By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are the gaming preferences of this community different from the general population?

axumblade said:
The fanbase of gaming websites in general doesnt represent the popular opinion of gamers.

This.

Around the Network
Geralt said:

If you include all windows tablets, phones, surface, microsoft easily wins in the handheld department! If you include vita and 3ds youd have to include these devices because microsoft has an exclusive lineup of games for the Windows store!

lol yes we are disconnected to reality alright XD

not recognising 3ds and vita as a gaming console because it is not a HOME console... is like saying mixed martial arts is not a sports because it is not in the olympic

Just like I'm a big movie fan and don't watch Transformers or DC or Fast and Furious movies in theaters. Yet they make billions (not individually for DC, but combined). The hardcore segment will always differentiate from the mass audiences.

I am Iron Man

Also I used to get Madden every year but eventually I learned that nothing actually changes and I was just draining all my time into a circular pattern. Ever since High School I've always played games with ends. I don't get into never ending online stuff or yearly titles of any sort. I enjoy stories and will replay games like Heavy Rain and keep them in my permanent collection, but nothing like COD is ever touched because it's become so contrived at this point. I guess many of us are jaded by that sort of game.

I am Iron Man

On a game forum attached to a site about game sales, it shouldn't be too hard to understand the demographic is different from that of the general population.

Around the Network
FentonCrackshell said:
The VGC community goes where console sales go. I remember back in 2011 this place was a haven for Wii fans. And I know everyone remembers the WiiU/PS4/XI sales prediction thread. Wii fans were out in full force. Now we see Sony fans more than any other fans. That's the way it goes around here. As far as the "disconnected from reality" comment; people will like what they like. Most gamers who post to gaming sites aren't casuals. What appeals to us will usually be broader than that of "reality".

This is actually a very interesting point. Right now most "neutral" gaming sites, are filled with Sony fanboys, upvoting everything positive about Sony, and downvoting anything negative about Sony, regardless of rationality. I remember back in 2009 or so, when the fanboys were more even between Xbox and Playstation, which then accurately represented the sales of the consoles as well. While I believe most of those are younger kids, who feel more strongly about the console their parents bought them, this kind of attitude seems to spread. People just like to hear positive things about their choice of console. In community driven places like this, it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem though, and since we have more people past their puberty and a lot of people who were gamers long before the turn of the millenium, there is a lot more varied and reasonable discussions here.

As to the OP. The majority of video game consumers, do not go to online forums and talk about games. We are the minority, the most passionate about games, and do not represent the majority.

A very long time ago I made a hobby out of watching the video game industry. Ever since the first Pong box for TV was sold, I read everything I could find that had anything to do with electronic games. The predictions made over 30 years ago have mostly come true now. Some things have happened that no one could have predicted (Nintendo making a Sonic amiibo). But over all these years one thing has not changed, and that is the fact that people will chose sides. It's just human nature to defend a choice they have made. Reality is in the eye of the beholder. Reality is purely subjective.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Geralt said:

Peoples love for games here is so different from what people actually buy. Why is this?

Just about everyone here does not like call of duty, fifa, madden, etc but these are the most popular franchises.

If i took a poll on here id say 45% are sony fans, 35% are Nintendo fans, 15% pc gamers, and 5% xbox gamers. When in reality its more like 50% sony, 30% microsoft, 10% pc, 10% nintendo.

I remember when 8th gen started everyone thought the wii u would crush xbox one and people thought xbox one would be a failure (its still ahead of the 360).

What makes us different than the general public? Is it enthusiasm? Age difference? Is it that people on the Internet favor some systems more than others?

Well, it's impossible to calculate how many people are PC gamers. Plus, this gen, between the big 3, the number of hard sold is: 

Nintendo: 80m

Sony: 70m

Microsoft: ? (less than 30m I guess)

So as you can see, while this forum does not reflect reality, the reality itself is that the gamer userbase is split everywhere. There's nothing THAT dominant.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

The only disconnect here seems to be your ability to qualify your stance. The forum isn't disconnected from reality, save a few, but we are not representative of it.

We're niche. We're the hardcore, the true life blood of the gaming industry. While others dabble we swim neck deep in this motherfucker, wading through the trenches.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi