By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rise of the Tomb Raider is like a bad last-gen game

I want to like it. I really do.. but it just disappoints me so much. I don't understand how it got high scores.

-The graphics look like something on ps3. Low res textures, jaggies, bland colors, etc. like the game wasn't optimized. It's like they focused all their attention on Lara's hair and nothing else. The animations look so amateurish too.. like they weren't motion captured.

-The music is just horrible. I don't get any feeling of suspense or mystery with generic nonsense playing in the background that interferes with the even more horrible voice acting. It's like amateur night at the local theater.

-The AI is just stupid. Enemies would stand out of cover and wait for you to aim at their heads without making any effort to move.

-The level up and crafting system is exactly the same as the previous game (with maybe more recipes and materials) and gathering stuff feels like a chore. Everything is so generic and no effort was made to make it look interesting.

-The game's internal logic makes no sense. Lara needs to gather stuff to make weapons while the guys she kills have guns.. why can't she just pick them up? Oh no, I have to assemble gun parts when I just killed a guy with a machine gun.. and whats with the random tape recordings the bad guy just happens to leave everywhere to reveal his plot? Why would he do such a thing?

The only saving grace is possibly the story but so far it's just getting hard to keep playing the game.

Around the Network

Did you played the 360 version?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

delete this thread!

Lol.Sure man, sure.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

FunFan said:

You beat me to it. Maybe it looks like last gen because he played it on last gen.

Around the Network

Joke thread?

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I just logged in to say you're wrong... completely wrong.
Good night everyone!

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

CGI-Quality said:
bugrimmar said:

I want to like it. I really do.. but it just disappoints me so much. I don't understand how it got high scores.

-The graphics look like something on ps3. Low res textures, jaggies, bland colors, etc. like the game wasn't optimized. It's like they focused all their attention on Lara's hair and nothing else. The animations look so amateurish too.. like they weren't motion captured.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when it's one that can easily be challenged, that is where I step in:

Graphics.....

Bad?

No. Among other things, the graphics were an extremely high point for this title.

What about tbe xbox 360 version 😛

I thought the game was OK, but nothing was particularly great about it. I was happy to have played it, but it has left no lasting impression of greatness on me.

For the PS4 version I felt the visuals were middling compared to the best we've seen on PS4 thus far. But not last gen.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

FunFan said:

The 360 version actually looks pretty damn good all things considered.