By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Graphics! Don’t give up on them just yet.

spemanig said:
bigtakilla said:

XC was not an anime cel shaded game. Not sure where you got that idea.

I don't believe for a second that XC2 being cel-shaded has anything to do with the hardware, and like Ck1x said, the original was plenty anime. If they wanted, they could have made all the models look like Shulk's from Smash 4 and it would look fine.

Nintendo makes everything that art-style. It's not a concession. It's what they do. GTAV, TLoU, and MGSV all run on (presumably) weaker hardware. If Nintendo wanted to make graphically impressive looking games on the Switch, they'd have no problems doing it. They just don't want to.

I know they could, my line of thinking leans more toward budget cuts than actual tech, as you said, the Wii and Wii U were able to pull it off.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
spemanig said:

I don't believe for a second that XC2 being cel-shaded has anything to do with the hardware, and like Ck1x said, the original was plenty anime. If they wanted, they could have made all the models look like Shulk's from Smash 4 and it would look fine.

Nintendo makes everything that art-style. It's not a concession. It's what they do. GTAV, TLoU, and MGSV all run on (presumably) weaker hardware. If Nintendo wanted to make graphically impressive looking games on the Switch, they'd have no problems doing it. They just don't want to.

I know they could, my line of thinking leans more toward budget cuts than actual tech, as you said, the Wii and Wii U were able to pull it off.

Honestly, I like the theory that Xenoblade 2 was originally Monolith's 3DS game, and it transitioned to Switch development (being replaced by Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.) That is probably why there was a transition to a cell-shaded art-style, and since art assets are expensive to produce they just stuck with them. 

Ck1x said:
bigtakilla said:

It's not the next generation of where anything started. Both XC and X share a similar art style. No they aren'tthe same, but very similar. XC2 is an entirely different direction that is frankly a cop out to a generic anime style.

At this point I'm not entirely sure of the point you are trying to make! You are ready to judge a system and it's abilities off of the limited games we have seen in development. No one is expecting a portable XbOne or PS4 so what's your argument?

Are you trying to say that Nintendo cut corners some where? Where would they have gotten this readily available powerful SoC from to use in their device for a reasonable price?

If you know anything about technology point to another device that is packed with as much as the Switch for the same price. The device is definitely worth $300, now you or other people may not see that and that's okay. But I don't think we need to minimize what the Switch is doing for portable gaming, forget what Nintendo says this system is definitely the successor to the 3ds as well. 

No, I'm just talking about XB2s artstyle

sc94597 said:
bigtakilla said:

Honestly, I like the theory that Xenoblade 2 was originally Monolith's 3DS game, and it transitioned to Switch development (being replaced by Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.) That is probably why there was a transition to a cell-shaded art-style, and since art assets are expensive to produce they just stuck with them. 

Possibly, I could really see this as something that started on a handheld.

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo's always been pretty good at getting pretty visuals out of low end tech; Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 managed to look great on Wii, as did Captain Toad on Wii U.

I agree.
It's surprising how well some Gamecube titles hold up when Emulated on the PC.
The art-style in Luigi's Mansion a game released a decade and half ago has aged pretty well all things considered.

That is one thing I can say about Nintendo. In general I would say their games age better than any other game developer

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
bigtakilla said:
There's more than likely a reason they are making everything in an animated art style (including Monolith Soft). That's all I'm gonna say.

Could it be that they actually want their games to feel unique and interesting and not realistic and boring? Shocking

Xenoblade WAS the thing that felt unique on the Nintendo console. It's more like you go to Mc Donald's because you love their burgers, but they also had the Mac Rib sandwich which comes out every now and again and is like the best thing on the planet. Then you go one time and they said they have a new take on the Mc Rib and it turns out it's just a hamburger with barbaque sauce on it. (Keep in mind, just an example. I hate Mc Donald's and the Mc Rib)

Your statement would also imply that Xenoblade and X were not interesting or unique and that they were boring. Well I'll just say that statement isn't true in the slightest. You should play them sometime.

it is not about graphics its about being able to port easily without gimping the game too a shit unrecognisable level. if the gap is too different you may as well design a separate version and pay as well not get the game to justify the cost to build it for one platform.

Switch Exlusive:
1080p60
Fast RMX

bigtakilla said:
Dulfite said:

Could it be that they actually want their games to feel unique and interesting and not realistic and boring? Shocking

Xenoblade WAS the thing that felt unique on the Nintendo console. It's more like you go to Mc Donald's because you love their burgers, but they also had the Mac Rib sandwich which comes out every now and again and is like the best thing on the planet. Then you go one time and they said they have a new take on the Mc Rib and it turns out it's just a hamburger with barbaque sauce on it. (Keep in mind, just an example. I hate Mc Donald's and the Mc Rib)

Your statement would also imply that Xenoblade and X were not interesting or unique and that they were boring. Well I'll just say that statement isn't true in the slightest. You should play them sometime.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I loved the Xenoblade games for how different they were, but XBC2 so far looks stylistically just like every other big JRPG made in the last decade. It's a bit disappointing.

I never gave up, I just never care. I have PC for my graphic need, just bring in the games :)

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke