By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Mario Kart Wii sell more than GT5P on first week?

It could happen.

Around the Network

It may beat GT5:P but only because it's a prologue and not the full game, plus Wii has a larger user base.

Lifetime MK will easily smoke GT5P but GT5P will have a much bigger percentage of it's sales in it's first week than MKWii so it wouldn't surprise it if GT5P opening week is bigger.

superchunk said:
Mario Kart may be bigger than Halo 3 in first week.

Its a perfect casual+hardcore game.

Casuals do not run out and buy a game day 1. M&S is a perfect example of how a popular casual game will sell. MK first week sales we be the core gamers running out and buying it. Like I said, I expect no more than 1 million WW for MK launch week(aligned of course)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Gamefront.de has posted that Famitsu gave the game a 10/9/9/9 or 37 which is pretty high. I suspect that will create a bit more buzz and propel it in Japan. I suspect MK:Wii will crush GT5P assuming the supply is there on day one...

I'll be picking it up for certain...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

it probably will, but will it sell more then GT5 ?? that is the question

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
jjseth said:
It COULD beat GT5P, but will it?

With all the other games coming out this month, it could get lost in the shuffle and move to the back burners of those who may have bought GTA4, or maybe even Prologue. But chances are, they won't buy it because they just bought SSBB and are still enjoying the hell out of that game and have to wait to buy a new game.

Now, if you were to compare it to the Full game of GT5 when that comes out next year? Well, GT5 will smash MKWii's numbers.

And Leo, there may be a reason why some reviewers are giving GT5P a lower score that doesn't really relate to the quality of the game. It's the fact that so many have this belief that it's nothing more then a paid Demo so they will knock it points because it's not a full fledged game. They should review it on what it is and everyone knows that it's not the complete GT5.

I assume you're talking about 1st week sales still.  I don't think it will "smash" MKWii's numbers if you are talking total sales.  First week quite likely though.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

I think that it will.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

No, cause europeans are incredibly boring. I hate myself

It won't beat gt5p's first week but longtime it'll eventually sell more. Userbase and all that.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

GT5 ain't got nothing on MKWii now. I just found out that you have to PAY/DOWNLOAD a patch to have car model "deformation" in GT5 which I find really stupid because it should already be included in the full package. Don't tell me these guys are having the same problem as Konami for not having enough space on the disc for stuff.

This game is coming out at the end of this year. That's AMPLE enough time for them to fix this because there should be no excuse for this. MKWii is completed from the get go. No need for patches or the like. That's a plus right there.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY