By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Survey: What exactly upsets you about DLC for BOTW

Stance on BOTW DLC

Fine execept for the harder difficulty 99 18.97%

Zelda should not have DLC 56 10.73%

Zelda having DLC is fine ... 67 12.84%

Hate the idea of DLC in general 70 13.41%

Gonna wait and see if its worth it 55 10.54%

Planning on getting it along side BOTW 86 16.48%

Indifferent/do not care 68 13.03%

Will wait a big for a com... 21 4.02%

Total:522
John2290 said:
It has blemished Nintendos reputation for me, As the company who created the seal of quality they choose now to ruin that, and too think I was gonna buy a switch for this game. Every announcement they make repels me from it. I now want to pay Nintendo to keep the switch away from me.

So what exactly do you play on? I mean doesnt everyone do season passes these days?

Around the Network
Nem said:

I came to hate the idea of DLC. It was a fair an honest idea wich was deturped and raped screaming into greedy practices.

Games used to ship complete. If they weren't, they would be delayed or they would release an expansion or a sequal. DLC should be something beyond the main game, an expansion, delivered in digital form or smaller chunks, but a completely new product, not parts of the main games chopped off and sold seperatly.

As such, in an ideal world i would completely ban DLC and would go back to boxed expansions.

In an ideal world, there would be no expansions, only full, 100% complete sequels where in order to unlock things, you simply have to meet certain in game requirements. 

Super_Boom said:

I need more information...but I honestly don't know enough to care yet. Nintendo's foray into DLC has left me more satisfied than dissatisfied so far...so if that keeps up, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

I honestly don't get the complaint about the timing though. To me, it's basically them saying they play to continuously support the game after launch. That's only a plus in my book. *shrugs*

OOT was basically, at the time of release, a perfect game. No DLC, no "support" beyond launch, no patches... nothing. DLC is not needed. It adds nothing to a game because it's all just content that WOULD have been in your game in the first place. 

The hard mode being DLC is what really bothers me. The other things? Not so much.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

John2290 said:
KLXVER said:

So what exactly do you play on? I mean doesnt everyone do season passes these days?

Not every one, but that does not mean Nintendo should void their seal of quality in favour of Dlc  and Patches that go along with that. Read y previous comment.

Witcher 3 had day one patches and announced DLC before launch. I think that game turned out pretty fine. The Nintendo seal of quality has never meant anything in regards to quality but even if it did, adding DLC to games wouldn't tarnish it a bit. 

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Rocketjay8 said:

So you are saying that Mario Kart 8 and ssb4 are bad because of dlc?

No, I'm saying I feel as if Nintendo products aren't the fully refined experiences  and the sense of quality I once had has now left me. Mario kart 8 and SSB4 have MP so DLC is less conscerning. You know what comes with DLC? Patches, day one and DLC patches. They bassically just voided the one good thing that they had going for them as a company. Strong quality first party sigle player on release that remains the same well beyond the consoles life cycle.

If not Mario Kart 8 and Smash then what Nintendo products are you talking about? Most of the bad games Nintendo has made recently don't even have DLC, so I'm not seeing why you think DLC has anything to do with the quality of their games. Patches (which aren't even a bad thing) can exist regardless of DLC, see Mario Kart 7 as a prime example.

pray4mojo said:

OOT was basically, at the time of release, a perfect game. No DLC, no "support" beyond launch, no patches... nothing. DLC is not needed. It adds nothing to a game because it's all just content that WOULD have been in your game in the first place. 

I personally don't believe in a perfect game. No matter how great something is, there's always room for improvement. In OOT's case...imagine the same game, only with an optional Light Temple that be purchased later. New enemies, new puzzles, and a new Gold Tunic. I know I'd love this extra content personally.

Its a matter of reference for me. DLC can be done poorly, if the base game is split up intentionally, or it could be done well, and offer supplemental material that only improves a complete game. Everything we've heard so far has indicated the latter...though that might change as more information is released. Still, if this content isn't ready, there's no reason it would have been in the game that is releasing in two weeks, so that's honestly a complaint I can't understand.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334