By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggies Thoughts on Nintendo Going Third Party.

SegataSanshiro said:
Barkley said:

You're absolutley right, I completely missed that. My bad

Eh??? World Wide Web didn't even launch till 1991, how could the NES be "online capable."

Internet was invented in 1969. So online has been around in some form for nearly 50 years. To answer your question. With the Famicon Modem.

Famicom also had a special unit which allowed you to take screenshots and video.

The Intellivision had iternet before the Famicom, too.

Around the Network
rjason12 said:
Anytime anyone says "Nintendo should go third party" No. I don't want to have two consoles that are almost exactly the same. That's boring. I enjoy the different things Nintendo tries to do with their systems/controllers. It breaks the monotony. I really don't see why people would want there to be less competition.

Pls no you are about to get same replies "they would make more money they would make this and that" but we will totally forget about the competition in industry and let Sony rule Console Industry because you know Sony never got arrogant (PS3) and almost destroyed everything.

Damn, Reggie went off when listing the industry standards Nintendo has set. People can't deny this. People like to compare Nintendo and Sega and say that Nintendo will "Dreamcast" themselves out of the market but Sega has nowhere near a track record as Nintendo. They'll survive. They've survived this long, they'll most likely outlive all of us on the forum. As long as people buy their hardware and they're making money off said hardware, they'll make hardware.

Ljink96 said:
They'll most likely outlive all of us on the forum.

We and Nintendo will all die together, when the bombs drop.

Ljink96 said:
As long as people buy their hardware and they're making money off said hardware, they'll make hardware.

Not if there's a more profitable area to prioritize there efforts. Nintendo staff aging out will be replaced by fresh blood, people who may be more willing to take a different direction.

Barkley said:
rjason12 said:
Anytime anyone says "Nintendo should go third party" No. I don't want to have two consoles that are almost exactly the same. That's boring. I enjoy the different things Nintendo tries to do with their systems/controllers. It breaks the monotony. I really don't see why people would want there to be less competition.

It's not that I want less competition, I just don't want to be forced to buy inferior hardware that I don't like to play games I do.

I basically have to pay $300 for something I don't want, to have the privilege of spending $60 on something I do.

Have you ever thought that maybe people think the same exact way about PlayStation or Xbox? Maybe I don't want to pay 400$ for something I don't want (or even if it's cheaper). I mean if you don't want to buy "inferior hardware" then go PC, because the other two are outdated almost as soon as they are released. People are acting like the Switch is super "inferior" when the hardware is like comparing apples to oranges. 

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Ljink96 said:
They'll most likely outlive all of us on the forum.

We and Nintendo will all die together, when the bombs drop.

Damn, forgot about that! Duck and cover! Hmm...maybe Nintendo can revive Duck hunt with Duck & Cover Switch!

Reggie: "What's the best graphics card we can put in this thing" THANK YOU REGGIE.

That's all what these consoles are about and what they'll be about in the future. CPU and GPU. Like I said, anybody can engineer greater graphics and cpus it takes risks to do what Nintendo is doing. They aren't playing it safe, it works sometimes and it bombs other times. That's how companies grow and stay alive.

If Nintendo just made a PS4 Pro clone with a Nintendo skin I don't know how great that console would do. But Reggie giving that parental control BS in rebuttal to Matpat is was terrible. He didn't even address the question... I'll wait until E3 to judge Reggie's 3rd party support claims.

rjason12 said:
Barkley said:

It's not that I want less competition, I just don't want to be forced to buy inferior hardware that I don't like to play games I do.

I basically have to pay $300 for something I don't want, to have the privilege of spending $60 on something I do.

Have you ever thought that maybe people think the same exact way about PlayStation or Xbox? Maybe I don't want to pay 400$ for something I don't want (or even if it's cheaper). I mean if you don't want to buy "inferior hardware" then go PC, because the other two are outdated almost as soon as they are released. People are acting like the Switch is super "inferior" when the hardware is like comparing apples to oranges. 

Yeah there's people that do, but judging by hardware sales it's no where near as many, regardless I was talking about my personal opinion.

I prefer console gaming for a variety of reasons, and for the price the power you recieve from ps4/xbo is cost effective. Switch isn't even close. As for apples and oranges... well hardware isn't that difficult to compare, the features you can't compare such as portability, hd rumble and the weird IR rock paper scissors tech I don't really care for.

Switch is underpowered hardware with many features I don't care for, I don't want it. But If the must-have games come I'll have to buy one, with a bitter taste in my mouth.

I mean the biggest reason is Nintendo would not be able to have the polish we are used to on their hardware. We also would have less new IP's. Something people complain about already. Splatoon and Arms would not exist as a 3rd party developer. If you have not noticed most major developers are already a 1-2 IP company these days. Capcom is no longer spitting out a new IP ever few minutes. They are mainly a 3 IP company now. SEGA same thing dropped from consoles and the company that once like Capcom spat out new IPs every few minutes is now down to only a few. Fire Emblem and Xenoblade series would be gone. Nintendo would do Mario and Zelda and a couple variants/spinoffs.

We need Nintendo making hardware for if only so they can continue to be making more than just a couple IPs. Before it became "fuck konami" Konami last gen was just MGS,CV and PES for the most part. That would be Nintendo's future as a only 3rd party company.

Ljink96 said:
They aren't playing it safe, it works sometimes and it bombs other times. That's how companies grow and stay alive.

But other then the Wii & DS is there any other standouts where taking risks actually worked?

Every home console other then the Wii released by Nintendo has sold less then the previous...

It just feels like ever since the Wii Nintendo have decided they need to "Innovate" and make some kind of change to input and how we play games. To the point that it seems forced. Watching the Switch reveal it just feels like they're trying to recapture the magic-in-a-bottle they hit with the Wii.