By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The next Donkey Kong Country game needs to be for everyone, not expert level players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8-rZvHzUGw <-- Go read the comments and come back and read this thread.

When I got DK Tropical Freeze for my birthday a years ago I thought I was in for an adventure. I thought this 2D game would suprass NSMBU but I was wrong. I WAS enjoying this game until I got to the World 4 Boss battle. Sure some levels were hard and were frustrating, but THIS level was unbeatable for me. I put down my controller, I destoyed the game itself and I never played a DK game ever, and not planning to. But I still want Nintendo to save DK. I know, I was such a hot head back then. If I first played this game right now, I'd simply sell it and never come back to DK.

Why did Tropical Freeze have a hard mode but no easy mode? Does Nintendo think all of us are expert players? Who designed this game? If I gave this game to my nephew, he's NOT going to enjoy this. Poor kid will probably cry his eyes out. If I gave my nephew a Kirby game then he'd enjoy it!. This is why Kirby is my favorite 2D series. I wouldn't mind Kirby to be a little harder but not to the point where its super hard where it frustrates its players, or where you have to practice for hours to get good, blah. Dying over and over is not a "exciting challenge!", its simply not fun and it hurts the game. 

It's going to be painful for me and the players who found this game too hard/frustrating . When the next DK sequel comes out, it'll feel like I'm missing out because Nintendo left out the casual gamers out with its difficult DK games. I just WISH the DK games were easier so I could buy ALL of them and enjoy them. But since their too hard, I'll always criticize the series, and who's fault is that? Nintendo.

Point of this thread: It's not too late to make the Donkey Kong games better. Make them easier so everyone can play and love DK. I want DK to survive. My theory is Tropical Freeze didn't sell that well compared to other Wii U games is because its difficult. People played DK Country returns and found it too hard.

Ways to avoid The Next DK game of getting criticism because of its outstanding difficulty 

1. Include EASY MODE instead of hard mode
  2. Give us an option to skip levels
  3. Give us an invinicbility mode (Star Fox Zero and NSMB had it) 
  4. Or just make the levels easier so everyone can play
  5. Remove the DK brother shop. I don't like buying more lives just so I can waste them. 
  6. Give DK more hearts instead of 2 or 4
  7. Reduce the number of hits on Boss's. (If that boss that made me break the game only took 3 hits to kill, I would've played more)
I don't want to hear any excuses Nintendo. When the next DK game comes out for Nintendo Switch, please let everyone enjoy the next DK sequel. and I hope for the best!  It's a win-win situation. Nintendo gets all my money and I enjoy the games. Simple.   

Around the Network

I wrote this thread because I want the Donkey Kong series to succeed. It's art style, gameplay, music is incredible. and it's difficutly, not so much. 

Yes. Game is trying to hard and it fails. Nsmbu was a lot better.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

They can include an easy mode as long as they don't make the game easier in normal mode.

Get Donkey Kong Country Returns on 3DS. It has an easy mode.

KLXVER said:

Ah, was gonna say I could have sworn there was an easy difficulty in one of them.

But there's no reason to not include an easy mode, so sure why not.

I don't think it's a massive issue though.

Around the Network

I had a feeling it was you.Well, as for the topic at hand, no.If the price to making it "acessible" to everyone is to dumb down the game and its difficulty, the game would simply not be good.So no, it should maintain the quality it brought with Tropical Freeze.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Barkley said:
KLXVER said:

Ah, was gonna say I could have sworn there was an easy difficulty in one of them.

But there's no reason to not include an easy mode, so sure why not.

I don't think it's a massive issue though.

I love the difficulty in the DKC games, but I can understand people having problems with it. Its not a very casual friendly series.

So basically you want to turn DKC into NSMB?

Being challenging is part of what DKC is, and part of why many love the series. Take that away and it wouldn't be the same for those many fans. Giving an easy mode is fine, but making level structure easier and giving more hearts would not make it DKC. It's fine if you don't enjoy it, but there are many who do, and making it permenantly easier would deter all those fans, NOT making it a win-win at all.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Adding an easy mode is fine, just as long as the main game isn't compromised. I like challenging platformers, and this is part of the reason I much prefer the DKC reboots over the New SMB games (haven't even picked up the last two).

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Wait Donkey Kong Country is hard?