By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NEVER Leave Your New Games Unopened for a Long Period of Time.

I'm sure all of us like opening a game for the first time to release it from its confined restraints also know as factory sealed shrink wrap.  And when you have a backlog, keeping a game in its shrink wrap until you're ready to play it make is feel just as new since you're opening it for the very first time as if it just came in from the mail.  Just make sure that game didn't come with a voucher for DLC.

I made the mistake of not opening my launch copy of LBP2 on the PS3 I ordered from Amazon.  The Amazon version had Ratchet & Clank costumes for Sackboy, but by the time I opened it, it was past the voucher's expiration date.  I tried redeeming the code, but still no go.  The same also happened when Gillette and Sony were doing a deal where you get free DLC for certain PS3 titles depending on the Gillette product you bought.  I bought a razor which gave me InFamous 2 DLC.  I kept the packaging until I was read to play the game, but by then, it was also past the redeemable code date.

Thankfully, this wasn't always the case.  The voucher for the orginal Alice that came with Alice: Madness Returns was still redeemable after its expiration date.  The same went for Dragon Quest Heroes when I finally bought my PS4 last Christmas.  I had the game already bought, but saw no need to open the game because I had nothing to play it on until recently.

So make sure you quickly redeem codes when it comes with a new game.  Otherwise, you might miss out on the goodies.

Around the Network

Why have them expire though? Its just data. Its not like its a coupon for goods.

Expiration dates for lines of code. What a slimy, anti-consumer practice.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Mystro-Sama said:
Why have them expire though? Its just data. Its not like its a coupon for goods.

I agree unless it's a server maintenance issue.  I believe once I had called a company (probably Sony) to see if I could still redeem a code past a date, but they couldn't anything about it.  On the other hand, I received a code for free stuff from Samsung for my VR headset on one of those scratch-to-reveal vouchers.  Well, the voucher was effed up in the process, scratching off a chunk of the code.  Thankfully after calling Samsung, they sent me another one.

Seems silly to have expiration on these.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:

Most likely the company doesn't want to be responsible for having to provide access to the data indefinetly. It could lead to lawsuits if someone does what TS did and the data is no longer avaliable and no expiration date is provided.

i'd say don't pre-order games you aren't going to play right way.

it has been 6 years dude. lbp2 is practially free now. what a waste of $60.

kitler53 said:

I never said I JUST opened it.  This was way before this gen started. 

IkePoR said:
Expiration dates for lines of code. What a slimy, anti-consumer practice.

everything has an expiration date.  even money in the form of gift cards expire (5 years).  you can't expect a company to keep track of a code for 20+ years because you're too lazy to use it on a reasonable time frame.

hell, this far past release tons of games don't even have online supported anymore.  

LivingMetal said:
kitler53 said:

I never said I JUST opened it.  This was way before this gen started. 

oh.  well the OP implies (to me) an event just happened to prompt this thread.   so how long did you wait?   

..anything greater than 6 months and my point still stands.  games devalue so fast there is no point in buying one that costs more than $5-$10 if you aren't going to play it right away.