By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - What are your favourite death/black metal albums?

ktay95 said:
VGPolyglot said:

What is your type of metal?

Heavy Metal, Thrash, Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Power Metal... How many sub genres are there?? I feel like I could be here all day

Also I thought of a band I've listened too before that belongs here, Children of Bodom

More specifically Done with everything, Die for nothing and If you want peace... prepare for war.

Thanks Guitar Hero 

Well, maybe you should give some of the albums a listen. You might end up liking some of them.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
zaanan said:

Sure do - seemed like a natural outgrowth of some stuff he did on Arise and Chaos AD, which I like as well.

Yeah, I liked those albums, even if there's a lot of people who won't touch anything post-Arise. However, I haven't listened to any Sepultura post-Cavalera.

There's definitely some post Cavalera albums worth checking out. Everything from Dante onwards is good. Roorback is decent as well. Only Against and Nation are duds.

ktay95 said:
VGPolyglot said:

What is your type of metal?

Heavy Metal, Thrash, Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Power Metal... How many sub genres are there?? I feel like I could be here all day

Also I thought of a band I've listened too before that belongs here, Children of Bodom

More specifically Done with everything, Die for nothing and If you want peace... prepare for war.

Thanks Guitar Hero 

I do love Children of Bodom. Follow the Reaper is one of my favourite metal albums of all time. Their genre is a bit of a head scratcher, but there's definitely DM/BM influence, mostly in the earlier stuff. I will say though, I think "Done with Everything, Die for Nothing" is probably the worst song they've written :p

OK, so I made a video of my 10 favourite death metal albums:

Not really into straight up Black/Death metal but like a lot of Swedish/melodeath, if that counts..

If you haven't heard these, prepared to get lost in a journey.. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Used to listen to these two genres a decade plus ago, now I don't even touch it with a stick.

However, Katatonia - Brave Murder Day is still a masterpiece to my ears. Also Quietus by Evoken is a hugely impressive death/black/doom/ambient record.

Around the Network

Ew.. all these songs suck.

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

DarthMetalliCube said:

Not really into straight up Black/Death metal but like a lot of Swedish/melodeath, if that counts..

If you haven't heard these, prepared to get lost in a journey.. 

Huge fan of melodeath.  At least how it originally came out.  Not a fan of what melodeath spawned: metalcore. But I digress.  That's a fairly solid list there.  Early In Flames is still very special to me. Same with Dark Tranquillity, and unlike In Flames, they still make great music.

I wasn't gonna post much in the way of melodeath, because I consider it something different from Death Metal, but I'll add a couple important songs and albums for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z_wYRSsSHg - Carcass - This Mortal Coil <-- One of the earliest examples of Melodeath, from a band that was full on grind only a couple albums before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieOZuD6-Rsw - Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes <-- It was great to experience this album when it was new.  Death Metal was still in evolving and this band's first 4 albums were all different from one another. Their second album had a blend of death metal and folk melodies that was something very new at the time. The following album is also a masterpiece, though it took a much more psychadelic direction.

Ps3 said:
Ew.. all these songs suck.

Well, I guess that they don't measure up to rock 'n roll legend Taylor Swift!

I also made a top 10 video for black metal:

And another one for the motherland:

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.