By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So Trump has already started messing up big time relationships with Mexico

Tagged games:

JRPGfan said:
DonFerrari said:

So much for people saying it would be impossible to make Mexico pay for the wall.

I have a feeling Trump is going to wreck the american economy in the short term.

Maybe the choices he makes if drastic enough will prove okay for the US like 10-15 years down the road.

But by the time he leaves, the US economy will be worse than it is today.

The avg american will probably be poorer than it is today.

Yes, if he instead of deregulating and detaxing the market he just goes protectionist and regulating he will probably end up fucking americans even more than what they are now.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

DonFerrari said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Oh it's getting crazier:

Olivier KnoxVerified account
‏@OKnox
Via pool: White House's @PressSec says Trump is asking Congress to approve 20% tax on all imports from Mexico to pay for "the wall."

Matt ViserVerified account
‏@mviser
Sean Spicer tells reporters on Air Force One: The border wall will be paid for by imposing a 20 percent tax on all imports from Mexico.

So much for people saying it would be impossible to make Mexico pay for the wall.

Mexico won't pay for the wall with a tax like this, american citizens will pay it.

If you think companies won't make the consumers pay every extra dime of tax by just increasing the price of everything to cover it, you're kidding youself. They won't make an extra tax affect their own bottom line.  

20% tax would just increase the price of mexican imports. The consumers and buyers would be paying for the wall, not Mexico. To put into prespective, Texas alone imported around $84 billion from Mexico in the year 2015. With a 20% tax, Texas businesses and consumers would have paid an extra $16.8 billion for the same goods and services. Enough to pay the wall (supposedly) and thats a very possible final scenario. 

Mexico is the main  country when it comes to importing agricultural goods to the US, and considering how much the minimum wage is in Mexico and the variety of products that we receive, what we are paying to import those products (nearly nothing compared to other countries) replacing them as a business partner is going to improbable if not impossible. In 2015 US's imports from Mexico totaled $21 billion.  Leading categories include: fresh vegetables ($4.8 billion), other fresh fruit ($4.3 billion), wine and beer ($2.7 billion), snack foods ($1.7 billion), and processed fruit & vegetables ($1.4 billion). the majority of it produced at 73.00 pesos per hour (about $4.30). 

Earlier this week, a shipment of avocados from Jalisco, Mexico was stopped from coming to the US. Mexico turned around and sold the avocados to other countries at a 20% increase without a loss; meanwhile the prices of avocados in the US rose to 96.00 dlls a crate (the "normal" being 40.00 dlls a crate) Price increase, not enough product to meet the demand = consumers pay. The phrase "The guac will be extra" gets a new meaning. 

To tax Mexico would mean to leave NAFTA for either country and to leave NAFTA would mean Mexico can also tax US products or increase the price of their own to cover losses. Its a two way, street. Thats why bullying one of your 3 main business partners is never a smart move. 

Senator and sassy overlord Lindsey Graham had something to say (lol):

Brainslug said:

DonFerrari said:

Mexico won't pay for the wall with a tax like this, american citizens will pay it.

If you think companies won't make the consumers pay every extra dime of tax by just increasing the price of everything to cover it, you're kidding youself. They won't make an extra tax affect their own bottom line.  

I'm not kidding myself...

The price, any price, always ends up being paid by consumers (even if Mexico ended up "paying directly" it would impact in other trades to payback, as it'll in this)... taxes rising is always bad to everyone but the bureocrats that will pocket that money.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said:
Just wait until that import tax comes on video games and consoles.... I think thats gonna anger more VGC members than anything else he does.

Grey Keys will always be a thing, so PC consumers fine, but I feel bad for console exclusive or mulitiplat games, devs, publishers, ect.  

Currently Playing: N/A

Anime and Studying is life RN

Around the Network
Flilix said:
Zoombael said:
I must commend Mr. Donald Trump. He is a man of his word (so far). I respect that.

He is, but it would have been better if he weren't, since his ideas are stupid and unrealistic.

A wall between Mexico and the US will cost an awful lot of money, and it won't help much (since most illegal immigrants just take the plane).

