By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo 1st party actually reminds me of Microsoft 1st party or vise versa

Intrinsic said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Sony is making just as many sequels as the others with games like God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Knack, Gravity Rush, Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank,  etc.

Most of their heavy hitters are exclusives to well-established franchises. 

Anyway, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is very different compared to Skyward Sword, just like Super Mario Odyssey is very different compared to Super Mario 3D World. The only upcoming game that resembles its predecessor a lot seems to be Splatoon 2. Then there's new franchises like 1-2 Switch, Arms and Ever Oasis. 

Lets just ignore the so far 8+ new full retail IPs sony has made this gen alone already released or upcoming. And since you like lists so much Bloodborne, The last gaurdian, the order, days gone, detroit, Driveclub, Dreams, Horizon, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush, Wild.......

And thats not mentioning all the digital only sony first party games and continuing franchises.

Lol, if The Last Guardian can be considered a new franchise than so can Xenoblade Chronicles X. Until Dawn was made by Supermassive Games, Wild is made by Wild Sheep Studio, Bloodborne by From Software and Detroit by Quantic Dream (and it's more of the same really). Driveclub was just another racing game, they already have that genre covered with Gran Turismo. That's probably why they decided to close down Evolution Studios. The Order 1886 was made by Ready at Dawn and that game is considered a critical and commercial failure. Since then, Ready at Dawn no longer makes games exclusively for PS4. They seem to be stuck making virtual reality titles with a much more modest budget. 

As for Days Gone and Dreams, they are quite forgettable. Days Gone looks too similar to The Last of Us and I forgot Dreams was still in development. Haven't heard anything about that game since it got announced in 2015. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Intrinsic said:

Lets just ignore the so far 8+ new full retail IPs sony has made this gen alone already released or upcoming. And since you like lists so much Bloodborne, The last gaurdian, the order, days gone, detroit, Driveclub, Dreams, Horizon, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush, Wild.......

And thats not mentioning all the digital only sony first party games and continuing franchises.

Lol, if The Last Guardian can be considered a new franchise than so can Xenoblade Chronicles X. Until Dawn was made by Supermassive Games, Wild is made by Wild Sheep Studio, Bloodborne by From Software and Detroit by Quantic Dream (and it's more of the same really). Driveclub was just another racing game, they already have that genre covered with Gran Turismo. That's probably why they decided to close down Evolution Studios. The Order 1886 was made by Ready at Dawn and that game is considered a critical and commercial failure. Since then, Ready at Dawn no longer makes games exclusively for PS4. They seem to be stuck making virtual reality titles with a much more modest budget. 

As for Days Gone and Dreams, they are quite forgettable. Days Gone looks too similar to The Last of Us and I forgot Dreams was still in development. Haven't heard anything about that game since it got announced in 2015. 

So basically, you never have anything positive to say about anything that comes out of Sony. We didn't know that already.

Hynad said:
pokoko said:

No it isn't.  Not at all, actually.  One of the two examples given by the OP is State of Decay, a game developed by a third party developer.  That means the subject is "first party games" and not "first party studios".

From the way he worded his OP, it is obvious he mistook the game as being made by Microsoft. When you consider how he talks about "Nintendo games". And what you describe would fall under second party game, not first party.

But if I'm wrong on that, that still doesn't make sense of the Nioh situation I pointed out. ^__-

Ali_16x said:
Hynad said:

No. You consider them as being first party games. Nioh is published by Koei Tecmo in Japan. So is it a third party game in Japan, but a Sony first party game outside of Japan? How do you make sense of that? xD

Obivously this is pointless and you come here telling me to "keep up" when I've been in this thread for a while and you've just joined, lool.

Minecraft is published by Sony for their platforms... Does that make Minecraft a Sony first party game? =P

Hynad said:
Alkibiádēs said:

So basically, you never have anything positive to say about anything that comes out of Sony. We didn't know that already.

