By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you care about cover art?

Do you care about Cover Art on games?

Yes, it is very important 42 47.73%

It is somewhat important 29 32.95%

I don't care 14 15.91%

I actively hate cover art 0 0%

See Results 3 3.41%

Total:88

Had a discussion with a friend about how digital shift in mediums has made it so fewer cover arts of albums, videos, or video games have an iconic feel to them.  Growing up before internet cover art was a big part of marketing to get soemthing to pop or draw you in.  I remember many SNES box arts selling me on a game with their design and artwork such as Chrono Trigger.  Now?  Most games cover art seem to be "Render of Game Character + Game Title" with little striking elements within it.  There are exceptions, but I tend to find reverse covers, altenrate covers, or fan covers to be vastly superior to the one you'd see on a store shelf.

Of course, my friend stated they didn't care because they don't even see the cover art anymore so it is no loss.  How about you?  Do you care? What types of covers do you prefer?

Around the Network

I'm huge on cover art for video games and music. I buy all physical as long as its available.

Physical is king and a good looking box is Deff. a bonus

Twitter @CyberMalistix

yes, very important. it just feels better to own something physical, especially when it looks good.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

yes, very important. it just feels better to own something physical, especially when it looks good.

this

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

Love love love good cover art. I'm weird and tend to only appreciate things fully when I can hold them in my hand and study them with my own eyes, even when it comes to non-tangible things like games. It's why I prefer table-top games to Magic, and why I'll always seek out physical games for as long as they let me.

Also, get really annoyed when regional requirements with ratings, etc get in the way. Not usually a problem here, but the Canadian release of Gravity Rush 2 shrunk the logo to make room for the French ESRB translation. Wish I had gotten an American copy.

I am a fan of cover arts, though if I want a game, it's not a dealbreaker if it turns out to be derivative or very crappy (though it bothers me highly).

The more simplistic-approachs, the better. I've always loved the reverse The Evil Within cover because it's just so damn great.

Yeah, I think covers are very important, that's one of the reasons I still prefer physical copies, one thing that sucks though is that they are not including anything else in the case like booklets. The other day I bought The Nathan Drake Collection on PS4 and there was nothing inside the box besides the disc.

Yes. Ultimately it makes the game/your purchase more special and admired.

I bought a 3DS XL with Animal Crossing some years ago just because the box looked so nice. I'm not kidding. I don't even like Animal Crossing. So yes.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.