, its wouldnt have been regarded as high as OOT, assuming that the game was worse.Its a simple thing.If a game score 9, and the other scores 10, the game that scores higher will have a a higher following.

And what you keep refering as technical aspects is also wrong.I have so far thought that these technical aspects are actually the coding of the game, how the game runs and all those things, but what you are actually referencing is the designs and overall decisions made to the game.OOT had a different pacing as ALTTP did.Once it opened up, ALTTP let you go to any dungeon to any order, and OOT had a more linear path to it.Combat is completely different, story is more fleshed out( and carachters have more a role in it, othern than just Link), and so on, as I have already said.

Look, as I read that last paragraph and you seem to be somehow insulted by what I said, be it because what Im saying its true and you cant find a decent reply to it or because you dont like me(or both of them, could also be the case), and since you cant even accept the basics of what Im trying to say(which is what discussion is all about), lets leave it at we agree to disagree.When someone gets so low as to start insulting someone to make a point is the moment it is not worth discussing the subject with him anymore.

mZuzek said:
Miyamotoo
S.Peelman                                 
Nautilus

I just want to ask you people... when you played Ocarina of Time for the first time, were you kids playing it on a N64 in the 90's?

I was.So yeah, there is nostalgia, as any good game would create over the course of years.Its personally my favorite, for the better or worse of it.When did you play OOT and whats your favorite Zelda game?

Wyrdness said:
Miyamotoo said:

You accusing me that I use my opinion like fact but you are doing same thing, but clear fact is that is highest rated game in history. I wrote almost perfect not perfect. OoT is not ALTTP, OoT have totally different experience than ALTTP. Not any 3D Zelda could be released back then and make some result, like I wrote Zelda OoT is complete package where everything is done right, that isn't case with any other 3D Zelda.

But why exactly OoT "showed industry how to properly design game in 3D", OoT was released at end of 98" when we already have 3-4 years of games in 3D, OoT was masterpiece in evre way its didnt get praise just beaucse "its 1st 3D Zelda". Yes, SM64 and Zelda OoT are considered for one of most influenced games in gaming industry.

How long have you bee gaming because if you were around for the jump to 3D you'd know the is a massive difference in 3D games before Mario 64 was unveiled and 3D games after and the was a change in how to design games in 3D after OOT. Before OOT most games were linear 3D (sometimes 2.5D) corridor styles games, OOT showed how to apply their designs to a 3D world after M64 showed them how to create 3D Worlds that is the actual impact of OOT and no it's not an opinion either.

This is why any 3D Zelda game can be released back then with the same result because the simply wouldn't be any game like it, the technical aspects are what highly elevated things back then hence why being the first 3D Zelda is a massive factor in how the game is seen by people. Don't give me the whole it was perfect for it's time either because so was the likes of Pong, Space Invaders and SMB.

I am in gaming from 3. gen, and before I bought N64 and played Zelda OoT I had PS1 for couple of years, and Zelda OoT was totally different to all 3D games I played, it was really masterpiece. There is reason why has 99 metascore.

Again, thats not true. Like I wrote, "OoT was released at end of 98" when we already have 3-4 years of games in 3D, OoT was masterpiece in evre way its didnt get praise just beaucse "its 1st 3D Zelda". Its Zelda OoT that influced all other future Zelda games and other games that are not Zelda games. OoT Zelda is even today considered for "most complete" Zelda game, like I wrote, evre other 3D Zelda game had some flaws consider to Zelda OoT. So no, any other 3D Zelda wouldnt make same results. Yes it almost perfect for 98", thats why its widely considered for best game of all time with highest meta score ever.

mZuzek said:
Miyamotoo
S.Peelman                                 
Nautilus

I just want to ask you people... when you played Ocarina of Time for the first time, were you kids playing it on a N64 in the 90's?

I believe I played it around 99".