By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are Millenials the worst and most unproductive gen?

It can't be all that bad. I disagree with you regarding movies, I think it's an exciting time to be in. I think movies have matured a lot. And don't start me on television. It's never been that good!

Around the Network

But we've got future funk, how could you complain about music?

and your argument for regression based on entertainment is pretty silly. Especially when sports have never been better.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Turkish said:

You look back at past gens, and they produced so many giants, last year many died and world took notice. Alive or dead, past generations have produced more greats in movies, music, sports, politics etc than this gen ever will:

Muhammad Ali, Maradonna, George Michael, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Jean Claud Van Damme, Arnold Scharzenegger, Michael Hutchence, Michael Jackson, Prince, Queen, Freddie Mercury, Bono, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Deep Purple, David Bowie, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Tupac, Biggie, NWA

Compare those with the new stars: Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, mumble rappers...?

Some millenials are nearing almost 40, this gen hasn't produced much to replace the fading or the stars that are gone already.

Among the common folk, all I see from millenials is false nostalgia for an era they never lived in. 80s and 90s nostalgia is the hype now with companies and people trying to capture the old magic. Some do it succesfully while others fail miserably. This current longing for the past is far greater than people in the 80s and 90s looked back at the 50s or 60s.

Point is, this is the most unremarkable generation, the one after millenials is going to be even worse. You look back at past decades and they all stand out, not with the 00s or 10s. I dunno what will stand out of the past decade in 20-30 years. Both sports, music, movies, gaming have regressed.

Lol  so you're comparing several generations with only one, and basing your "analysis" in some famous people that you like... Some of the best sportmen and women are millenials (Phelps? Messi? Cristiano?) Citing Van Damme and Schwarzenegger as great actors is totally laughable...

You also don't consider the life and tech improvement we've achieved in the last decades. Finally,  you criticize millenials for false nostalgia when all your post is nothing more than a rose-tinted nostalgia look to the past... 

spurgeonryan said:

Nice question to ask on a videogames site filled with Millennials

Who are only going to get upset that we are talking about them.

The answer is yes. I cannot keep any of them hired. No matter how I twist the paperwork they end up being let go or quitting. Same with everywhere else they go. I know because they give me a whole long story on how the boss was a jerk where they came from or they have a resume with five or more jobs in a short amount of time. I do not even hire people anymore with too many employers or if they live too far away, etc, etc ,etc.

So get mad all that you want, but you are very difficult to deal with American Millennials. Maybe other generations just do not get you. But still, you need to meet half way and "get" other generations.

A lot of people here don't seem to know what a millenial is.

A millenial is someone who reached adulthood by the turn of the 21st century.

Which means that, yes, you are a millenial.

Music I'm certainly for the 80's (born 1985), movies I preffer the 90's but still get interested in movies and series of today (the music not at all).

But on workplace, yes, millenials are quite inneficient

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Turkish said:

Boxing>MMA

Another reason this gen is so bad.

Different sport, boxers have generally had their asses kicked in MMA.

You don't get far just knowing how to punch.

I think he is saying that the boxe fights of th 90's and prior were better than MMA, not that a Boxer wins a figth against MMA

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Entropio said:
Turkish said:

You look back at past gens, and they produced so many giants, last year many died and world took notice. Alive or dead, past generations have produced more greats in movies, music, sports, politics etc than this gen ever will:

Muhammad Ali, Maradonna, George Michael, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Jean Claud Van Damme, Arnold Scharzenegger, Michael Hutchence, Michael Jackson, Prince, Queen, Freddie Mercury, Bono, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Deep Purple, David Bowie, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Tupac, Biggie, NWA

Some millenials are nearing almost 40, this gen hasn't produced much to replace the fading or the stars that are gone already.

Among the common folk, all I see from millenials is false nostalgia for an era they never lived in. 80s and 90s nostalgia is the hype now with companies and people trying to capture the old magic. Some do it succesfully while others fail miserably. This current longing for the past is far greater than people in the 80s and 90s looked back at the 50s or 60s.

Point is, this is the most unremarkable generation, the one after millenials is going to be even worse. You look back at past decades and they all stand out, not with the 00s or 10s. I dunno what will stand out of the past decade in 20-30 years. Both sports, music, movies, gaming have regressed.

Lol  so you're comparing several generations with only one, and basing your "analysis" in some famous people that you like... Some of the best sportmen and women are millenials (Phelps? Messi? Cristiano?) Citing Van Damme and Schwarzenegger as great actors is totally laughable...

You also don't consider the life and tech improvement we've achieved in the last decades. Finally,  you criticize millenials for false nostalgia when all your post is nothing more than a rose-tinted nostalgia look to the past... 

Sorry, but even if you consider Schwanegger, Van Damme and Stallone good actors there hasn't been very good substitutes for them in the newer actors... the type of movies they did aren't there anymore, so much that they had to do Mercenaries to have that type again

How can you call this generation of music bad when Radiohead's In Rainbows is only 10 years old and Queens of the Stone Age's Like Clockwork is only 3

Who cares about some stupid celebrities when we have evolved drastically in terms of scientific and moral achievements?

I'd only understand your article if you pointed out historic figures/events like The Golden Age, rosa parks, gandhi, George Washington, etc.

Turkish said:

1. Some millenials are nearing almost 40, this gen hasn't produced much to replace the fading or the stars that are gone already.

2. Among the common folk, all I see from millenials is false nostalgia for an era they never lived in. 80s and 90s nostalgia is the hype now with companies and people trying to capture the old magic. Some do it succesfully while others fail miserably. This current longing for the past is far greater than people in the 80s and 90s looked back at the 50s or 60s.

3. Point is, this is the most unremarkable generation, the one after millenials is going to be even worse. You look back at past decades and they all stand out, not with the 00s or 10s. I dunno what will stand out of the past decade in 20-30 years. Both sports, music, movies, gaming have regressed.

You've made an interesting point for thought. I was a teenager in the late 70's early 80's, so I guess that puts me at the early end of Gen X. So here's my perspective to the points bolded for what it's worth (not in chronological order):

2. In terms of music at least, the 80's and 90's were really just a continuation of a revolution that began in the 50's and 60's. I can't speak for the generation before me, but from the perspective of people my age, the late 70's and 80's were far too interesting for us to give a shit about what our parents were being nostalgic about back in the 50's and 60's. When I see rockumentaries now, I watch the ones about the 70's and 80's with a nostalgic feel, but the ones about the 50's and 60's happened before I was born. To me, it's just historical.

3. In the 1990's, particularly the late 90's I felt the same way as you do now about the 00's and 10's. At the time I felt that decade didn't have its own identity, fashions, etc. But looking back now, yes, the 90's have their own flavour, their own style. Give it 20 years and you may see the 00's and 10's in a similar way.

1. I think that one major underlying reason as to why the millenial generation don't appear to have produced such huge icons as in generations past (and I emphasise appear to, here) is because of the vastly different and varied ways the world is presented to us, compared with 30 years ago. In the 80's and 90's we had TV, movies, radio and newspapers/magazines. That was it. Compared with what we have now, that's a very narrow tube through which we were fed news, entertainment, music etc. Today, with the internet, social media, YouTube etc. everything is much more accessible, but at the same time much more diluted. There's far more choice, and as a result I think it's more difficult for icons to emerge. 

So I think that the millenials are no less remarkable than the generation that produced the David Bowies, George Michaels and Princes, it's just more difficult for them to make themselves heard. And as you remarked, the millenials are still a few years off turning 40 - which to someone like me, is no great age at all.

Just an alternative perspective.