All I said are facts that Sony didn't develop any of these games. My first post was clearly talking about games made by Sony, not just published. Otherwise Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch can be considered Nintendo franchises since they publish it outside of Japan. 

Most of Sony's studios are busy developing sequels to already established franchises, just like MS or Nintendo. That's not being negative or positive, but making a neutral observation. The way some Sony fans talk about Nintendo and MS only releasing the same games over and over again you'd think Sony makes nothing but new IPs all the time.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Hynad said:
pokoko said:

No it isn't.  Not at all, actually.  One of the two examples given by the OP is State of Decay, a game developed by a third party developer.  That means the subject is "first party games" and not "first party studios".

From the way he worded his OP, it is obvious he mistook the game as being made by Microsoft. When you consider how he talks about "Nintendo games". And what you describe would fall under second party game, not first party.

But if I'm wrong on that, that still doesn't make sense of the Nioh situation I pointed out. ^__-

It could be either one, depending on what he intended.  He never specified that he meant first party studios and his example indicated published.  If he didn't then he made a mistake but I'm not going to assume that.  "First party games" are those where the platform holder also has publishing rights.

As for Nioh, it would be a first party game in regions where Sony has publishing rights, a third party game where they do not.  It's not something I care enough to argue over, though.  If someone want to include it, fine, if they don't, that's also fine.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Hynad said:

It could be either one, depending on what he intended.  He never specified that he meant first party studios and his example indicated published.  If he didn't then he made a mistake but I'm not going to assume that.  "First party games" are those where the platform holder also has publishing rights.

As for Nioh, it would be a first party game in regions where Sony has publishing rights, a third party game where they do not.  It's not something I care enough to argue over, though.  If someone want to include it, fine, if they don't, that's also fine.

But that doesn't make any sense. If we were to consider games as being first party because they are published by the console maker, then what do you make of Minecraft, which is published by Sony on their platforms? 

Alkibiádēs said:
Hynad said:

All I said are facts that Sony didn't develop any of these games. My first post was clearly talking about games made by Sony, not just published. Otherwise Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch can be considered Nintendo franchises since they publish it outside of Japan. 

Most of Sony's studios are busy developing sequels to already established franchises, just like MS or Nintendo. That's not being negative or positive, but making a neutral observation. The way some Sony fans talk about Nintendo and MS only releasing the same games over and over again you'd think Sony makes nothing but new IPs all the time.

No, you dismiss plenty of Sony games because you think they're either similar to other games, critical or sales disappointment, or "just an other such" games. Despite not having played any of them. You should do the same with Nintendo and say most of their games are "just an other mascot/cartoon themed game". But you don't. You give them a free pass all the time, and dismiss anything from Sony because reasons.

Hynad said:
pokoko said:

But that doesn't make any sense. If we were to consider games as being first party because they are published by the console maker, then what do make of Minecraft, which is published by Sony on their platforms? 

What about it?  I'm not seeing your problem.  Not unless you're looking at an industry term from a completely consumer perspective.

pokoko said:
Hynad said:

But that doesn't make any sense. If we were to consider games as being first party because they are published by the console maker, then what do make of Minecraft, which is published by Sony on their platforms? 

What about it?  I'm not seeing your problem.  Not unless you're looking at an industry term from a completely consumer perspective.

The heck? Are you saying that Minecraft is a Sony first party game?

Alkibiádēs said:
Intrinsic said:

It's so amazing how you can constantly just say false things. Where in The Last Guardian, do you see the word Ico? Or Shadow of the Colossus? Or where do you even see any indication that it's a sequel? Where do you see the same characters or any indication that the games are the same? It's amazing. Xenoblade Chronicles X is not a new franchise, because of Xenoblade Chronicles. LOL it's just amazing how someone actually has to explain that to you. 

What exactly does Supermassive Games making Until Dawn or Wild Sheep Studio making Wild etc have to do with anything? The Pokemon games are made by a 3rd party, Super Smash Bros games have been made by Bandai, I can go on and on.

And here's the part where you start to downplay Sony games, how many times has that been now?

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"