By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo 1st party actually reminds me of Microsoft 1st party or vise versa

Snoopy said:
Slade6alpha said:

To an extent I agree with that you're saying. Where MS and Nintendo both strive for gameplay over interactive story telling. Which is why I prefer both Nintendo and MS' first party to Sony's (as of now). Would love it if Sony went back into their platform repitore. 

I liked it when Sony made Medieval, Crash, Twisted Metal,Ect. However, now it seems more and more their games are going to the story route and cinematic experiences. Even GOW looks like cinematic experience now which frustrates me.

Uncharted 4 has more "gameplay" than something like gears..... at the very least uncharted has platforming and puzzles.

But that aside while I agree that sony has a lot of "cinematic" games, I don't understand how gams like Infamous, driveclub, bloodborne, killzone, horizon, uncharted, GTS, wipeout, days gone, GoW....etc all fall under that category, 

I feel that if you want to see it, you can just as easily list out a large number of gameplay focused games from sony; because sony also ensures that those games are packaged with great cinematography/story and that sony also has titles that are story heavy isn't a bad thing.

Itslike take the new zelda for instance, Its gonan probably have a more fleshed out story than any zelda game before it. Does that now make it a story heavy cinematic game?

Anyways, to each their own.... I just don't feel the claim you are making is valid. 

oh, try playing the last of us on hard without aids.... come back and tell me if you think a game like is story focused.



Around the Network

Seems like an awkward comparison.

If you aligned Xbox games with PS games there is probably more PS games that aren't cinematic than ones that are.

Gears and Halo are story based games (as far as single player goes). So those much be cinematic right?



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
pokoko said:
Goatseye said:

Did the OP say there are few exceptions? Wait for it... yes he did.

When you make very few games there are no "few exceptions".  

Few? LOL. Gears, ReCore, Quantum Break, FH3, all first party.



pokoko said:
Did I just stumble into an alternate reality where Quantum Break doesn't exist?

Yeah and apparently you also stumbled into an alternate reality where Bloodborne,Ratchet and Clank,Little Big Planet,The Last Guardian,Dragon Quest Heroes, Ni no Kuni and many more don't exist



Intrinsic said:
Snoopy said:

I liked it when Sony made Medieval, Crash, Twisted Metal,Ect. However, now it seems more and more their games are going to the story route and cinematic experiences. Even GOW looks like cinematic experience now which frustrates me.

Uncharted 4 has more "gameplay" than something like gears..... at the very least uncharted has platforming and puzzles.

But that aside while I agree that sony has a lot of "cinematic" games, I don't understand how gams like Infamous, driveclub, bloodborne, killzone, horizon, uncharted, GTS, wipeout, days gone, GoW....etc all fall under that category, 

I feel that if you want to see it, you can just as easily list out a large number of gameplay focused games from sony; because sony also ensures that those games are packaged with great cinematography/story and that sony also has titles that are story heavy isn't a bad thing.

Itslike take the new zelda for instance, Its gonan probably have a more fleshed out story than any zelda game before it. Does that now make it a story heavy cinematic game?

Anyways, to each their own.... I just don't feel the claim you are making is valid. 

A lot of uncharted 4 scenes are scripted heavly. I felt a lot of the platforming and climbing segments you couldn't fail unless you purposly try. There is a video that I will try to find where basically the person compared it to a walking simulator, minus the walking. Also, I forgot to mention, but I'm talking out this generation specifically. I assume the wii u is like this. Got a wii u for free, but didn't touch it much. I stated before on the forums I liked the ps3 a lot because there was quite a few games that aimed at gameplay first mentality. Not too much this generation and the ones that do exsist aren't very good in my opinion (Bloodborne was awesome however).



Around the Network

I see it more like:

Nintendo: Video games are a fun toy for the whole family.
Microsoft: Video games are a cool toy for young adults.
Sony: Video games are an art form for a variety of tastes.



I wouldn't really phrase it like that, but we've long since reached a point where, when I see a lot of Sony's first party games revealed at E3 or somewhere, I feel like I've already seen it before. Uncharted looks like Last of Us looks Infamous looks like the new God of War in the long, drawn out, masturbatorily cinematic sections they tend to like to show at those things.

I'm not sure that would really hold up if you compared the entire first party line ups, but it's definitely something that occurred to me.



Goatseye said:
pokoko said:

When you make very few games there are no "few exceptions".  

Few? LOL. Gears, ReCore, Quantum Break, FH3, all first party.

MS only has Halo, Forza, and Gears. 




Undisputed Gamer BAY BAY 

Slade6alpha said:
Goatseye said:

Few? LOL. Gears, ReCore, Quantum Break, FH3, all first party.

MS only has Halo, Forza, and Gears. 

Don't forget Scalebound.. oh wait.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Intrinsic said:

Uncharted 4 has more "gameplay" than something like gears..... at the very least uncharted has platforming and puzzles.

Off the top of my head it seems like Uncharted has had very little real platforming. Holding the stick toward the next ledge and pushing a button to move to it is really just a more complicated version of walking.