By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you got PSVR?

Got PSVR?

Im a happy owner of PSVR. 61 35.06%

Im buying PSVR as soon as I have money! 26 14.94%

I dont have PSVR and dont... 31 17.82%

I didnt want it, but beca... 2 1.15%

I was hyped at first, but... 19 10.92%

Im a sad owner of PSVR (n... 7 4.02%

I just want to see how many fools got PSVR. 28 16.09%

Total:174

Lolnope, VR is one of the few thing that necessarily need a beefy hardware imho so if I ever was interested in VR I'd certainly not pick PSVR

Around the Network

A lot of new and old concepts seem simple and beneath you. There's also quite a bit of "shovelware" available. It's better than you think. Give it a try.

It's expensive, though!

I've had it since launch and am really happy with it. There are some great games for it and it works great.

In 2017 I'm looking forward to Farpoint, Dino Frontier, Fantastic Contraption, GTS, and Ace Combat 7 for VR and I'm sure I'll pick up a half dozen or so games that aren't on that list.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

SvennoJ said:
Got one, it's great. I've played 19 games on it so far.

DriveClub VR, Rez Infinite, Thumper, RIGS, Wayward Sky, Bound, Tethered, Thumble, Super Stardust Ultra, Hypervoid, Robinson The Journey, Eagle flight, Here they lie, Space Rift, Vev: Viva ex Vivo, Pinball FX2, O! My Genesis, Holoball, Windlands and I expect you to die. As well as some excellent smaller VR sections and demos, like COD Jackal Assault, Rottr Blood ties, SW Battlefront Rogue One, Playroom VR, RE7 Beginning hour and many fun demos.

I was playing VR games for about 2-3 hour a day since release. I'm having a small break now with The Talos principle until RE7 comes out. I'm also looking forward to Star trek Bridge commander, GT Sports, Obduction, Ace Combat 7, Farpoint and hopefully PSVR will get The witness as well. Blow said he wouldn't do it a year ago, but we'll see.

Other upcoming games that look interesting to me are Fantastic contraption, Unearthed Inc: The lost temple, Dino frontier, Syren, A haunting: witching hour, Polybius, Symphony of the machine, Granblue Fantasy: Project Re:Link, V! What Did I Do to Deserve This, Frontier, Psychonauts 2, Statik, The Hum: Abductions, Visage and Gunship battle 2.

I've already played more VR games last year than non VR games and was hardly gaming anymore until PSVR came out. It has brought back my addiction to gaming (and unfortunately sleep deprivation as well :/ staying up until 3am every night)

So, you seem like the one who have tried the most VR games. What can you tell about the grpahics quality? do you play on an OG PS4 or a PRO?. 

A month ago, i was between jumping from my 60" Full HD Samsung Tv to a 4k 65" Sony TV, or get a PSVR. I got the TV, but now I want to know if itd be worth it to get a PSVR

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Knitemare said:
SvennoJ said:

DriveClub VR, Rez Infinite, Thumper, RIGS, Wayward Sky, Bound, Tethered, Thumble, Super Stardust Ultra, Hypervoid, Robinson The Journey, Eagle flight, Here they lie, Space Rift, Vev: Viva ex Vivo, Pinball FX2, O! My Genesis, Holoball, Windlands and I expect you to die. As well as some excellent smaller VR sections and demos, like COD Jackal Assault, Rottr Blood ties, SW Battlefront Rogue One, Playroom VR, RE7 Beginning hour and many fun demos.

I was playing VR games for about 2-3 hour a day since release. I'm having a small break now with The Talos principle until RE7 comes out. I'm also looking forward to Star trek Bridge commander, GT Sports, Obduction, Ace Combat 7, Farpoint and hopefully PSVR will get The witness as well. Blow said he wouldn't do it a year ago, but we'll see.

Other upcoming games that look interesting to me are Fantastic contraption, Unearthed Inc: The lost temple, Dino frontier, Syren, A haunting: witching hour, Polybius, Symphony of the machine, Granblue Fantasy: Project Re:Link, V! What Did I Do to Deserve This, Frontier, Psychonauts 2, Statik, The Hum: Abductions, Visage and Gunship battle 2.

I've already played more VR games last year than non VR games and was hardly gaming anymore until PSVR came out. It has brought back my addiction to gaming (and unfortunately sleep deprivation as well :/ staying up until 3am every night)

So, you seem like the one who have tried the most VR games. What can you tell about the grpahics quality? do you play on an OG PS4 or a PRO?. 

