By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider is like a bad last-gen game

Rather than attacking the OP maybe it's best we figure out how he came to the conclusion. I'm a little disappointed that my fellow VGChartz members ganging up on another member who voiced his opinion in a perfectly valid manner should there be a technical issue with his set up, which leads me to believe that his experience was hindered through other means and therefore his feelings were justified as such.

Hey OP, yes you Mr. bugrimmar! Care to answer these two questions for me?

1) What platform did you play on? If PC please list your build.

2) Did you use a TV or monitor? And what model did you use. Also list your display settings if you've made any modifications.

Also if you're playing on a Sony platform there is a chance that an issue in your console settings is not set properly which can cause major issues to the textures and lighting. Often making certain textures and character models look very nasty and blurry. I had this issue with both my PS3 and PS4 when I switched them over to a computer monitor. I might be able to help you out on this and the difference is wonderful! If you're playing on a PS3 or PS4 shoot me a message and I might be able to guide you through s quick fix that should fix your image quality.

As for your complaints on AI, yeah... that won't get fixed. Nor will the game design element of crafting weapons rather than picking up weapons. That's purely a game design choice, and one that could have been handled better. I would have had just gone with a "DESTROYOBJECT" function when the gun hits the floor xD Having the gun sit there with no purpose other than to look pretty and confuse gamers is a terrible design choice, and a waste of resource allocation. Other than that, a lot of people seem to enjoy this game and there must be some good reason for that. Most of the flaws you've mentioned are things that the good majority of average gamers barely notices or makes remarks on unless they have some form of game design experience. So I'm going to give you credit where it's due. As for the music and voice acting, I can't really comment on this as I haven't gotten to play the game yet to say anything. Though I will state that those things are very opinionated and unless the loop-track breaks and you get a deaf tone. No matter what you do with music or art style. There will ALWAYS be people who love it, and people who hate it. No matter how good, or how terrible it is. Those things are simply taste. Talent is recognized when it's truly deserved.

I don't know why, but this thread really intrigues me between your good observations, opinionated remarks, and the likelihood of technical issues that truly harmed your enjoyment and experience of this title. I'm also amazed at how triggered other members were by this. It's actually rather remarkable... really.

Around the Network
Airaku said:
Rather than attacking the OP maybe it's best we figure out how he came to the conclusion. I'm a little disappointed that my fellow VGChartz members ganging up on another member who voiced his opinion in a perfectly valid manner should there be a technical issue with his set up, which leads me to believe that his experience was hindered through other means and therefore his feelings were justified as such.

2) Did you use a TV or monitor? And what model did you use. Also list your display settings if you've made any modifications.

Also if you're playing on a Sony platform there is a chance that an issue in your console settings is not set properly which can cause major issues to the textures and lighting. Often making certain textures and character models look very nasty and blurry. I had this issue with both my PS3 and PS4 when I switched them over to a computer monitor. I might be able to help you out on this and the difference is wonderful! If you're playing on a PS3 or PS4 shoot me a message and I might be able to guide you through s quick fix that should fix your image quality.

As for your complaints on AI, yeah... that won't get fixed. Nor will the game design element of crafting weapons rather than picking up weapons. That's purely a game design choice, and one that could have been handled better. I would have had just gone with a "DESTROYOBJECT" function when the gun hits the floor xD Having the gun sit there with no purpose other than to look pretty and confuse gamers is a terrible design choice, and a waste of resource allocation. Other than that, a lot of people seem to enjoy this game and there must be some good reason for that. Most of the flaws you've mentioned are things that the good majority of average gamers barely notices or makes remarks on unless they have some form of game design experience. So I'm going to give you credit where it's due. As for the music and voice acting, I can't really comment on this as I haven't gotten to play the game yet to say anything. Though I will state that those things are very opinionated and unless the loop-track breaks and you get a deaf tone. No matter what you do with music or art style. There will ALWAYS be people who love it, and people who hate it. No matter how good, or how terrible it is. Those things are simply taste. Talent is recognized when it's truly deserved.

I don't know why, but this thread really intrigues me between your good observations, opinionated remarks, and the likelihood of technical issues that truly harmed your enjoyment and experience of this title. I'm also amazed at how triggered other members were by this. It's actually rather remarkable... really.

Bad last-gen game doesnt sound like a hyper exaggeration to you?

Airaku said:

Thank you, no, I played on ps4 with an LED TV. There are no technical issues. The game simply looks bland and old and not what I would expect from a current gen game.

I hardly ever comment badly about music and voice acting but in this game, it was just laughably bad. It is one of the main reasons I can't bring myself to finish the game. Particularly Lara's voice acting is horrible.

People are angry about my opinion coz they're tomb raider fans. I get it. It's easy to get upset when someone hates on their favorite franchise. But with all honesty, it's just a bad game for current gen standards.

Areym said:
bugrimmar said:
Playing on ps4. Screenshots don't tell the story. Maybe you just don't like my opinion but perhaps my standards are just higher than yours.

I mean, you must be talking GTA5/Super mario galaxy levels of high here or something, right?

No, I don't expect a perfect game every time I play. This one is just bad. I'd like to see someone defend the shoddy AI and the dummy game logic and compare it with other current gen games and then tell me that it's good. It's just bad...

RoTR looks bland and last gen? Wow ok...

I wonder what current gen games you consider current gen graphics wise. There must be a select few,,,

Around the Network

It's funny that all people can defend about the game is the graphics. Well yeah coz everything else is impossible to defend.

Welp, I think most of the comments here sum up anything I would say.

My only gripe was it released as an exclusive, everything else was amazeballs about it( i played PC version). Not to mention its bad release timing with 2015's Fallout. Exclusivity deal had hurt its sales and ended up as SE mistake. AAA games like these have serious budgets and need to sell through 4-5 million units for profit. Now that SE have realized the competition, they will not repeat it with Avengers Project.

LOL

m_csquare said:

Bad last-gen game doesnt sound like a hyper exaggeration to you?

Nope, I had a simulair occurance once and managed to actually fix it. Arkham Knight actually looked worse than it's previous entries which were last gen. Turns out there a confliction my PS4 settings that caused this to occur while I was hooked up to a monitor. After I corrected a few console settings the game looked fine.

bugrimmar said:

Thank you, no, I played on ps4 with an LED TV. There are no technical issues. The game simply looks bland and old and not what I would expect from a current gen game.

I hardly ever comment badly about music and voice acting but in this game, it was just laughably bad. It is one of the main reasons I can't bring myself to finish the game. Particularly Lara's voice acting is horrible.

People are angry about my opinion coz they're tomb raider fans. I get it. It's easy to get upset when someone hates on their favorite franchise. But with all honesty, it's just a bad game for current gen standards.

This statement is highly unlikely. You didn't mention the TV brand, and you make claims such as "Screen shots don't do justice". This means that the problem is on your end. I can assure you of this, rather it's your console settings or TV. That I can't tell.

What is your Video Output Settings listed at? Go to System Settings ----> Sound and Screen ----> Video Output. I'm mostly interested and what you have your RGB Range set to.

The game might not be as good looking as Uncharted 4, Resident Evil 7, or Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. But it's still impressive in many areas.