By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Odyssey is successor Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine, not to Galaxy and 3D Land/World

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Meanwhile the spiritual sequel to Banjo-Tooie remains unmade :(

Yooka-Laylee says hi. :)

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Disagree, both Galaxy and 3D Land/World are games that are linear, without open sandbox world for exploring, compared to SM64, SMS and now to Mario Odyssey.

Mario Galaxy is based on free-movement and camera, and it's gameplay consists of levels with multiple end-points (the Stars) accessible from a single hub-world. Exactly like 64 and Sunshine. Mario 3D World on the other hand is based on 8-way movement and fixed camera, with gameplay elements like linear one-time visits to levels with single-start/single-endpoint (the Flagpole) and based on time, accessible from linearly progressing 'worlds'. Like the 2D games. Galaxy's base-game design is reminiscent of 64 and Sunshine, 3D World is of the 2D games. Saying Galaxy is discounted because it's less open and therefore fits more with 3D World is like saying Skyward Sword isn't a real Zelda game because there's no Hyrule Field.

I said it for years that Galaxy and 3D World were not réal Mario 3D as Mario 64 inventéd thème but Nintendo fans were mocking me.

Now you see ? I was right, Nintendo agrees
WE, true fans, waited 15 years for thé réal successorale of thé 2 first real 3D Mario

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

it's a successor to Mario 64 and GTA

Hmm interesting, as I've always seen the Galaxy games as mainline Mario titles - between their grandiose nature and system of star collecting very similar to 64 and Sunshine. Mario 3D World/Land to me stands alone in that it tries to meet the classic 2D games half way by blending the more simple oldschool sidescrolling with the more epic nature of the 3D games. There is some grey area of course, as Galaxy games were more linear and had smaller environments, but I still feel like they were true 64/Sunshine sequels, moreso than 3D World. 

On a side note, I should really give Sunshine another chance.. It's always been one of my least favorite, and least played Mario games, and so I pretty much ran through it once and put it on the shelf and moved on. But in hindsight, it is still a pretty damn good game it its own right. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
it's a successor to Mario 64 and GTA

You mean crossover ;)

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Miyamoto also said that unlike Galaxy and 3D World, this Mario is going to be for "core gamers". Shots fired.

Wait, does this confirm that there is a split in the Mario timeline?

Do we have a Mushroom Kingdom Hystoria incoming?

I WILL BUY DAY ONE!

BraLoD said:
Aerys said:

I said it for years that Galaxy and 3D World were not réal Mario 3D as Mario 64 inventéd thème but Nintendo fans were mocking me.

Now you see ? I was right, Nintendo agrees
WE, true fans, waited 15 years for thé réal successorale of thé 2 first real 3D Mario

You are taking things a bit out of context.
Neither does it means Galaxy and 3D World were not "real Mario 3D" neither did Nintendo ever agreed with it.

They had a different formula, from each other as well, even as more linear focused games, but that doesn't exclude them from being 3D Mario games, as both were 3D games, 3D World even has it on its name

I'm not a "true fan" by your definition, tho, as Galaxy and 3D World where amazing games and got me into finally liking the transistion from 2D to 3D in the series, as Bros. 3 and World were SO MUCH better than 64 and Sunshine.

Considering you were about 3 years old when SM64 came out, I don't think you should be too critical on the game. If you didn't play it when it came out, you don't have any idea of how amazing it was. 

In 20 years when a 23 year old guy goes online and says Galaxy isn't a good game, you'll understand where I'm coming from.

good because honestly I felt 3D Land/World were pretty boring and unimaginative.

Galaxy was cool, obviously, because everyone loves space and the stars and there were interesting elements as far as gravity and other things.

for me the 64 Mario with the Castle, or Sunshine with exploring an island- they're way more immersive and fun games because it feels like you're actually involved in a WORLD with some level of reality and rules. The last few mainline Mario games have just felt like "oh there's some magical stuff and there's an extremely linear way to go through these levels in a path". blah.

Mario with some exploration is fun and in my eyes what makes 3D Mario so great compared to the more classic 2D. I remember as a kid exploring the Castle in Mario 64 and it was a bit mysterious and great. Obviously you still have the level warp path to some degree but still