By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Ron Rosenbaum, world-class expert on the rise of Hitler compares him to Trump

Populist is different from using xenophobia and racism to scape goat certain groups and buoy yourself to popularity. In that sense Trump is very much taking a page out of Hitler's play book, however in the long run that will blow up in his face.

Around the Network
Srassy said:

Peh said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism

Populism is a political style of action that mobilizes a large alienated element of a population against a government which is seen as controlled by an out-of-touch closed elite that acts on behalf of its own interests. The underlying ideology of Populists can be left, right, or middle. Its goal is to unite the uncorrupt and the unsophisticated (the 'little man') against the corrupt dominant elites (usually the orthodox politicians) and their camp followers (usually the rich and the intellectuals). It is guided by the belief that political and social goals are best achieved by the direct actions of the masses. Although it comes into being where mainstream political institutions fail to deliver, there is no identifiable economic or social set of conditions that give rise to it, and it is not confined to any particular social class.[1]

Yeah, I'm aware of the dictionary definition.  But aren't they all trying to do that?  To varying degrees of success and subtlety?  Would Bernie Sanders be considered populist for you and why do I never hear him described in such terms?

Depends on what you put the blame on and how you do it. I havn't followed Bernie Sanders, so I don't know much about him. But looking at certain topics about him, he was also labeled as a populist.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Mar1217 said:
Trunkin said:

So... Bernie Sanders?

And Obama ? Bush ? Justin Trudeau (Canada) ? Jack Layton (Canada too) ?

They pretty much all used the same methods to a different degree to get their votes. As said describe by the definition, populism has no political allegiance.

This is a good read:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/sep/02/trump-erdogan-farage-the-attractions-of-populism-for-politicians-the-dangers-for-democracy

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Doesn't need an expert for this.
There already are lots of people comparing them, or better: USA to past Germany. Build a wall, own nation first, fake news, nice hair, actual actions and not just political talk, appealing to the "lower" masses that grew sick of their lives. It may be comedy but it's true.

RolStoppable said:
Srassy said:
The worst thing that can happen for these people is if Donald Trump unexpectedly does amazing. This is one of those things that only time is going to solve because people sure as heck won't change their opinions now.

Trump is going to get re-elected and he is going to pull it off with ease. His motivation to be president won't settle for anything less.

With ease? Less than a month into his first term and he's already causing national and international outrage while promoting an almost Orwellian view of the free press a.k.a fake news...

Within two years he'll be impeached and the Republicans will happily put Pence in charge. I have a feeling that parts of Trumps inner-circle are setting him up for a fall to enable this - it's hard to see why he hasn't been told to leave the idea of fake news alone, or election fraud, other than certain people want to see him fail.

Around the Network
Ostro said:
Doesn't need an expert for this.
There already are lots of people comparing them, or better: USA to past Germany. Build a wall, own nation first, fake news, nice hair, actual actions and not just political talk, appealing to the "lower" masses that grew sick of their lives. It may be comedy but it's true.

Reading this is showing how the generation today have no clue of what really happened in Germany after the first world war and are just using words or historical events without really understanding the meaning of it. And the worse part is that is exactly what a lot of anti-Trump are using to descibe him... 
This is also bad because, someone like me who would never support or vote for Trump, can see how wrong the other side is too and how they are doing exactly the same thing... Trump may be using fear of terrosism and other things... But using Hitler and stuff like to defend your point that is as wrong and out of place... a LOT of people died because of Hitler and how bad it was back then; be respectful and stop comparing what is going on right now which is really nothing compared to that.

So let's go with your points:

Build a wall
Really? Do you even have a slight understanding of what was this wall in Germany and the purpose on it? My guess is not; or you would not even dare to compare it to the wall Trump is talking about... Those are 2 completly different things. Having both concepts using the word "wall" does not imply they have the same purpose at all.

Own Nation First and Taking action instead of just talk
In what country are you living? Because I do not know any country, not trying to put their own interrests first (or interrest of their citizens)... This is quite the basics. Same goes for the taking action instead of just talking. The majority of elected politicians are actually trying to take actions (like Trump) whenever they can (hell, even the joke J. Trudeau in Canada is doing that... Not going to compare him or the country to Hitler or Germany after the first world war based on that...). 

Appealing to the lower masses -> 
"Lower" masses?
- First of all, even if you are talking about half of the USA (who voted for Trump) when you are referring to those "lower" masses, it is obviously wrong. My hope is that you are doing this and not trying to classify this half as inferior as the other which would be even worse.  
- Second, this is EXACTLY what you are doing (or this article): using names like "Hitler" to try to get people to believe how horrific Trump is...

Not even going to talk about the "Nice Hair" and other killing comparison there....

fatslob-:O said:
Any comparisons between Hitler and Trump's administration already means that the author has lost all credibility ...

Agreed. It's extremely disrespectful to the people who died in this horrific event to pretend this is even the same and I've been saying that for a long time. It reminds me of people who say "this is the worst time in America". Yea except for the time we enslaved a whole race of people and wiped out the indians but keep downplaying those horrific events because of your first world problems. 

I get not liking Trump but people need to calm down and start approaching this way more logically and stop with the exaggerations and the dramatics. I have people on my FB saying stupid stuff like "I'm so scared right now". I have an older cousin who I respect who saying stupid stuff like this and I lost a bit of respect for her. She of all people should know better. Not even going to get into how she dismisses any and all negative aspects concerning Hillary.

Whether or not he's Hitler, I'm sure that doesn't matter much to Syrian families getting bombed by the United States.

pokoko said:
celador said:
You sure it's not Ron Rosenbaum, world class victim complex?

How many Jews are in Trump's inner circle? How many times has he said he's pro-Israel?

The shit people are coming out with is embarrassing

Without speaking about the article, comparisons don't have to be exactly 1:1.  It's like saying that Ghengis Khan can't be compared to Hitler because the Monguls didn't use airplanes.

They have to be at least somewhat comparable.

Looking at Trump's twitter feed, I'd say he has more in common with your average teenage girl.