By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which type of mario do you prefer?

What type of Mario game do you prefer?

Level-based! 39 20.86%

"Open-world"/N64-like! 83 44.39%

I love them both! 55 29.41%

I hate Mario cause I have no life. 10 5.35%

Total:187

We currently have two different types of Mario games- the level-based ones like Galaxy and 3D land, and the "open-world" games like 64 and Sunshine.

Simply put, which do you prefer? Is there something that makes you prefer one over the other?

Around the Network

Level-based ones. I think Mario games excels when they're closer to the 2D ones. It's not like exploration-based ones are bad, but they feel more... boring.

Mario 64 style. Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, the N64 Banjo games, and Jak and Daxter are among my favorite games of all time. I am extreamly happy that Mario Odyessy and Yooka-Laylee are coming out this year. It would be amazing if they marked the start of another run of 3D Open World Platformers.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Personally, I prefer 3D Mario over 2D. The 2D ones are great with carefully made and varied levels and objectives, but I just prefer exploring a large open space. Finding stars, red coins and whatever other secrets, as well as doing some really tight platforming made Mario 64 and Sunshine very memorable for me, and I go back to them more often than the more modern 2D ones.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

None

Around the Network

I prefer the open sandbox style.
You should do different poll option for Galaxy a 3d world. The games are quite different in style.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Kart.

Well, 64 and Galaxy are my two favourites, so that should answer your question.

Super Mario 3D World style.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

2D Mario like the original :)