Forums - General Discussion - Should I Get This Car? UPDATED

Should I get the BMW?

Yes, it sounds like a good deal 5 10.87%

Eh, be careful, it sounds pretty sketchy 8 17.39%

No! It sounds like a scam 16 34.78%

It's too shady to be cer... 17 36.96%

Total:46
StarOcean said:

Yeah. I'll watch it :3 Well I signed some papers. But I haven't paid anything yet. Am I still legally obligated to this car?

Nope!

Worst case scenario you just call up andf say "yeah i'm not buying it, found a better deal"

Around the Network

Totally seems sketchy. But I would need more details. What is the car model? What is the term of the financing? I can see a scenario where the dealer may lie and say you put a larger down payment than you did because your credit is poor. But nothing here sounds good.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Totally seems sketchy. But I would need more details. What is the car model? What is the term of the financing? I can see a scenario where the dealer may lie and say you put a larger down payment than you did because your credit is poor. But nothing here sounds good.

I have no idea. They called it a BMW and the tag on it said 2009. Thats all the info I have on it.

NATO said:
StarOcean said:

Yeah. I'll watch it :3 Well I signed some papers. But I haven't paid anything yet. Am I still legally obligated to this car?

Nope!

Worst case scenario you just call up andf say "yeah i'm not buying it, found a better deal"

Thank god v.v I've been freaking out about that...

This whole thing rubs me the wrong way...but do what you want. I wouldn't do it.

Around the Network
cheshirescat said:
That place looks likes it's a buy-here-pay-here type dealer, probably got the cars from salvage, history reports don't always show everything. For your first car stay right the hell away from anything German, cost of ownership is ludicrous. They are built to separate the upper middle class yearning for status from their money, and I adore BMW induction engines, but there is so much mickey mouse shit that goes wrong with them that they simply aren't worth it.

Yeah my gfs dad and my aunt (who was in the car business for years) said German cars, BMW's especially, can be very pricey if anything goes wrong

StarOcean said:
cheshirescat said:
That place looks likes it's a buy-here-pay-here type dealer, probably got the cars from salvage, history reports don't always show everything. For your first car stay right the hell away from anything German, cost of ownership is ludicrous. They are built to separate the upper middle class yearning for status from their money, and I adore BMW induction engines, but there is so much mickey mouse shit that goes wrong with them that they simply aren't worth it.

Yeah my gfs dad and my aunt (who was in the car business for years) said German cars, BMW's especially, can be very pricey if anything goes wrong

Here's an example of how much bullshit it is, I owned an Audi TT, and as if a timer had gone off, the starter went out not a week after the warranty had expired.  Replacing a starter on most domestic and Japanese brands tends to set you back 200-300 dollars, for the TT it was 800.  Sensors tend to go for 200-300 dollars a pop, and if one goes out several tend to go with it, and don't get me started on the air suspension in most German cars.

No no no no no no no. Even if the car was fine, DO NOT buy a car from that dealership. There is all kinds of bad vibes coming from this whole situation.

1. I'd recommend getting your financing situation squared away from a bank BEFORE you go to a dealership (by that I mean, make sure you've been approved for a loan from a reputable place so that you can just pay the dealership cash and finance through the bank). Used car places are very hit and miss and some won't hesitate to take advantage of you. Especially if you're new to buying a car.

2. Go with something that's going to be cheaper to maintain and that's going to be more reliable. BMWs are great, but it's going to be pretty expensive to own.

Oh, and did they tell you the term and APR for the loan? Because...$270 for a car that costs $10,500 is pretty high. That's like 48 month at 16-17%. Which, considering your credit...doesn't seem too crazy...but it could also be 60 months at like 23-24%. Then you're stuck paying for an 8 year old car for 5 years.

Source: I used to sell cars/been a car guy my whole life.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

cheshirescat said:
StarOcean said:

Here's an example of how much bullshit it is, I owned an Audi TT, and as if a timer had gone off, the starter went out not a week after the warranty had expired.  Replacing a starter on most domestic and Japanese brands tends to set you back 200-300 dollars, for the TT it was 800.  Sensors tend to go for 200-300 dollars a pop, and if one goes out several tend to go with it, and don't get me started on the air suspension in most German cars.

Why are they so high maintence? Are they usually for more experienced drivers?

No. They are clearly shady and attempting to put you through the ringer.

Your credit isn't so bad that you cannot get a car, especially a lower priced one. Though you may want to have $500 to $1K for a down payment. But expect to have a higher interest rate as well... which is another reason to stay in low price.

Also - before you buy any used car.
1) go edmunds.com and kbb.com to determine value.
2) do not get attached to a car - do what is financially smart
3) if you can, secure financing from a bank, like a credit union, before you go in - this gives you more power. car dealers make deals with banks and up the actual interest rate above what a bank actually offered so the dealer can get a kickback.