By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rock Band for Wii: WTF?!

I just don't why online is such a big deal. I would rather play it with a friend than some freakshow I don't know online.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

From all indications, the Wii version is a PS2 port -- a rushed one at that.

It appears that Harmonix saw the (unexpected by analysts) high sales of GH3 on Wii and knew it could not wait.

Two ironies here. The first was that many said RockBand Wii was being held for DLC (which it won't have -- just five extra tracks bringing the total to 63 songs). The second is that WiiWare games have successfully implemented DLC, so it can be done on the Wii (the DLC on FFCC... can almost double the cost of the game according to Wired's Blog).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

bigjon said:
I just don't why online is such a big deal. I would rather play it with a friend than some freakshow I don't know online.

Because you can't always get four people together at one time.

And not all people that play online are 'freak shows'.  I don't get that.  Do you not play Brawl online?  I mean, you might get matched up with 'some freak show'.

And online is only one of the major gripes.  The other being DLC, which is a huge part of the game, as the 10 million nor so downloads on a game with >1 million userbase shows.  Also, no world tour mode?  So the whole aspect of making a band, and getting fans, playing at bigger venues is all lost.  

It seems to me that lots of people want to downlplay how horrible of a game this port will be, rather than just realize that until Nintendo comes up with a solution for storing DLC, and about their lackluster online service, that game that utilize those things on the PS3 and 360 will be stripped for the Wii.  You should be mad at Nintendo, Harmonix.

Rugger08 said:
Rock Band for the Wii is an insult, don't get it. Don't support gimped ps2 ports for the Wii.

My only concern with the whole "don't support it and don't buy it" plan is that if RB sales suffer there'll be plenty of idiot fanboys who yell "Lol Wii third-party sales are garbage" which I personally don't mind as it'll keep happening anyway but if a Harmonix/EA rep comes to the same conclusion it doesn't bode well for future Wii support.

At this point i'm going to wait and see.  If DLC is magically announced before release it's a definite buy.  Without DLC i'd be willing to pick up a standalone copy of the game and a set of drums if GH3 guitars become supported (right now they aren't).  Then again once those 5 new tracks are announced that could change things depending on what they are.

Did they really say NO ONLINE ?

Because I remember the same was said for Guitar Hero 3, meaning only no ONLINE Downloadable Content

Everybody thought about no online at all back then, but still... We DO have online on GH3.

Same goes for Rock Band in my opinion

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !

Around the Network

The current library of Rockband songs for DLC are over 2GB total (around 50-60 songs).

There's no way the Wii version will include alot of the DLC songs. From what I've read, it might get 5.

Regardless of what you want to say, Rockband's online component is very good, because you can go online and join a virtual band, or battle against other bands for leader positioning.

I know I'm not a Wii owner, but I'll say this: RockBand will be useless, compared to the 360/PS3 version. Would you buy Super Mario Galaxy with only 1 level?

DLC isn't a rip-off. You can buy it if you want, and some songs (like Stay Alive) are Free.

Here's the issue with the DLC:

One major content pack (ie the Boston Pack) takes up about 200-250mb of space, or 900 blocks of Wii data. Each song is atleast 100 blocks, if not more. Until Nintendo gets it's rear in gear about a real HDD solution, rather than a 1/2gb flash card...I'd think EA/Harmonix would provide a viable online component (DLC). So don't compare it to the DLC for FF:CC, which might take up a few, few blocks.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

If the no online play is unconfirmed, then this is much ado about nothing until confirmed.

Most Wii owners (non core gamers) aren't going to care about the lack of certain features, because unless they've already played on another platform, and/or own another platform, they won't know what's missing. The typical Wii owner isn't going to do a side by side comparison between versions because they have little or no intention of ever buying a 360 or PS3 anyway.

For those who own more than one console, there is virtually no reason for buying a multiplatform game like Rock Band for the Wii, months later, not even factoring in the loss of continual new DLC and online play. Only the extreme die hard fan would do this and they don't drive market sales trends.

Due to the later release, the main reason for publishing RB for the Wii is simple additional sales and creating a broader demographic by being available to the highest number of potential buyers. It's not being released as a competing platform game.

If you are a core gamer who cares about things like DLC and online play, the lack of these features may mean paying the same for a limited experience since it's missing two of the features that make RB so appealing in the first place. But the typical core gamer is not solely gaming on the Wii to begin with because of its limitations.

So, if you're a core gamer who limits game time to the Wii, either you want to play Rock Band or you don't. If those platform limited missing features are that big of an issue, then it may be time to pick up a second console.

Plenty of casual gamers will buy Rock Band for the Wii regardless of what it does or doesn't have.

Link posted to official MTV Game's statement. No DLC, no online functionality (like PS2) until Wii's online functionality is better realized.

So, not now, but potentially in the future.

Official word:

“In response to your questions, ‘Rock Band’ for the Wii will have functionality similar to the PS2 version. There will be no DLC available, but the Wii version will have the five additional songs on the game disc. This version was also co-developed by Pi Studios [and Harmonix].

“When developing ‘Rock Band’ for the Wii platform, we focused on making the core gameplay experience as solid and enjoyable as possible while tailoring it specifically to the strengths of the platform.

“The Wii version still contains the robust four-player band experience and all the fun at the core of other versions of ‘Rock Band.’ However, because the Wii’s online capabilities and potential have yet to be fully realized, we wanted to wait before we explored online functionality for ‘Rock Band’ to ensure that players get the high-quality of online performance they’ve come to expect.”

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/03/24/wii-rock-band-wont-have-online-or-dlc-will-have-five-exclusive-songs/

That Guy said:

I own a Wii and Rock Band intrigues me. So I was hoping that they would eventually port Rock Band over to the Wii and they will be.

But now I'm reading that there will be no online and no downloadable content. WTF?! It's not like Rock Band is the most graphically intense game out there; and the Wii is online capable. SO WHY ARE THEY GIMPING IT?!

I'm seriously considering getting a PS3 now so that I don't get the gimpy version of Rock Band (PS3 MGS4 pack + MGS essential collection + Rock Band + Netflix is enough to get me to jump onto the PS3)

RockBand is awesome but online is not a must have feature though. I own the PS3 version and I had more fun playing this game with friends than any other game ever.

Juts go buy a PS3 and RockBand man, you will not regret it at all.

PS: I'm replaying all the MGS series again... I forgot how Metal Gear Solid was good. All of them, freaking amazing game. Tomorrow I'm getting my Metal Gear Online codes from GameStop and in 2 weeks in beta time :)

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

DMeisterJ said:
bigjon said:

Because you can't always get four people together at one time.

And not all people that play online are 'freak shows'.  I don't get that.  Do you not play Brawl online?  I mean, you might get matched up with 'some freak show'.

And online is only one of the major gripes.  The other being DLC, which is a huge part of the game, as the 10 million nor so downloads on a game with >1 million userbase shows.  Also, no world tour mode?  So the whole aspect of making a band, and getting fans, playing at bigger venues is all lost.  

It seems to me that lots of people want to downlplay how horrible of a game this port will be, rather than just realize that until Nintendo comes up with a solution for storing DLC, and about their lackluster online service, that game that utilize those things on the PS3 and 360 will be stripped for the Wii.  You should be mad at Nintendo, Harmonix.

no I do not play Brawl online. I play it when friends come over, I play single player a bit, I even play against computer sometimes for a warm up.... I guess I am just so used to playing smash w/ people in the room with me. To me that is most of the fun... beating my FRIENDS into a pulp : ). I would not get that kind of enjoyment playing someone online.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut