By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggies Thoughts on Nintendo Going Third Party.

Barkley said:
Ljink96 said:
They aren't playing it safe, it works sometimes and it bombs other times. That's how companies grow and stay alive.

But other then the Wii & DS is there any other standouts where taking risks actually worked?

Every home console other then the Wii released by Nintendo has sold less then the previous...

3DS has been a moderate success. They take risks in their games also but you're probably talking about hardware so I'd say Wii/ DS/ and 3DS.

Around the Network

They've had a good run but its time to let the dream go. People dont want "new inventive controls" to play video games anymore. we want something more conventional and more powerful. and if Nintendo had their games on other consoles they would look better, play better, and sell better. Come on guys, we all know its time.

Barkley said:
Ljink96 said:
They aren't playing it safe, it works sometimes and it bombs other times. That's how companies grow and stay alive.

But other then the Wii & DS is there any other standouts where taking risks actually worked?

Every home console other then the Wii released by Nintendo has sold less then the previous...

Not really, we've only been one generation out since the Wii and DS, no way to tell just yet. Every home console has sold less than the previous and at least 1 instance can be said with all of the big 3 consoles, it's not just Nintendo. Nintendo simply has more history. 

PS1: 101M, PS2 155M, PS3 88M, PS4 53M(So far)

PSP 80M, PSV: 14M

XBOX: 24M, Xbox 360 88M, Xbox One 25M(so far...no way it's going to beat 360)

NES: 61M, SNES:49M, N64: 32M, GCN: 22M, Wii: 101M, Wii U: 13M

Game&Watch: 34M, GB: 118M, GBA:82M, DS:155M, 3DS 61M

So yes, most Nintendo consoles have sold less than the previous and that's due to competition. Just as some sony and microsoft consoles have sold less than the previous due to competition. It's just easier to highlight Nintendo because of their 30 year gaming history. The most important thing is that Nintendo makes hardware that is profitable and software to reoup the losses. That's what they should be focusing on. 

Each console also has their own perks. People love to say Wii sold that way because it was a gimmick and sold to a lot of demographics. Well, the PS1 it had a cd player in it. PS2 had a DVD player. I know a ton of people who bought a PS2 because it was the cheapest DVD player on the market. You also have to factor in additives like these. 

Barkley said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Internet was invented in 1969. So online has been around in some form for nearly 50 years. To answer your question. With the Famicon Modem.

Famicom also had a special unit which allowed you to take screenshots and video.

Wow I'm amazed. I had absolutely no idea this thing existed. It's really confusing how Nintendo could go from being SO far ahead of the times to suddenly seeming like a company that is having trouble keeping up with the modern world in that regards.

I think tha was part of the problem. Because non of those things when they tred become mainstream successes (ie vidoe image capture, online gaming).

They probably thought it would never take off and stppped trying to puh them each gen.

Sayig all that they should have realised in the gamecube era when xbox online took off that the should be focusing on improving the experince. THis has been frustrating. Taking to long to adopt after something has become mainstream.  

Gotta love nintendo fans hiding behind daddy PC in the comments. Just like Sony guys did last gen with valve games and mass effect. "Nintendo has games you can't get on other platforms, I can get everything on PC" Instead of acknowledging Nintendo has bad 3rd party.  Anyways, it would be cool to see them go 3rd party IMO since they're good devs and bad hardware manufacturers.  

Currently Playing: N/A

Anime and Studying is life RN

Around the Network

Was pretty interesting, I do agree the market is definitely shifting, but I feel that there will always be a place for dedicated console gamers

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Ljink96 said:
Reggie: "What's the best graphics card we can put in this thing" THANK YOU REGGIE.

That's all what these consoles are about and what they'll be about in the future. CPU and GPU. Like I said, anybody can engineer greater graphics and cpus it takes risks to do what Nintendo is doing. They aren't playing it safe, it works sometimes and it bombs other times. That's how companies grow and stay alive.

If Nintendo just made a PS4 Pro clone with a Nintendo skin I don't know how great that console would do. But Reggie giving that parental control BS in rebuttal to Matpat is was terrible. He didn't even address the question... I'll wait until E3 to judge Reggie's 3rd party support claims.

