By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I've changed my stance. Nintendo needs to go 3rd party

potato_hamster said:
Hapuc12 said:

Nooooooo a company that is out to make as much money as possible i need to research that.

Yes that's why they went with cheaper alternative then high end to not take them years to recoup the money they invest and it totaly is not true that they will make money from software and other stuff but only hardware the way you are going,and in the end they still make money from hardware.

But hey you did the research making money first day is not profitable.

What are you getting on with? The cost of the hardware itself is not directly related to the cost needed to develop that hardware. By your logic the PS4 Pro cost just as much R&D to develop it as it did the original PS4 because they both have the same price tag. This is of course ridiculous.

Nintendo spent hundreds of millions of dollars developing the technology in the switch, refining it, getting them mass produced etc. Then there's the cost that goes into the hardware itself, the cost that goes into developing the games, the amiibo etc. That means that for this whole Project NX, Nintendo currently sits at negative say, 350 million for the cost of the development, and manufacturing the release consoles, the games, the controllers accessories etc.

Nintendo isn't going to make that 350 million back on launch day. It's going to take them years to chip away at that cost while investing in other games, hardware revisions, firmware updates, etc that are also adding to the cost of the Switch's development and maintenance.

Like i said from software hardware is just icing on the cake.

One Mario kart 8 sold

8 mil * 59 =over 450 mil revenue

And it all depends on the software they sell.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
fordy said:

Okay, I'm going to make this very simple for you...What would the average return rate be (in number of games) to match the profit of a console? Think very hard now, because anybody who thinks that the majority of cash from a console with several games is on the console, are just playing with themselves. Even at a profit, Nintendo keeps their hardware prices minimal. It's why the WiiU never got a price cut; there wasn't any more to cut. 

No, you tell me. You obviously have some sort of "business model" in mind you think Nintendo is currently using, and another "business model" you think they should be using instead. I mean, we need to know what are the costs associated and how would the cost structure change if Nintendo would go 3rd party? How and where would the profit come from? What are Nintendo's strategic goals? What they should be on your business model? How would your business model be better to accomplish these goals? What timeframe goals ate we talking about? What is the risk vs. reward? 

Unless point out the above, you could as well suggest Nintendo to bank on a leprechaun to appear and use his magic to make Nintendo the only company to control the global trade.

Nintendo's business model largely focuses on IP sales, mostly through software, but also through merchandise. Hardware is sold on a "per need" basis, therefore very little profit to be made from it. These will barely change in a 3rd party transition, the only difference will be the removal of the barely profitable hardware division to focus greater on where the profits are actually made, IP.

As I'm going to mention again, a platform with 5 times the userbase has a very fair chance of doubling the software sales. This will also in turn boost mechandise sales. Considering the majority of the profits already reside there, it would not take as much increase in software and merchandise to recoup the losses made from hardware.

onionberry said:
fordy said:

The 15% gamer base?

15 is a good quantity because the gamer base is PC,PS4,XBOX,Mobile,Nintendo

some companies would kill for that  15%

Actually if you include mobile and PC, the share becomes significantly lower.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Hapuc12 said:

One Mario kart 8 sold

Sold at retail? Taking out the tax and retail cut, you're closer to a half. That would be Nintendo's cut. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

fordy said:
bdbdbd said:

No, you tell me. You obviously have some sort of "business model" in mind you think Nintendo is currently using, and another "business model" you think they should be using instead. I mean, we need to know what are the costs associated and how would the cost structure change if Nintendo would go 3rd party? How and where would the profit come from? What are Nintendo's strategic goals? What they should be on your business model? How would your business model be better to accomplish these goals? What timeframe goals ate we talking about? What is the risk vs. reward? 

Unless point out the above, you could as well suggest Nintendo to bank on a leprechaun to appear and use his magic to make Nintendo the only company to control the global trade.

Nintendo's business model largely focuses on IP sales, mostly through software, but also through merchandise. Hardware is sold on a "per need" basis, therefore very little profit to be made from it. These will barely change in a 3rd party transition, the only difference will be the removal of the barely profitable hardware division to focus greater on where the profits are actually made, IP.

As I'm going to mention again, a platform with 5 times the userbase has a very fair chance of doubling the software sales. This will also in turn boost mechandise sales. Considering the majority of the profits already reside there, it would not take as much increase in software and merchandise to recoup the losses made from hardware.

Don't forget royalties fees. Nintendo does make money off of all third party games sold on their platform, and while those sales may not be great at the moment, I'm sure Nintendo would like to recapture what they had on Wii and DS (and 3DS has good third party sales).

And if we're now focusing on Nintendo making money, they are now (sadly) charging for their online service. I'm sure having 15-30 million subscribes to that service will make a nice amount of money for Nintendo. 

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
fordy said:

The 15% gamer base?

So you vs 15% of the user base.  

No, and this is why a lot of you cannot understand this. You have an "us vs them" mentality that isn't healthy, ESPECIALLY in sales and marketing. 

The fact is that other systems have 5 times the userbase. That's 5 times the amount of potential customers, ones that would happily buy one or two titles, but not an entire console just for those two.

fordy said:
onionberry said:

15 is a good quantity because the gamer base is PC,PS4,XBOX,Mobile,Nintendo

some companies would kill for that  15%

Actually if you include mobile and PC, the share becomes significantly lower.

Thanks for pointing that out.

your fantasy share without facts, I mean, Nintendo sold more hardware this gen than xbox cause you know, the 3ds counts, still selling, with the best selling exclusive of 2016. So thinking about that, I'm not sure if your data is correct.

A company should go third party after selling 60+ million portable devices and millions and millions of games, because fuck logic.

fordy said:

Ok. But that's not business model.

Being successful would mean 5 times the userbase anyway.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

fordy said:
SpokenTruth said:

So you vs 15% of the user base.  

No, and this is why a lot of you cannot understand this. You have an "us vs them" mentality that isn't healthy, ESPECIALLY in sales and marketing. 

The fact is that other systems have 5 times the userbase. That's 5 times the amount of potential customers, ones that would happily buy one or two titles, but not an entire console just for those two.

That is simply not ture. 3DS has the highest install base at the moment. PS4 and Xbox One combined are not 5 times that....or even double that. 

bdbdbd said:
Hapuc12 said:

One Mario kart 8 sold

Sold at retail? Taking out the tax and retail cut, you're closer to a half. That would be Nintendo's cut. 

Again they made shit ton of money and on that splatoon they make money.

And it's not the problem here with how much do they make money or this and that,problem here is that we are all acting like smartasses like we know what is happenening inside the company and acting like we know what is the best outcome for them.