By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are the gaming preferences of this community different from the general population?

Pop music is the most popular music and it is complete shit.  Just because something sells the most doesn't always mean others will view it having any quality.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
"Why is this community disconnected from reality?"

Coming from the guy that said the Switch will sell worse than the wiiU and then goes on to say the Switch will sell 15 million which is better than the wiiU...

Dude, you know what would be great? To not drag petty disputes all over the forum. No one gives a crap what X said or didn't say. What we all say here is irrelevant in the grand scheme. Just chill and have fun talking about games.

On topic, yes, it's because the sort of people that buy those games are not the sort of people that come to boards to talk about games. They are not hardcore about it like we are. They don't care about it like we do. They buy the most socually accepted and famous games so they can casually mention it to their friends once in a while in conversation and not look like nerds. That's all.

Nem said:
Captain_Yuri said:
"Why is this community disconnected from reality?"

Coming from the guy that said the Switch will sell worse than the wiiU and then goes on to say the Switch will sell 15 million which is better than the wiiU...

Dude, you know what would be great? To not drag petty disputes all over the forum. No one gives a crap what X said or didn't say. What we all say here is irrelevant in the grand scheme. Just chill and have fun talking about games.

On topic, yes, it's because the sort of people that buy those games are not the sort of people that come to boards to talk about games. They are not hardcore about it like we are. They don't care about it like we do. They buy the most socually accepted and famous games so they can casually mention it to their friends once in a while in conversation and not look like nerds. That's all.

Or you know... I could show him how disconnected he is from reality since he wants to show us how disconnected we are...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

We're more informed than the general gaming public. We're all gaming elitist jerks.

KLXVER said:
Because most of us are not casuals...

True. But that doesn't explain why so many people can't GRASP what reality is outside of their own bubble. I say things all the time on here that get panned to hell and back simply because I'm echoing the average consumers wishes/thoughts etc. It's almost like a rule that you can not ackowledge reality because it's not welcome and they don't want to deal with it.

Around the Network
pray4mojo said:
KLXVER said:
Because most of us are not casuals...

True. But that doesn't explain why so many people can't GRASP what reality is outside of their own bubble. I say things all the time on here that get panned to hell and back simply because I'm echoing the average consumers wishes/thoughts etc. It's almost like a rule that you can not ackowledge reality because it's not welcome and they don't want to deal with it.

because a large percentage of gamers that frequent a site like this are extremely blinkered in their views, they don't come here to hear different opinions or reality, they come here to find confirmation of their bias that System X or Y is the best or that game X or Y sucks/rocks. It is in some way the same reason that Fake News in recent years has become so successful, people prefer to hear confirmation of their beliefs even if those beliefs don't reflect reality. People that play some highly popular, consumer focused games are generally not going to give a crap about reading how much said system Sold or what is the next best thing and hence they are not going to be overly represented here. The reality is also while PC gamers are by far the largest gaming community they would be one of the smallest on sites like this as they really live on different forums (hell even the OP seems to have a bizzare twist on reality in thinking PC gaming is only 10% with Sony somehow being 50%) . Nintendo and Sony also have a large dedicated following from historical relationships.

cod, fifa, madden, etc players are casual enough to not enter in internet forums.
those who caro more about gaming are here, so, distribution is different among those who like gaming more(enough to enter in gaming discussion forums).

I love CoD and Madden. That doesn't stop me from playing games like Persona, Nier, Kingdom Hearts, Hyperdimension etc....

nanarchy said:
pray4mojo said:

because a large percentage of gamers that frequent a site like this are extremely blinkered in their views, they don't come here to hear different opinions or reality, they come here to find confirmation of their bias that System X or Y is the best or that game X or Y sucks/rocks. It is in some way the same reason that Fake News in recent years has become so successful, people prefer to hear confirmation of their beliefs even if those beliefs don't reflect reality. People that play some highly popular, consumer focused games are generally not going to give a crap about reading how much said system Sold or what is the next best thing and hence they are not going to be overly represented here. The reality is also while PC gamers are by far the largest gaming community they would be one of the smallest on sites like this as they really live on different forums (hell even the OP seems to have a bizzare twist on reality in thinking PC gaming is only 10% with Sony somehow being 50%) . Nintendo and Sony also have a large dedicated following from historical relationships.

I fully agree with your statement about the confirmation bias. This is the case with every aspect of your opinions, not just games. Given how many sources of information and how many different communities are easily accessible in this age and day, it is easy to surround yourself with like minded people who will echo your views. (Depending on what sites you visit, what sources of information you follow, what people you interact with, etc.) This kind of fake reality is more pleasing, but of course will not be representative of things happening outside of your own bubble.

Sometimes just wondering into comment section in YouTube on some very popular videos, I see all kinds of comments that I typically don't see in my own "bubble". Comments I find incredibly ignorant, disrespecftul, unbelievable, and often make me lose my faith in humanity in general. This is a reminder that so many different kinds of people are outside of my typical bubble, and honestly I am happy I am able to avoid those kind of people, even if means living in a kind of an illusion.

jonathanalis said:
cod, fifa, madden, etc players are casual enough to not enter in internet forums.
those who caro more about gaming are here, so, distribution is different among those who like gaming more(enough to enter in gaming discussion forums).

I feel like those "casual" gamers don't get enough credit in these kind of "hardcore" gaming communities. Even people who play only Fifa can be incredibliy passionate about it. There is an entire meta game aspect to the games, and channels and sites entirely dedicated to in depth strategies. There are many forums just dedicated to those games, where many such people are highly passionate about that one sports game. I know this because I have been a part of that in the past. Again while that might not be the majority of those who play said game, there are so many communities and different levels of involvement, that it is nearly impossible to see the entire picture.

It is easy to say: "Yes, we are the ones passionate about gaming!", without even seeing the whole picture, because it makes us feel special. I also like to think I am somehow superior as a "hardcore gamer" to others, simply because I try to see all viewpoints, and try to repect and love all the games regardless of if they are considered casual or hardcore. However, I also realize that my thinking is restricted to my own viewpoint, and thus I am going to be bias no matter what, and in the end I'll just tell myself whatever makes me feel better in an attempt to satisfy my ego. Alas, that is the human nature I fear.

Let it be knows I play COD (casually) not hardcore. Only when my mate visits my house.

Fifa I hate, i am a PES man however.