By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen starts on March 3

???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542

Considering the only gen that matters to me is Nintendo's, yes it is a new gen in the sense that it is far superior to the 3ds and decently superior to the wii u in power. As far as I'm concerned the hd twins don't exist, I have a pc that destroys them for the games I can't play on Nintendo.

Around the Network
Green098 said:

Well in factual terms, console generations are not opinions you can pick and choose where they stand. The Switch is a successor to the Wii U and 3DS which were 8th gen Home and Handheld consoles so therefore in a factual context the Switch is 9th gen.

Yes and while that may be true, no one will actually view it as a 9th gen console due to its lack of power, games and price. 

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

DonFerrari said:
A_C_E said:

Sorry for budding in...

Nintendo isn't driven by how powerful their consoles are and haven't been for the past couple console cycles, why would this all of a sudden change? Why now do their consoles have to be a certain power in order to be labeled as a next gen console? Nintendo is a creative company in that their philosophy is they find new ways to make gaming better, not just more powerful. Nintendo thinks that the Switch is the right step toward producing a brand new system with new ways of playing games. If this isn't the definition of a new generation and people are just getting stuck with the idea that power is the deciding factor then we have a divide of opinions which we can't do anything about.

No problem on you butting in. But Nintendo being "creative" and not adhering to technological advancement and if they decide to release a console every 2 years won't make gen count move with them.

What they are releasing is totally possible of being done on gen 8 so they making this system haven't unleashed a new gen.

Except that's not true. The PS4 isn't a portable machine, doesn't have a packed-in motion controller, doesn't have HD rumble, doesn't have detachable controllers, doesn't have splitscreen multiplayer on the go, doesn't use cartridges, etc.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
DonFerrari said:

No problem on you butting in. But Nintendo being "creative" and not adhering to technological advancement and if they decide to release a console every 2 years won't make gen count move with them.

What they are releasing is totally possible of being done on gen 8 so they making this system haven't unleashed a new gen.

Except that's not true. The PS4 isn't a portable machine, doesn't have a packed-in motion controller, doesn't have HD rumble, doesn't have detachable controllers, doesn't have splitscreen multiplayer on the go, doesn't use cartridges, etc.

And using a cartridge or detaching controller, rumble or motion control are going to make games that weren't possible before? Or the splitscreen. All of that already exist and you can play today, even if you decide that they together doesn't exist, there isn't necessarily any game that would come only because of it. And that was what you were trying to push before to decide a new gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It's self proclaimed 9th gen consoles, that trying to compete with 8th gen consoles with the spec of 7th gen consoles and the inovation from 6th gen consoles. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Alkibiádēs said:

And using a cartridge or detaching controller, rumble or motion control are going to make games that weren't possible before? Or the splitscreen. All of that already exist and you can play today, even if you decide that they together doesn't exist, there isn't necessarily any game that would come only because of it. And that was what you were trying to push before to decide a new gen.

And what game that's on the PS4 wouldn't be possible on the PS3, but with less fancy graphics? Please do tell me. 

Detachable controllers can lead to infinite possibilities. Nintendo can release GC-themed joycons for example which would make it possible to perfectly replicate the control scheme of GC games on the Switch. This can be done for any retro console or game. 

And games like Arms and 1-2 Switch are literally not possible on PS4 hardware. Splitscreen on the go doesn't already exist. In fact, splitscreen on your TV is also dying out on the PS4/X1.

And what handheld offers home console experiences on the go exactly? Switch games even get a boost in resolution when you plug it into the dock. 

HollyGamer said:

It's self proclaimed 9th gen consoles, that trying to compete with 8th gen consoles with the spec of 7th gen consoles and the inovation from 6th gen consoles. 

Windows 95/98, (n): 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprossessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Windows

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Green098 said:

Well in factual terms, console generations are not opinions you can pick and choose where they stand. The Switch is a successor to the Wii U and 3DS which were 8th gen Home and Handheld consoles so therefore in a factual context the Switch is 9th gen.

Then that means   a sad day for a gamer.  A generation above PS4 but with the graphic below PS4. 

HollyGamer said:
Green098 said:

Then that means   a sad day for a gamer.  A generation above PS4 but with the graphic below PS4. 

Much better graphics than the PSVita though. ;) 

I actually kind of want the switch. The gamecube reminded me just how much fun Nintendo games aim for. I should buy some games for the Wii U.