By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are Millenials the worst and most unproductive gen?

Turkish said:

You look back at past gens, and they produced so many giants, last year many died and world took notice. Alive or dead, past generations have produced more greats in movies, music, sports, politics etc than this gen ever will:

Muhammad Ali, Maradonna, George Michael, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Jean Claud Van Damme, Arnold Scharzenegger, Michael Hutchence, Michael Jackson, Prince, Queen, Freddie Mercury, Bono, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Deep Purple, David Bowie, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Tupac, Biggie, NWA

Compare those with the new stars: Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, mumble rappers...?

Some millenials are nearing almost 40, this gen hasn't produced much to replace the fading or the stars that are gone already.

Among the common folk, all I see from millenials is false nostalgia for an era they never lived in. 80s and 90s nostalgia is the hype now with companies and people trying to capture the old magic. Some do it succesfully while others fail miserably. This current longing for the past is far greater than people in the 80s and 90s looked back at the 50s or 60s.

Point is, this is the most unremarkable generation, the one after millenials is going to be even worse. You look back at past decades and they all stand out, not with the 00s or 10s. I dunno what will stand out of the past decade in 20-30 years. Both sports, music, movies, gaming have regressed.

Ummm....Bieber and the current mumble rappers aren't millenials. Millenials weren't born in the mid to late 90s (or after). And, FYI, Lady Gaga is extremely talented. She just chooses to go off the deep end because she understands what sells. 

Case in point of her talent:

The basis of your post in completely baseless.

Around the Network

Every generation has its flaws. I remember in the breakfast club when the principle was scared for the upcoming generation, and how they would run the country. Granted I think the boomers have done meh at best, it wasn't the end of the world.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

I admit is hard to define "generations" in a culture. After all someone born at one end of a generation has little in common with someone born at the other end. Also, the exact years varies depending on your source. I've found millennials starting anywhere from 1975 to 1985 and ending from 1995 to 2005.

Examples:

18 year block model
Silent: 1928-1946
Boomers: 1947-1965
Gen X: 1966-1984
Millennials: 1985-2003

20 year block model
Silent: 1921-1940
Boomers: 1941-1960
Gen X: 1961-1980
Millennials: 1981-2000

zorg1000 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Different sport, boxers have generally had their asses kicked in MMA.

You don't get far just knowing how to punch.

and MMA fighters have generally gotten their asses kicked in boxing.

MMA fighters are often well rounded. Boxers are good at boxing.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

spurgeonryan said:
Nice question to ask on a videogames site filled with Millennials

Who are only going to get upset that we are talking about them.

The answer is yes. I cannot keep any of them hired. No matter how I twist the paperwork they end up being let go or quitting. Same with everywhere else they go. I know because they give me a whole long story on how the boss was a jerk where they came from or they have a resume with five or more jobs in a short amount of time. I do not even hire people anymore with too many employers or if they live too far away, etc, etc ,etc.

So get mad all that you want, but you are very difficult to deal with American Millennials. Maybe other generations just do not get you. But still, you need to meet half way and "get" other generations.

Acording to your profile you're 33, aren't you a millenial? (serious question, I'm not sure what age range is considered "millenial")

Around the Network

Millenials are better in some ways (social progression) and worse in other ways (weak). All generations have their pluses and minuses etc.

DonFerrari said:
Entropio said:

Lol  so you're comparing several generations with only one, and basing your "analysis" in some famous people that you like... Some of the best sportmen and women are millenials (Phelps? Messi? Cristiano?) Citing Van Damme and Schwarzenegger as great actors is totally laughable...

You also don't consider the life and tech improvement we've achieved in the last decades. Finally,  you criticize millenials for false nostalgia when all your post is nothing more than a rose-tinted nostalgia look to the past... 

Sorry, but even if you consider Schwanegger, Van Damme and Stallone good actors there hasn't been very good substitutes for them in the newer actors... the type of movies they did aren't there anymore, so much that they had to do Mercenaries to have that type again

And is that a sign of the unproductiveness of generation or a sign of tastes changing? (imo in any case it would be an improvement, but OK) It's still a terrible example.

Eagle367 said:
Turkish said:

You look back at past gens, and they produced so many giants, last year many died and world took notice. Alive or dead, past generations have produced more greats in movies, music, sports, politics etc than this gen ever will:

Muhammad Ali, Maradonna, George Michael, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Jean Claud Van Damme, Arnold Scharzenegger, Michael Hutchence, Michael Jackson, Prince, Queen, Freddie Mercury, Bono, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Deep Purple, David Bowie, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Tupac, Biggie, NWA

Compare those with the new stars: Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, mumble rappers...?

Some millenials are nearing almost 40, this gen hasn't produced much to replace the fading or the stars that are gone already.

Among the common folk, all I see from millenials is false nostalgia for an era they never lived in. 80s and 90s nostalgia is the hype now with companies and people trying to capture the old magic. Some do it succesfully while others fail miserably. This current longing for the past is far greater than people in the 80s and 90s looked back at the 50s or 60s.

Point is, this is the most unremarkable generation, the one after millenials is going to be even worse. You look back at past decades and they all stand out, not with the 00s or 10s. I dunno what will stand out of the past decade in 20-30 years. Both sports, music, movies, gaming have regressed.

Correction. Sports has been so much epic. You got messi and Ronaldo in football you got djokovic, Murray, nadal, nishikori, wawrinka and federer in tennis you have sachin tendulkar, MISBAH Ul HAQ, younas khan, virat kohli, Mcculum and A B deviliers in cricket. You have to be out if your mind to think sports has regressed

Not with US sports. The 80's and 90's had Michael fuckin' Jordan for starters. In basketball, we had Magic Johnon, Larry Bird and many other stars that were on the original Dream Team. Mike Tyson in boxing. Graf, Agassi and Sampras in tennis. In the NFL, there was Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Elway, Lawrence Taylor, The 85 Bears, 89 49's.. it was stacked. In the NHL there was Wayne Gretzky. This means that in the 80's and 90's, we got to witness the greatest NBA and NHL players of all time (Jordan and Gretzky). 

As far as US sports... it's a damn wash. Only the MLB is better now than it was in the 80's an 90's... or at least could be argued for.

Mr Puggsly said:
zorg1000 said:

MMA fighers are good at both but boxers are great at one.

Mr Puggsly said:
zorg1000 said:

thats besides the point.

your argument is that an mma fighter is better at mma than a boxer which is pretty damn obvious.

hockey players kick basketball players asses at hockey.

soccer players kick baseball players asses at soccer.

yout argument really wasnt an argument, it was just a random fact.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.