A wall will help. People who go hunting watch illegals cross the border by simply walking across with nothing but a small barbed wire fence that any small child could get over. One of my friends tries to stay away from the aera cause he doesn't want to be robbed or shoot one by accident. They climb the walls we have no easily. 

Making it harder for them is a good thing. My family came here legally and every illegal that comes here without doing it the right way makes it that much harder for the rest of us who try and respect the laws. Me and my fiance have already had to pay over $5000 because of illegals hitting our car and not having insurance to pay for anything. This doesn't include the amount that our insurance has gone up because of that which would make the estimate closer to $10,000. The cops don't even arrest them or deport them or anything. I get stuck with the bill and everyone gets to go home. I saw one of the illegals who totaled my car on the highway 2 months later in another car. 

My car was just totaled by my insurance company and once again an illegal hit my car. This time his family had insurance on the car but he wasn't on the policy so they are refusing to pay. Maybe my insurance company will get the deductible back maybe not.

I understand how they feel my country is very third world as well and we have little kids begging for money on the streets too. Unfortunately we can't just force America to be the place where every illegal is allowed to come and we all have to take on the burden. At least if your a legal citizen without insurance I can file a lawsuit and take you to court and even lead to garnishing your wages. Good luck trying to do that to an illegal.

Jpcc86 said:

20% tax would just increase the price of mexican imports. The consumers and buyers would paying the wall, not Mexico. To put into prespective, Texas alone imported around $84 billion from Mexico in the year 2015. With a 20% tax, Texas businesses and consumers would have paid an extra $16.8 billion for the same goods and services. Enough to pay the wall (supposedly) and thats a very possible final scenario. 

Mexico is the main  country when it comes to importing agricultural goods to the US, and considering how much the minimum wage is in Mexico and the variety of products that we receive, what we are paying to import those products (nearly nothing compared to other countries) replacing them as a business partner is going to improbable if not impossible. In 2015 US's imports from Mexico totaled $21 billion.  Leading categories include: fresh vegetables ($4.8 billion), other fresh fruit ($4.3 billion), wine and beer ($2.7 billion), snack foods ($1.7 billion), and processed fruit & vegetables ($1.4 billion). the majority of it produced at 73.00 pesos per hour (about $4.30). 

Earlier this week, a shipment of avocados from Jalisco, Mexico was stopped from coming to the US. Mexico turned around and sold the avocados to other countries at a 20% increase without a loss; meanwhile the prices of avocados in the US rose to 96.00 dlls a crate (the "normal" being 40.00 dlls a crate) Price increase, not enough product to meet the demand = consumers pay. The phrase "The guac will be extra" gets a new meaning. 

To tax Mexico would mean to leave NAFTA for either country and to leave NAFTA would mean Mexico can also tax US products or increase the price of their own to cover losses. Its a two way, street. Thats why bullying one of your 3 main business partners is never a smart move. 

I haven't post here in a while, but this is one the best constructed posts I ever seen in years!!!

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Jpcc86 said:

20% tax would just increase the price of mexican imports. The consumers and buyers would paying the wall, not Mexico. To put into prespective, Texas alone imported around $84 billion from Mexico in the year 2015. With a 20% tax, Texas businesses and consumers would have paid an extra $16.8 billion for the same goods and services. Enough to pay the wall (supposedly) and thats a very possible final scenario. 

Exactly this. Mexico is not as stupid as Trump might suggests. In the end the US consumers will have to pay for the increased taxes. 

Every company does the same. All the extra costs raised by the goverment will be send directly to the consumer to pay. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Illegal immigrants cost us 113 billion dollars A YEAR. If a wall slows them down and it doesn't cost us as much in tax dollars, then it is worth it.

JRPGfan said:
DonFerrari said:

I have a feeling Trump is going to wreck the american economy in the short term.

Maybe the choices he makes if drastic enough will prove okay for the US like 10-15 years down the road.

But by the time he leaves, the US economy will be worse than it is today.

The avg american will probably be poorer than it is today.

Actually Trump economic policy can probably work in the short term and be quite bad for the long term growth.