A month ago, i was between jumping from my 60" Full HD Samsung Tv to a 4k 65" Sony TV, or get a PSVR. I got the TV, but now I want to know if itd be worth it to get a PSVR

I don't know about his experience, but I currently have 20 or so PSVR games and I think that the graphical fidelity is good on a standard PS4. There are some games were aliasing is an issue, but others such as Batman VR look surprisingly good. The only graphical problem I've seen consistenly is that because of the relatively low resolution, things loose detail pretty quickly as they get farther away. Aliasing can also be a problem, but I've also seen a lot of VR put a lot of focus on having good AA. framerates are rock solid aswell.

I think it was probably the right choice to get the new TV though, simply because you'll get more use out of it. But if you've used, and enjoyed VR before than I highly recommend PSVR.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
I was underwhelmed by it. There are no games for it whatsoever and the image quality is worse than on my Gear VR. No way I'm buying that. Ask me again in 10 years.

Image quality is much better then gear VR. But at least Gear VR has catatonic

Knitemare said:
SvennoJ said:

I have alot PSVR Games as well (Robinson the Journey, Batman VR, Rigs: Mechanized Combat League, Eve: Valkyire, Battlezone, Holoball, Until Dawn Rush of Blood, Star Wars Xwing VR Mission, Tethered and some more. The graphics are fine I guess. I think most games look like good PS3 games graphically. The Resolution looks like something between 480p and 720p though but it really doesnt matter at all. I easily got 3-4x as many PSVR games in the past 4 month then I got PS4 games at all. VR is just sooooo much better and sooo awesome. I totally lost interest in "flat gaming". I would NEVER pick any new TV over my PSVR. Its just the future and most people that dont like it never even used it. VR is like the transition from 32bit to 3D gaming. Like the first time you played Mario 64 or Ocarina of time but just played 2D mario and top down Zelda before. Its so damn amazin, You are really in that World. Robinson the Journey is so far probl the best game. This is what it looks like (looks very similar graphically in the Headset as well but full immersive and 3D): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOWRJdpfNLk

Knitemare said:
SvennoJ said:

I bought a ps4 pro on release, had been gaming extensively on psvr since its release a month earlier.

The graphics quality varies. The perceived resolution is a lot lower than on a screen and detail is toned back, most notably in DriveClub VR. However most games look surprisingly good and you forget about the low resolution thanks to stereoscopic 3D enhancing the view. Brighter more colorful games look best. The darker the game the more you start to notice the screendoor effect, although it's very well hidden in psvr. Thumper is pretty dark for example, no screendoor effect visible. Yet wih very dark scenes in Until dawn Rush of Blood you'll start noticing the texture overlaying the screen.

The colors that the RGB OLED screen produces are excellent. A lot better than what my 1080p projector can produce and it makes games like Rez Infinite, Thumper and Pinball FX2 really shine. Thumper, SuperHyperCube, Hypervoid, Holoball look very hypnotic on psvr thanks to the color reproduction of psvr.

Note that resolution varies between psvr titles. The headset is 1080p yet not all games make full use of that. The rendered image gets warped to look correctly in the headset, meaning more screen pixels are used for the center of the image than the edges. So if a game renders in 1080p, part of the center of the image will be upscaled, while the edges are downscaled. You get the best result from downsampling the entire image, which means the game has to render at greater than 1080p for the center. PS4 pro has HW support for multi resolution rendering for VR, but I don't know if any game uses that yet.

Talking about the pro, some games get a big boost, most games look the same. The biggest notable boost is for Robinson: The Journey

Screenshots can't show how it looks in VR, yet you can see it's sharper on psvr. The difference is much more pronounced in the headset.
Other games that benefit are Bound (bit cleaner and extra lighting effects) although that already looked really good on the base ps4.
Trackmania Turbo (40 VR tracks) runs at 120fps on the pro.
DriveClub VR has some extra effects enabled on the pro (reflections on the steering wheel for example) yet no detail or resolution boost.
RIGS renders at a higher resolution on the pro for sharper visuals.

Again hard to show on screenshots, especially since it has been converted twice, once from render target to PSVR, then one eye back to 960x720 for a compressed screenshot.

VR is a lot more than the image quality above suggests though. Yeah it looks like that if you play on the virtual screen floating in front of you. As soon as it switches to VR you're in a different world. It still blows me away when Bound (that launched in 2D) makes the switch to VR. Then when it switches back to 2D when you active the build in photo mode it instantly kills any desire to take a screenshot. That's the most frustrating part, you can't take VR screenshots :/ Even if you could it probably wouldn't work anyway as it's the same as taking a picture in the real world, it doesn't compare. 360 videos, 3D or not, are the weakest part of VR. Lateral head movement is just as important as rotation to immerse yourself in the world.

