By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor/Leak: Switch Hardware Specs, 1024 FLOP (Possibly 1TF) Device, Maxwell Architecture, Chat w/out Smartphone, Bluetooth Enabled...

dahuman said:
1TF FP32 would be interesting, but, I wouldn't hold my breath.

xbox one is like 80watts? or so to reach 1.4 teraflops.

Switch is like 20? watts.

Its just not possible.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:

Seems to have been a huge leak from a user from reddit.(whom has since deleted his account)

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5tsruy/leaked_indevelopment_ui_mockups/

Also on Gaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1343614&page=1 (thanks wyrdness)

Keep in mind, these documents are from an era where the device was called the NX still, so specs and features could have easily been added, removed, improved or worsened. 

Some takeaways from this :

OS uses 750MB Ram. 3.25GB Usable by developers.

Dev units did have 64GB Storage, Retail has 32GB

Unreal 4: The NX version will include these latest revisions, and will be optimized so that you can create games while taking full advantage of the hardware performance. Note that there may be restrictions on available functionality, depending on NX performance.

The device does not have a built-in mic. A headset must be connected to this port to use in-game chat or similar features.

Game Cards only go up to 32GB at the moment, Capacity variations include 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB.

Pro Controller doesn't have IR, but does have accelerometers and gryos.

Pro Controller has 2 Linear resonant actuators, which allow HD rumble. This is probably the main reason why it costs so much. 

SoC equivalent to Tegra X1 from NVIDIA.

Battery charges last for approximately three hours (the same as for the Nintendo 3DS). 

NX specifications will not use region locks. As a result, it will be possible to play any downloadable software on any NX.  So, no worries about downloadable content based off of this rumor. It's up to the developer to allow downloads from any region.

This is where EUgamer got their information and it was proved outdated by the Foxconn leak

Even the bluetooth in this leak is outdate, 4.0 vs 4.1 on Nintendo website

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
JRPGfan said:
dahuman said:
1TF FP32 would be interesting, but, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Its just not possible.

True. The Maxwell based GeForce GT 945A TDP is rated at 33w but can only reach 1024 gflops FP32. Note that actual power comsumption tends to be a bit less than the TDP rating.

There aren't any Pascal desktop cards under 75 watts yet, tho.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

spemanig said:
"Game Cards only go up to 32GB at the moment, Capacity variations include 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB."

Wonderful.

You've got a great sense of humor.

Ljink96 said:
Teeqoz said:
FP32 flops, or FP16 flops? If it's FP32, then I call BS. If it's FP16..... well it still seems sketchy, but at least it's somewhat believable.

That I don't know, so I guess I shouldn't put that in the title. It could be FP16... due to performance of Zelda alone.

It is FP16.

256 Cuda Cores * 2 instructions per clock * 1,000mhz clockrate = 512Gflop for Single Precision.

Ljink96 said:

The thing is, the document says 1024 Flops. So I can't really assume at this point. I kinda doubt switch would be .5TF, we've heard .75 from digital foundry. The document is confusing. It really doesn't specify if it's a Megaflop, Gigaflop or at FP16 or 32 but you are most likely right. 

It could be 1024Gflops and be 1TF FP16, or 1024Gflops FP32, aka 512TF. But do hardware manufacturers default to FP16 when noting specs?

You have mixed up your flops and gotten them confused.

Digital Foundry recognizes it is 750Gflop in FP16.

512TF or "Teraflops" isn't goin to happen. Not even in Scorpio. Not even in the Next Gen consoles.

Ljink96 said:
h2ohno said:
There will be 0 games that do 4k. Maybe, maybe it will allow video streaming at 4k, but more likely it was just a devit feature that will never be used at all in the final product.

All this is saying is that it has the capacity to do 4K out, not necessarily that games will run at 4K resolutions. That'd depend on the GPU if I'm correct, which isn't that great. We won't be seeing 4K games on the Switch...ever. 

It has HDMI 1.4. (You can tell by the refresh rate + resolution.)

That's the same as the Xbox One and Playstation 4, they also have the "capacity" to do 4k gaming, video at 30hz/fps, but it's unlikely to ever happen.

Jranation said:
JRPGfan said:

Switch 1024 FP16 (512 Gflops FP32).

Playstation 4 is 1,840 Gflops FP32 (aka 1.84 teraflops).

Is that good for a "handheld"?

No better or Worst than other high-end flagship handsets.

The interesting part will be how it stacks up with nVidia Tegra based around Volta.

JRPGfan said:

When its portable only its like 150 Gflops.

Which is 3 times the power of the PS Vita.

Using flops in that way is inaccurate and plain wrong. There is more to performance than just flops.

