By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Launch Feels Like a "Soft Launch"

Aerys said:
d21lewis said:

Now to drop some facts.

-3DS launched in February. A first quarter launch is not unheard of.

-SNES launched with F Zero, Pilot Wings, and Super Mario World on day one.

-N64 launched with Pilot Wings and Mario 64. That's it.

-The worldwide launch of the Vita was in February.

-Vita (beloved on this site) was $300 at launch for the 3G version and ZERO memory.

-The PS4 and Xbox One launched with several features unavailable. I could list them if you want.

The Switch launch doesn't feel like a "soft launch" to me. I've been around long enough to say it just feels like a launch. Period.

So very good launch for N64 with thé most cult 3D game and à good game un exclusivity for thé launch

SNES.. well you Said everything

3DS was weak but I rémind à better launch than that still

You fail to rémind Vita Wifi ( you know thé version post people bought ) was $250

Thé Switch launch does indeed feels like à weak launch in term of exclusive Switch games. Thé only Big game is à game available on an other console. 

People and journalists are not joking when they say among thé top 3 worsg launch ever 

Then thé futur will tell if the Line Up improves, Mario should help to make this console nécessary but at Christmas.

Thank you for your reply.

Could you link me to one of those "worst launch ever" news columns?

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Captain_Yuri said:
I dont think I was ever hyped for any launch lineup tbh, all of them always felt pretty underwhelming.

The only Launch Lineup I thought was really good was the Vita....

Uncharted, Wipeout, Modnation Racers and Everybody's Golf. Quickly followed by Gravity Rush a little later.

Well, the Switch will have Fast RMX very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbf5Ef9CTIw

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

d21lewis said:
Aerys said:

So very good launch for N64 with thé most cult 3D game and à good game un exclusivity for thé launch

SNES.. well you Said everything

3DS was weak but I rémind à better launch than that still

You fail to rémind Vita Wifi ( you know thé version post people bought ) was $250

Thé Switch launch does indeed feels like à weak launch in term of exclusive Switch games. Thé only Big game is à game available on an other console. 

People and journalists are not joking when they say among thé top 3 worsg launch ever 

Then thé futur will tell if the Line Up improves, Mario should help to make this console nécessary but at Christmas.

No im too lazy for that , im just using m'y perfect memory about N64/ps1/PS2/GameCube/Xbox/Wii/PS3/360/WiiU/One/PS4/GameBoy/color/advance/DS/PSP/3DS/Vita.

So believe me please 

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
d21lewis said:

No im too lazy for that , im just using m'y perfect memory about N64/ps1/PS2/GameCube/Xbox/Wii/PS3/360/WiiU/One/PS4/GameBoy/color/advance/DS/PSP/3DS/Vita.

So believe me please 

I believe you, yo.  I don't know why, but I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYk2nA-Suzs

maxleresistant said:
Agreed. But I think It was the right decision to not wait any more.

Me too. Third parties will see better sales with their games arriving AFTER the initial 3-4 million Nintendo fanatics have their consoles, and not crammed into a crowd of games (Wii U launch). These devs will enjoy more sucess when their game is the big game of the month, as opposed to one of many not-so-compelling multiplats. 

With devs getting kits late, some publishers will be launching their first Switch games in 2018 - when the console already has an established base. Many 3rd parties were gone by that point on the Wii U, and never really got to guage what potential was there for sales on the platform.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

I think Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 should have been a Switch launch title. But yeah, EA...

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Soundwave said:

Say this on NeoGaf and have to say this makes a lot of sense, Switch launch feels an awful lot like a "soft launch". 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336018

- Not too many third party games, and lots of devs don't even seem to have dev kits yet. Most of big third party stuff will be coming by end of year
- Only 2-3 million units for launch
- OS by all accounts, seems incomplete
- No proper online functionality
- Seemingly no other apps (Netflix, browser, etc) besides core gaming functions.

Even the games when you think about it the first two "major" Switch games are Wii U ports .... Zelda and Mario Kart 8. It's not until summer (and that could be as late as August/September) that Splatoon 2 shows up and even that looks exactly like the Wii U game just expanded outwards. 

I think they are rushing the system out for March so that they can have some systems sold for the fiscal year end report (which ends March 31st, 2017). 

They'll trickle out some systems, get a little bit of a userbase going, but I don't think the system "really" launches until September or so, when Splatoon 2 will be out and this when third party games like NBA 2K, Skyrim, FIFA, etc. are presumably going to start coming out. 

I also would not be surprised if Switch inventory/shipments are supply constrained for a while, probably into September. Fall 2017 I think is when the system actually has it's "real" hard launch, that's when you'll get Mario Odyessy + Pokemon Stars (seemingly), better supply, some better third party content, maybe a price cut (or maybe not), etc. 

March is also kind of a random time to launch a system too, I think Nintendo is mostly just going to be aiming at their really core fanbase for the first several months, they're going to be conservative with supply of the system for fear of overproducing. 

Id say its just logic of avoiding Xmas and being comapred to and being smacked in the face by reality and lack of all the BIG 3rd party AAA titles. 

They are relasing as the sale sof the other two died down after holiday sales craze.  Its a time to stand out. 

Looks more like rushed to me.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:

^Boom. 

Pavolink said:

Qft.