By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch 2GB or 4GB?

Do we know yet what the Switch will have. Rumours suggested 4GB in both the development kit and retail but a less popular rumour was 2GB in retail units. Has it been confirmed anywhere yet? Normally development kits have more memory than retail so should we expect 2GB?

Around the Network

It's 4GB, The legit rumour was the Foxconn one, that had 4GB.

Do you have a link, I can't find it. Still no confirmation. Nintendo confirmed the wii u 2GB back at launch but have been quiet on the Switch memory. No one seems to know for sure. There was a rumour of a foxconn employee seeing 2 chips on the motherboard but this could still be 2GB or even 1GB.

4GB seems a funny amount of memory when the memory bandwidth is meant to be 25.6GB/s and the GPU gflops are sub 400 or 150 approx when portable. It seems like too much memory for the rest of the system. 2GB would be ample for this performance level for a console. I guess it depends on how much memory the OS takes.

I think there is a real possibility that it is 2GB unless confirmed as 4GB. It was always meant to be 2GB for retail units going by the rumours but then there was a rumour it had been upgraded to the same as the dev kit's for the retail units. It's certainly possible Nintendo had second thoughts about future games being limited by memory and decided to go with 4GB to future proof the design.

The more powerful Nvidia Shield boxes only have 3GB of memory so the weaker Switch gets more memory and even runs games from cartridge which is effectively adding to memory somewhat. Seems excessive for Switch.

bonzobanana said:
Do you have a link, I can't find it. Still no confirmation. Nintendo confirmed the wii u 2GB back at launch but have been quiet on the Switch memory. No one seems to know for sure. There was a rumour of a foxconn employee seeing 2 chips on the motherboard but this could still be 2GB or even 1GB.

4GB seems a funny amount of memory when the memory bandwidth is meant to be 25.6GB/s and the GPU gflops are sub 400 or 150 approx when portable. It seems like too much memory for the rest of the system. 2GB would be ample for this performance level for a console. I guess it depends on how much memory the OS takes.

I think there is a real possibility that it is 2GB unless confirmed as 4GB. It was always meant to be 2GB for retail units going by the rumours but then there was a rumour it had been upgraded to the same as the dev kit's for the retail units. It's certainly possible Nintendo had second thoughts about future games being limited by memory and decided to go with 4GB to future proof the design.

The more powerful Nvidia Shield boxes only have 3GB of memory so the weaker Switch gets more memory and even runs games from cartridge which is effectively adding to memory somewhat. Seems excessive for Switch.

Must have been cheaper to go for 4gb since most mobile developers ship their phones/tablets with 4 gb of memory. Going for 2gb probably would've Made more problems that can be avoided by just going with 4.

bonzobanana said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5ea9uo/rumor_someone_who_producing_switch_at_foxconn_is/?ref=search_posts

And hold it there pal, we don't know anything about the Switch's capabilities. If you're reffering to Eurogamer, they speculate on the X1 part, they might have even had a developer kit with an X1. The Foxconn leak implies 16nm which I guess doesn't really confirm Pascal (could be a die shrink of X1), but looking at the fact Pascal will be cheaper down the line and probably is right now, is much better suited for the form factor of the Switch.

The things he was off about; 1080p screen, though this was according to the spec show-up on the benchmark, and since it was being benchmarked docked it was running 1080p native and therefor leaker assumed that this meant the screen was 1080p, even if not (though he says according to the spec show-up list) I've heard people often mistook it for a 1080p display. 4G was apparently in the developer kit, and it was a mistranslation by the OP I've linked above, I've seen a comment on Reddit that cleared it up and had a link to the repost of the original, I'll try to dig it up. Take notice if the A73s are false, that it was merely speculation based off the ARM_v8 which doesn't indicate A73 cores.

But he got battery precentage right, dock details right (even the fact it has no fan, which LKD at the time was certain of), weight details right, the fact that the Joy-Cons are very complex inside right, the Joy-Con color variations (though he called it orange and not red, but the "red" Joy-Con really looks more pink-ish orange than red) and I've probably missed some stuff. I might have missed other things he got right, but for more info check SpawnWave's video out here;

And I don't see why 4GB would be overkill, if Switch were to get ports from other consoles, which use half the RAM for the OS and the other half for games, Switch is seemingly going to have a very simple OS to conserve RAM, so if it consumed around 500 MB to 1 GB, developers would have around the same amount of RAM to work with as they do on other consoles. And 4GB isn't that much more expensive than 2GB, they're definetly not paying a premium. You have 200 dollar phones with 6 GB of RAM, it probably doesn't cost as much as one would assume. 

Around the Network

How would the Switch be more powerful than WiiU with only 2GB of RAM? Even with better architecture?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I think Nintendo would have had to pay considerably more to go from 2GB to 4GB but it might have the advantage of making sure future supplies of chips are more safe.

Again though we don't actually know at this point if the Switch does have 4GB yet. It is a rumour only. As soon as it hits stores though I'm sure someone will do a teardown and it will be revealed almost immediately if not officially announced before hand.

fleischr said:
How would the Switch be more powerful than WiiU with only 2GB of RAM? Even with better architecture?

Well it is actually fairly close in power to wii u/ps3/360 in portable mode but gets a boost to graphics only in docked mode to allow higher resolutions. It isn't significantly more powerful than wii u anyway but can run code off cartridge and the OS in the background may be significantly simplified compared to wi u. wii u actually used 1GB of its memory for the OS which is huge and not the norm. 

Again all will be revealed with the tear-down that is sure to happen. Memory chips are labelled and as soon as a Switch is opened up the information will be there unlike other facets of the specification which take time to work out.

bonzobanana said:
fleischr said:

Well it is actually fairly close in power to wii u/ps3/360 in portable mode but gets a boost to graphics only in docked mode to allow higher resolutions. It isn't significantly more powerful than wii u anyway but can run code off cartridge and the OS in the background may be significantly simplified compared to wi u. wii u actually used 1GB of its memory for the OS which is huge and not the norm. 

Again all will be revealed with the tear-down that is sure to happen. Memory chips are labelled and as soon as a Switch is opened up the information will be there unlike other facets of the specification which take time to work out.

Where exactly are you getting all of this from because every speculation so far puts it at at least twice as powerful than the Wii U when in portable mode even the lower end speculation. Even the improvements done to BOTW and the presentation of SMO signal that it's higher than what you're claiming here.

bonzobanana said:
fleischr said:

Already talking about dissecting a Switch. You monsters.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969