Ljink96 said:

Well then, that would be cool. But those were 3DS cartridges, which price depreceated over time. Switch carts are an entirely new beast from 3DS cards. Doesn't that play a role in price? Of course if Nintendo buys in bulk, they can get some cheap prices. I hope that high compression is an option for developers, but something's telling me Nintenod's going to want us to use sd cards for bigger games. It's just the Nintendo thing to do at this point. Now that I think about it we'll most likely get more than 32gb cards later as 3DS didn't get 8gb cards until later after launch.

If it also means anything, wikipedia has Switch with a max 128GB card size : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_game_card 

So, I'm probably just putting too much on these documents at this point. 

The thing with the Switch Carts is that the Rom manufacturers are taking advantage of newer lithography techniques in order to dramatically decrease the cost of manufacturing whilst increasing capacity.

bonzobanana said:

Why the hell is the Switch fitted with so little storage memory. The maximum size of launch Switch cartridges appears to be 8GB (64Gb) and 16GB (128Gb) but most games appear to be on much smaller cartridges.

Do you have a link for this 32GB equals bluray manufacturing cost. How much is a writable bluray disc because they normally cost more than pressed blurays and still pretty cheap.

Stamping a Disc is far faster and cheaper than building a cart. That battle was decided during the Playstation 1 era.

However Carts are certainly better for mobile, it uses less power, has no mechanical moving parts (Better for reliability.)

With that in mind, what most developers seem to be spending a ton of disc space on is lossless 7.1 Audio and full 1080P blu-ray quality video, which eats up a ton of Disk space, so having a smaller capacity is certainly not the worst thing in the world.

I agree with your sentiments, if someone can make a claim that fabrication a ROM/NAND chip, packaging it in a plastic housing with a few other electronic components is cheaper or the same price as spinning a Disk... I want to see the numbers.

invetedlotus123 said:
Wyrdness said:

That's the port output not the console itself, for example older platforms like the PS2 technically had HD output but obviously the hardware would never reach that.

Actually, PS2 did have HD games. GT 4 could be played at 1080i and Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria also could. 

It wasn't rendering the game at 1080i. The Playstation 2 simply did not have the hardware to do so with acceptable image quality and framerate.
It was using a few tricks to "upscale" the game to 1080i.

1080i is field rendered, it takes 540P and builds it into a 1080i signal.

Now the original Xbox was able to pull off a few games at 720P and 1080i natively.

JRPGfan said:

Its just not possible.

The Xbox One's chip is not the most energy efficient design to begin with.

nVidia kills AMD in performance per watt right now.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
JRPGfan said:

Switch 1024 FP16 (512 Gflops FP32).

Playstation 4 is 1,840 Gflops FP32 (aka 1.84 teraflops).

The thing is, the document says 1024 Flops. So I can't really assume at this point. I kinda doubt switch would be .5TF, we've heard .75 from digital foundry. The document is confusing. It really doesn't specify if it's a Megaflop, Gigaflop or at FP16 or 32 but you are most likely right. 

It could be 1024Gflops and be 1TF FP16, or 1024Gflops FP32, aka 512TF. But do hardware manufacturers default to FP16 when noting specs?

The document says 1024 flops per cicle. So, each cicle 1024 float operations. If run at 1 Ghz, means 1 Giga cicles per second. So 1024 gigaflops.

But probably 16FP.

Pemalite said:
invetedlotus123 said:

Actually, PS2 did have HD games. GT 4 could be played at 1080i and Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria also could. 

It wasn't rendering the game at 1080i. The Playstation 2 simply did not have the hardware to do so with acceptable image quality and framerate.
It was using a few tricks to "upscale" the game to 1080i.

1080i is field rendered, it takes 540P and builds it into a 1080i signal.

Now the original Xbox was able to pull off a few games at 720P and 1080i natively.

Yeah, I was wondering what the go was there. With so many PS2 games (including GT4 itself) failing to hit even true 480p, 1080i seemed a bridge too far.

For years people keep bringing up GT4's supposed 1080i resolution to try to make PS2 look better compared to Gamecube and Wii, but it always felt fishy.

Things that matter:

G: Is there any possibility for Final Fantasy XV to be released on Nintendo Switch?

HT: There are no Plans, it wouldn’t run…

m_csquare said:
Things that matter:

G: Is there any possibility for Final Fantasy XV to be released on Nintendo Switch?

Funny how you leave out the next sentence where he said he didn't even try it and just assumes it. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

m_csquare said:
Things that matter:

Well that would require Switch to run an engine made by Square which would take months of development time overall. I'm sure it could run, it would just be missing key effects, frame rate issues, etc. in other words it wouldn't look as good or play as well. I didn't make this thread to have hope that Switch can run huge, graphic intensive AAA games, it was more of an overall dump based off of the documents procured.