By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Breath of the Wild getting paid DLC (new hard mode/new dungeons/new story)

BraLoD said:
WoodenPints said:
As long as the content is good i'm fine with with season passes, They give me an extra reason to keep playing/replay games in the future as the content arrives.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7511613

If you have anything to say or add to the discussion actually type it rather than post a link with the sole intention of derailing a thread and turning it into a flame war.

Around the Network
Peh said:
NATO said:

Your argument is moot, Nintendo are following suit this gen, by the time the season pass ends there will be complete edition, and even if there isn't, it would still be cheaper to buy the game+dlc 6 months down the line than it would at launch, with the bonus of much/all of the dlc being there from the get-go 

There is no prime example that this happened, at all. Like I said, Nintendo never did such a thing. They only released an enhanced or complete edtition on a newer or different device like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch or Zelda Hyrule Warriors on 3DS.

Just look at Fire Emblem Awakening and its DLC. There is no complete edition to buy which contains all the DLC. So far, Nintendo is not doing something like that and not even after 6 month.

And again.

even if they don't release a complete edition, is it cheaper to buy the game + dlc 6 months down the line?

yes, yes it is, so I win either way.

NATO said:
Alkibiádēs said:

So you're going to complain about pre-orders as well? Waiting till the actual game or content is released is different to waiting for a re-release that includes everything (because you could wait a very long time). 

It's only $20 for crying out loud and some people are already claiming it's the worst thing to happen to the franchise, lol. 

It's a season pass, S E A S O N, the dlc is spread out across multiple months, if not a year, if you wait to see if all of the content is worthwhile you would be waiting the full duration, which isn't far off just waiting for a complete edition.

And if you actually bothered to read what this dlc update brings you'd realize that one pack will release in the Summer and the actual meat of the dlc pack will release during the holiday of 2017. At best you'll have to wait 8 months. 

You're going to be waiting many years for a complete edition lol (if it ever even comes). 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

m_csquare said:
Acevil said:

Wait how is this preorder tier based culture? This is akin to season pass, don't think you have to pay that day 0 or even day 1. 

Season pass is just another kind of preorder, except it's for dlc content

In some sense it's completely true. But it's also optional. Enjoy Botw without it. It's not like every Zelda game comes with an additional difficulty setting.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

BraLoD said:
Acevil said:

Wait how is this preorder tier based culture? This is akin to season pass, don't think you have to pay that day 0 or even day 1. 

Uncharted 4 standalone expansion (inside the Triple Pack, just like here) was also sold as the season pass, for $79,99 you would get Uncharted 4 and after release at some date, the expansion DLC.

I am confused with the video however, since it focused on the teir preorder bullshit that was going on at the time, that Namco and Square Enix are famous for. 

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:

This isn't specfically aimed at you but it just reminded me a lot of the kind of mindset people have for Nintendo.  I don't like the DLC but I also find it odd how a lot of Nintendo fans view Nintendo as this pure, unsullied virgin that's an idealized view of everything they want gaming to be.  They're a company and if dumbass gamers let other companies get away with things like day one DLC, paid online and other things, Nintendo isn't just going to sit on the sidelines thinking "oh, I can't do that because I'm everyone's pure virgin gaming waifu".  No, they're eventually going to do it too because they're a publicly traded gaming company just like all those other pubicly traded gaming companies.  The people in-charge at Nintendo were able to hold that off for a while but shareholders finally got their way after Miyamoto (or whoever was responsible) screwed up with that expensive Wii U gamepad.  My only hope is that when Nintendo eventually adopts other disappointing industry standards, that they do them in a way that's not as horrible as the way every other company does it.

Now, that being said, BotW has been in production for so long that I'm not surprised this is happening.  I'm guessing the DLC is a lot of the ideas that were left on the cutting room floor during production and instead of just putting the ideas on hold for the next Zelda game, Nintendo realized that the next Zelda game won't be coming for a while so they just said "screw it, just do it for this one after it's released".

NATO said:
Peh said:

There is no prime example that this happened, at all. Like I said, Nintendo never did such a thing. They only released an enhanced or complete edtition on a newer or different device like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch or Zelda Hyrule Warriors on 3DS.

Just look at Fire Emblem Awakening and its DLC. There is no complete edition to buy which contains all the DLC. So far, Nintendo is not doing something like that and not even after 6 month.

And again.

even if they don't release a complete edition, is it cheaper to buy the game + dlc 6 months down the line?

yes, yes it is, so I win either way.

Not if you go for Nintendo games. Like I said, they don't usally drop in price. So, you can wait for Nintendo Selects, and that could be about 3 years or longer. Depends on how good the game sells.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Alkibiádēs said:
NATO said:

It's a season pass, S E A S O N, the dlc is spread out across multiple months, if not a year, if you wait to see if all of the content is worthwhile you would be waiting the full duration, which isn't far off just waiting for a complete edition.

And if you actually bothered to read what this dlc update brings you'd realize that one pack will release in the Summer and the actual meat of the dlc pack will release during the holiday of 2017. At best you'll have to wait 8 months. 

You're going to be waiting many years for a complete edition lol (if it ever even comes). 

So I buy the game+season pass in 8 months for half the price, win win.

this is Nintendo listening.... moving in the right new direction!

Switch!!!

Acevil said:
m_csquare said:

Season pass is just another kind of preorder, except it's for dlc content

You can always get season pass after the content is released. 

You're still paying for future (unreleased) content.

Unless there's season pass that acts as a dlc bundle after all of the dlcs have been released. If there's such a thing, then forgive my ignorance (i usually call them dlc pack tho)