How would the console be not as great if it cloned PS4's 3rd party and appealed to more people?  Nintendo hasn't made a great console since the SNES due to lack of 3rd party.  They miss out on entire genres, have huge droughts and Nintendo fans damage control saying they're not interested in 3rd party as much or hide behind the PC saying the other consoles are too similar.  That's not really the point.  All Nintendo does is make secondary consoles and some people want them to try to make a primary console.  Making a regular home console would not bottleneck development of 1st party games in any way, and the only thing Nintendo is good at selling is 1st party games and amiibos as far as consoles go.  If anything they need higher production values and simple features to make gaming on a Nintendo console convenient like good online, a hard drive for digital games, an ethernet port, ect.  I don't see how you guys are happy with buying a $70 controller when you didn't ask for HD rumble saying its innovative.  Not having analog triggers is innovative?  Every Nintendo platform (Handheld or console) has declined in software and hardware sales besides the 7th gen variants.  Their best console is the SNES and it had great features, they don't need to bottleneck themselves, limit the appeal and "innovate" for no reason to make a good console.

Currently Playing: N/A

Anime and Studying is life RN

anyone who knows anything about where Nintendo makes a lot of its profits is aware that they woulds be hurting themselves gigantically by no longer selling accessories and losing creative control to some degree.

They have no incentive to go third party, it will not result in more revenue as they will no longer have accessories, console hardware (which they do in fact usually make something on), no virtual console, etc. Would have to share software revenue with console manuafacturer's

they are safer having their own hardware and have too much money in the bank to justify going first party. the whiners who don't want to buy a Nintendo system but want to play their games are the ones who suggest they go third party over and over again

Nintendo having their own system is crucial to their creative control

Barkley said:
rjason12 said:

Have you ever thought that maybe people think the same exact way about PlayStation or Xbox? Maybe I don't want to pay 400$ for something I don't want (or even if it's cheaper). I mean if you don't want to buy "inferior hardware" then go PC, because the other two are outdated almost as soon as they are released. People are acting like the Switch is super "inferior" when the hardware is like comparing apples to oranges. 

Yeah there's people that do, but judging by hardware sales it's no where near as many, regardless I was talking about my personal opinion.

I prefer console gaming for a variety of reasons, and for the price the power you recieve from ps4/xbo is cost effective. Switch isn't even close. As for apples and oranges... well hardware isn't that difficult to compare, the features you can't compare such as portability, hd rumble and the weird IR rock paper scissors tech I don't really care for.

Switch is underpowered hardware with many features I don't care for, I don't want it. But If the must-have games come I'll have to buy one, with a bitter taste in my mouth.

It is hard to compare when they are drastically different pieces of hardware, those two run on AMD, and Nintendo runs through Nvidia. I wasn't talking about specific features. And the point still stands, PS4 and xbone are drastically underpowered compared to gaming pcs. I don't have one myself, but my buddy's pc blows current consoles out of the water, and he didn't spend too much on it, he's also getting a Switch because for Nintendo games. That's the reason you always hear people having pcs and Nintendo, not pcs and xbone/PlayStation.

Edit 1

Plus as you pointed out. You would have to buy their system in order to get their games. They know at the very least (like the Wii U pointed out) that a core amount of people will buy their systems to play their games. Close to 14 million consoles sold almost solely on their first party offerings (which at some points had droughts).

mountaindewslave said:

anyone who knows anything about where Nintendo makes a lot of its profits is aware that they woulds be hurting themselves gigantically by no longer selling accessories and losing creative control to some degree.

They have no incentive to go third party, it will not result in more revenue as they will no longer have accessories, console hardware (which they do in fact usually make something on), no virtual console, etc. Would have to share software revenue with console manuafacturer's

they are safer having their own hardware and have too much money in the bank to justify going first party. the whiners who don't want to buy a Nintendo system but want to play their games are the ones who suggest they go third party over and over again

Nintendo having their own system is crucial to their creative control

Exactly! People don't seem to understand this. They also make more money as they don't have to give any one else a cut of the profits of their games since they are released specifically by them and to their console.