Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Launch Feels Like a "Soft Launch"

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yeah, Zelda is such a killer app that the GameCube had two of them yet was still outsold 7:1 by the PS2.

The comparable situation is that the Wii had Zelda at launch and blew the competition out of the water.

It did? Since when was outselling a console that cost over double the Wii did when it launched by only 14 million units "blowing the competition out of the water". It only soly 36% of home consoles sold between the Wii, PS3 and Xbox One. It was one of the closest console sales competitions ever.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
RolStoppable said:

Twilight Princess launched with an attach rate of ~70%. It should be clear that it was the main reason to buy a Wii for most of the people who showed up early. The belief that Zelda cannot shift hardware on its own is ridiculous.

Wii Sports had a 90+% attach rate, though.

It was bundled with the Wii in America and Europe.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Now to drop some facts.

-3DS launched in February. A first quarter launch is not unheard of.

-SNES launched with F Zero, Pilot Wings, and Super Mario World on day one.

-N64 launched with Pilot Wings and Mario 64. That's it.

-The worldwide launch of the Vita was in February.

-Vita (beloved on this site) was $300 at launch for the 3G version and ZERO memory.

-The PS4 and Xbox One launched with several features unavailable. I could list them if you want.

The Switch launch doesn't feel like a "soft launch" to me. I've been around long enough to say it just feels like a launch. Period.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

Wii Sports had a 90+% attach rate, though.

So, that makes it impossible to determine what the main reason for getting it was. You used attach ratio to show that Zelda was the main reason people got the Wii, and then I countered with a game that had a higher attach ratio.

VGPolyglot said:
RolStoppable said:

So, that makes it impossible to determine what the main reason for getting it was. You used attach ratio to show that Zelda was the main reason people got the Wii, and then I countered with a game that had a higher attach ratio.

Are you kidding me? What has this forum become?

Any game that is not bundled with a console is bought because the consumer chose to buy it. The ~70% attach rate for Twilight Princess during launch marks one of the highest rates in video game history. It's exceptionally high. The early adopters of Wii wanted the console because of Zelda.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Around the Network
maxleresistant said:
Agreed. But I think It was the right decision to not wait any more.

^

Nintendo is taking hype to its advantage. Let the excited people get their consoles first, then bring out the games for those who won't just immediately buy the Switch. 

I have nothing against it- just hoping we at least get simple services such as Netflix/YouTube on the eshop

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

Any game that is not bundled with a console is bought because the consumer chose to buy it. The ~70% attach rate for Twilight Princess during launch marks one of the highest rates in video game history. It's exceptionally high. The early adopters of Wii wanted the console because of Zelda.

But still not as high as Wii Sports. If you don't count bundles let's look at Japan. Hint: Wii Sports sold more than Twilight Princess.

While all indicates that Nintendo isn't fully prepared for the Switch launch, it's not a soft launch, but rather a full scale console launch (albeit an imperfect and probably improvised launch), with all the marketing behind it. I just cannot understand the disasturous PR - for some aspects, like online, they should've prepare all the necessary information or should've ommited some vague presentation parts alltogether.

People who don't consider one of the most known and beloved IP's in the history of gaming a system seller are delusional, but success of Switch launch is directly tied to BotW. If it indeed turns out to be Nintendo's Skyrim, they will just need to sit back and watch people fight over every Switch unit on the shelves for months to come. In hindsight, not lowering the price of Wii U was a great move for Nintendo, since there is almost no incentive getting a Wii U over Switch to play BotW.

VGPolyglot said:

But still not as high as Wii Sports. If you don't count bundles let's look at Japan. Hint: Wii Sports sold more than Twilight Princess.

I cannot allow myself to get drawn into this craziness.

The original point of contention was that Zelda moves hardware and that Breath of the Wild will sell Switch. You don't disprove this by saying that another game moves more hardware than Zelda.

VGPolyglot said:
RolStoppable said:

That's where 1,2 Switch comes into play.