By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Arms will be the new Splatoon?

Will it be a success for Nintendo?

Yay! 56 47.86%

Mediocre 44 37.61%

Fail.... 17 14.53%

Total:117

I want to buy it. I wasn't excited for Splatoon (though I bought it, too.).

Around the Network

Maybe? I'm not too into fighting games outside of Smash so not sure I'll buy but I think it will do well.

i dont like my options here. it wont be a huge success, or a fail, but somewhere in the middle around a 7/10. but it will not be the next Splatoon for several reasons.

1. Splatoon focused on gameplay first and the controls seamlessly blended into the game. ARMS worked the other way around and built a game based on controls before focusing on gameplay.

2. Splatoon was a multiplayer shooter that offered a refreshing spin on the genre at a time when FPS games were losing their touch. it wasnt overly violent, realistic, or futuristic, but had a lot of appreciated thought put into it. ARMS was specifically designed to show off the new motion control capabilities of the Switch and fighting games have had a lot of decent ground over the years. Smash Bros, Pokken, various indie titles, etc.

3. Splatoon became a community where each player's style was unique to them. different weapons, gear, and upgrades were added to git each person's taste. the only characters who were formally named were Callie, Marie, and Captain Cuttlefish, none of which were even playable. ARMS on the other hand seems determined to make all its characters staple Nintendo mascots. meaning they dont change much if at all. you just select your character and fight.

It's not really as captivating to ME as Splatoon, but that doesn't mean others won't find it fun. I tend to wonder how in depth a game like this could possibly be for 60 bucks, plus realistically having to shell out another 80 for two more joycons in order to get the full experience.. I am happy to see another new IP from Nintendo, but I will be sticking to Splatoon. Hopefully a friend or two will pick it up, cause that's probably the only way I end up playing it.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

It will easily do 2m+ LT. Maybe not Splatoon success but definitely not W101 bombing.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

I don't think it will be as big as Splatoon; it doesn't seem quite as fresh, (pardon the pun) shooters are a more popular genre than fighters, and its focus on motion controls could turn off a lot of people.

That said, with a proper marketing push that makes the general audience aware that it can be played without motion controls, I think it could do well.

Aura7541 said:
I had my reservations, but it's great that you can play this game with a traditional controller. I think it'll sell well, just not Splatoon well.

Well splatoon well for a fighter is extremely well. Outside of ssb fighting games dont sell as crazy high. I think mkx is the 2nd highest at around 3mil? Maybe more? After that is pokken and sfv with 1mil+ and 1.5mil+ respectively (this gen)

Not quite that successful, but I think it will be a breakout success, at least. From what I've seen and heard, this game has a lot of depth and the characters are very memorable. It sounds like Nintendo is trying to make this an IP with some staying power.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

needed a marie and calie and catchy songs. (ok, and other things)
But i think it can beat 1 million in sales.

Yeah I don't think that it'll be as big as Splatoon either. I will likely buy Arms eventually, but not at launch. I can see why Nintendo chose the aesthetic for the game, trying to cash in on that Splatoon train =p