By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Strong parallels between Switch and Wii: Next runaway hit for Nintendo?

How do you see NS performing sales wise?

Wii level: 100M+ 42 9.27%

Moderate success: 80M+ 42 9.27%

3DS level: 50M+ 112 24.72%

It will sell more than N64: 30M+ 145 32.01%

Will barely outsell Wii U: 15M+ 86 18.98%

Won't outsell Vita and i... 26 5.74%

Total:453
daredevil.shark said:
It's more like PS Vita 2.

At this point a Sega revival is a lot more realistic than that.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

Main difference would be that the Wii launch line up was far superior.  Far more genres and games represented.  I wouldn't get a Switch till Holiday 2017 if that.

Is that a true statement?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_launch#Titles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games
(sort by launch date to see launch titles)

Using NA as the comparison region. Keep in mind Wii is region locked, NS is not. So for NS you could get any game you want to order in.

1. Wii launched in November *just* after certain yearly titles had just published, NS is in March which is many months after those games were relavant. Thus it makes sense they are clearly not here, but could/should be come NS first holiday.

2. 22 NA Wii luanch titles vs 13 NS when you include region free or 10 for NA only.

3. 50% of Wii's are low-end titles related to moves/TV/etc. None of NS are.

4. Both have Zelda as top end title. Though, I think BotW is driving bigger excitement than TP did.

5. Wii had killer mini-app, Wii Sports as a pack-in. NS has no pack-in and 1-2-Switch is not generating Wii Sports-like excitement.

6. Wii has some action, adventure, puzzle, sports and an FPS title. NS has action, adventure, puzzle, racing, RPG and strategy.

Sorry, but looking at the titles, I see NS has having a wider variance of types of games in I expect a better number of quality titles as well (once they launch and we can properly compare). The only thing missing is a big sports and FPS title. But the strategy and RPG titles compensate for that. It is true that big sports and FPS will likely be on switch by holidays if that is what you're waiting on.

Torillian said:
Mummelmann said:
This reminds me of the "PS4 is the new PS2" early on after the PS4 launched. I don't think the market is poised enough for another Wii and I don't think Switch is the product to achieve sales on that level.

It shares just as many parallels with the Wii U, as others have already pointed out. I'm still waiting before I post my personal, complete opinion though, there are too many questions yet that remain unanswered, or at least only partly answered.

To be fair, this is a bit more egregious then that example because they was atleast after sales had started. This is more like if people said it would be the next PS2 because 2 and 4 are both even numbers.  

Haha, good point...

I think it will take off pretty good. It's different in that it seems more kid friendly, but has a adult supervision thing when it's paired to smartphone. Who knows..

I don't really think that's how it works. Sure, it could be another success, but it doesn't mean it will be because it has similar points to the Wii's launch. I do hope the console is successful though.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Indeed, though the launch lineup isn't that good but as long as there are a lot of late(r) adopters, then it will do just fine

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

1,2 Switch is no Wii Sports and Joycons are no Wiimote circa 2006 (there's no new way to play here), every system today has some kind of motion control.

That's kind of a problem if you're making this comparison.

It's the Wii ... without Wii Sports and the revolutionary new functionality that the Wiimote brought to the table.

As such it's kind of life saying a 2 buns and some lettuce and ketchup is a hamburger ... where's the beef?

Of the 25 games they showed only 2 require motion control. Switch is its own thing, let it be instead of comparing it to the past. The past is long gone and the market conditions are dramatically different today. 

vivster said:
It certainly is very popular in Nintendo circle jerks.

False. Switch is very popular with all the people since the unveiling...

Until you start to talk about certain details...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

This console still needs a sport game. I would welcome another Wii Sports resort. Loved the shit out of table tennis. So awesome.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

RidingMower said:

I think it will take off pretty good. It's different in that it seems more kid friendly, but has a adult supervision thing when it's paired to smartphone. Who knows..

What makes you think this, it is the collored controllers or all those children in their advertisement?