The best things are, again color reproduction, no perceivable input lag, 120hz head movement correction, 60fps locked frame rate. Headtracking works really well as an input, some of the races in Eagle flight would not be possible with any other control method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tt-plRlXA4

Unfortunately compressed to 720p at 30fps, not representitive of actual gamplay experience, but only way to record it.

Another example, Pinball FX2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KfHM7hy8YQ

It doesn't show the glow of the colors in the headset, the best part of pinball in VR, no display lag and look at it from any angle you want.
(Video capture also cuts off the bottom part converting it to 16:9)

Another one where input lag is vitally important, Thumper

Just as in DriveClub VR it's much easier to judge speed and distance in VR with things coming at you

Here's that horrible looking DriveClub btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBSbKmBU6mQ&t=56s

Really doesn't look that bad once you get into it, and that I did. Played it for 2 moths again until TLG broke my 4th time addiction to DC.

Here's one of the best looking demos on PSVR, COD: Jackal Assault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph64YlRcHMg

And this is one of the worst (resolution wise) Here they lie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMtPo8qBBvI

Still a vey mesmerizing experience I played through twice back to back.
The town section above and later sneaking through the village was amazing.

In the end, yes it's a lot like going back to ps3/360 level graphics. Except it's fully immersive, all around you, in full 3D. It really feels like everything is there and solid. I have tried to lean on virtual surfaces many times lol. It's a new way to experience gaming and the next step after going with a 1080p projector and full surround sound system. A lot cheaper than that too. Going back to the projector feels really restrictive now. Flat, much less sense of scale and that narrow fov making it a lot harder to stay aware of your surroundings in games. But, it is easier on the eyes to read text on the projector.

It's not perfect, but Resident Evil Beginning hour demo looked great, played great, felt amazing. Played it through 4 times. Couple more days for the real thing :)

I have PSVR and 33 games.

Last year I bought PSVR, PS4 Pro, XBR75Z9D 4K HDR TV, STR-5000A, and a STR-5000A 9.2ch Reciever. Out of all of them, the PSVR is the most worthwhile purchase.

I honestly would have rather spent $10,000 on a PSVR that was even better, than the $10,000 spent on the 75" 4K TV. The VR experience is so much greater than 4K, that they really are not compairable. Now don't get me wrong, 4K and HDR are miles better than 1080p when done right. Ratchet and Clank is a brand new game playing it in 4K HDR, and gets me really excited to play more games that take advantage of it. As good as it is though, VR is just so much better.

There are already so many great experiences on PSVR. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Batman Arkham VR, Trackmania Turbo, I expect You To Die, Fruit Ninja, Driveclub VR, Star Wars Battlefront VR, NBA 2K VR, Eagle Flight, Carnival Games VR, Job Simulator, Rigs, Battlezone, Eve, The Playroom, Tomb Raider VR, VR Worlds, and Harmonix Music are stand outs so far for me.

All of those title (except Driveclub) have very good image quality in VR. The experiences are so far advanced over what you can play on a traditional screen, that I have a hard time going back. Like I have said, even the 75" 4K TV just feels limited now. Playing any game on a standard screen feels like I am only playing at 40% of its potential. Add in Move controls, and it you start to forget that you are even playing a game.

It does come with its hiccups and duds though. I did not like Robinson The Journey, Super Hyper Cube, Thumper, Here They Lie, Sports Bar VR, or Surgeon Simulator. Some stuff like Ace Bannana, Call of Duty, Catlateral Damage, Headmaster, and a couple of others where just OK, but not great. They would have been terrible regular games/demos, but in VR they are simply passable, but nothing to go back to.

With that said, thought, there are a handful of great looking titles already up and coming. I can't wait for Resident Evil 7 next week. Gran Turismo, Farpoint, ARK Park, and Ace Combat 7 look like they are going to full fledged VR titles, and make good use of Pro as well. Hopefully we will get more games like MLB The Show, Destiny, Red Dead, and many more throughout the year.

To wrap it all up. I absolutly love PSVR. I spend at least 4 nights a week in VR, for at least 3 hours at a time. It is by far the best gaming experience I have ever had. I can not overstate just how much better gaming in VR is compaired to what I now consider classic games. It is really crazy now, because no matter what I play, I just can't help but think how much better it would be in VR. If I was planning to spend $400 on a display, I would choose PSVR over a tradtional screen ever time. You are not going to get a massivily better experience going from 32" 1080p to 65" 4K HDR, but you will get a completely new, and many times better experience through PSVR.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ill be saving for a PSVR next. Maybe for late may Im getting it.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.