By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Graphics! Don’t give up on them just yet.

Ck1x said:
bigtakilla said:

It's not the next generation of where anything started. Both XC and X share a similar art style. No they aren'tthe same, but very similar. XC2 is an entirely different direction that is frankly a cop out to a generic anime style.

At this point I'm not entirely sure of the point you are trying to make! You are ready to judge a system and it's abilities off of the limited games we have seen in development. No one is expecting a portable XbOne or PS4 so what's your argument?

Are you trying to say that Nintendo cut corners some where? Where would they have gotten this readily available powerful SoC from to use in their device for a reasonable price?

If you know anything about technology point to another device that is packed with as much as the Switch for the same price. The device is definitely worth $300, now you or other people may not see that and that's okay. But I don't think we need to minimize what the Switch is doing for portable gaming, forget what Nintendo says this system is definitely the successor to the 3ds as well. 

All people are looking at, is it's raw power, which is why they keep stating that it's "outdated" tech when it's really not, just look at all the tech they've shoved in the controllers.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
FunFan said:

Enter the GeForce 830m. What so special about it? Two things: 

1- It’s based on the Maxwell architecture. That is one of the rumored architectures the Switch custom GPU is based on. The other possible GPU architecture being the much improved Pascal.

2- Its rated at 526 gigaflops. The Tegra X-1 (also Maxwell) is rated at 512 gigaflops.

1) The Geforce 830M has 57% less bandwidth, than Tegra. - Both are based on Maxwell, so both have the same bandwidth saving technology.

2)  The Tegra has double the Render-Out-Put Pipelines. But they are also running 33% slower each, giving the Geforce 830M a theoretical Render-output-pipeline disadvantage of 49%.

So as you can see, FLOPS isn't everything. And you should probably stop using it in the context you are intending.

The Geforce 830M however does have a Texture Mapping Unit and Polymorph engine edge, leading the Tegra by 33.9%

Basically the comparison you used can only be used as a "guestimate" not something that is accurate.

Before I started that comparison, exactly the line before, I said "doing some highly educated conjecture" meaning completely improvised guesswork. I thought the wink emoji was enough hint that I wasn't being serious. I myself have been quite the critic of using flops as a definitive measure of performance.

But I wanted a Maxwell chip that was compatible with Windows as the ARM based Tegra isn't yet, so there's no DS3 or The Witcher 3 benchmark for the X-1. I have to go with the best I have available.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

bigtakilla said:
Ck1x said:

For the new Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I think it being a direct sequel has more to do with the art style than anything else. XCX was said by the developers to be its own thing set apart from the first and now second game.

XC was not an anime cel shaded game. Not sure where you got that idea.

I don't believe for a second that XC2 being cel-shaded has anything to do with the hardware, and like Ck1x said, the original was plenty anime. If they wanted, they could have made all the models look like Shulk's from Smash 4 and it would look fine.

Nintendo makes everything that art-style. It's not a concession. It's what they do. GTAV, TLoU, and MGSV all run on (presumably) weaker hardware. If Nintendo wanted to make graphically impressive looking games on the Switch, they'd have no problems doing it. They just don't want to.

The Switch X1 may have less hardware power than the GeForce 830m but it is a console and allows for more direct hardware access and better optimization, so it has that going for it. We have to wait if AAA ports will come.

Hmm... very interesting. The only major factor I can see that will get in the way now is for developers to simply then put the game on the Switch on the same day and with the same content. But this is promising.

Around the Network

all I know is the 10 minute IGN gameplay video the other day live on the Switch in handheld mode looked absolutely incredible. I'm not concerned about graphics

bear in mind a lot of us already were avid 3DS gamers and the Switch is probably like 10x graphically compared to that so haha

If you look back through these forums and others BEFORE the reveal there was a whole lot of Nintendo fans claiming the Switch will have PS4 graphics and all that.... .I don't know why they do this when they know Nintendo is NOT about graphics.

They claim graphics is not important but with the Switch that's all many talked about, until it is clear that the graphics are weak relative to the other consoles then they revert back to "Graphics don't matter".

I want great graphics on my PC. I want goodish graphics on my mainstream consoles. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT graphics on Nintendo consoles. I just want their games.

curl-6 said:

Switch graphics look fine to me. They may not match PS4 or Xbox One pixel for pixel, but honestly I think Mario Odyssey looks absolutely beautiful, and if that's the kind of visuals we can expect moving forwards, I'd be more than happy.

With the exception of the city and realistic proportioned people, I agree the art style and charm look great.

rjason12 said:

All people are looking at, is it's raw power, which is why they keep stating that it's "outdated" tech when it's really not, just look at all the tech they've shoved in the controllers.

Allot of the tech in the controllers stem from what Nintendo did with the Wii.

How is that new?

FunFan said:

Before I started that comparison, exactly the line before, I said "doing some highly educated conjecture" meaning completely improvised guesswork. I thought the wink emoji was enough hint that I wasn't being serious. I myself have been quite the critic of using flops as a definitive measure of performance.

But I wanted a Maxwell chip that was compatible with Windows as the ARM based Tegra isn't yet, so there's no DS3 or The Witcher 3 benchmark for the X-1. I have to go with the best I have available.

Still. You should have probably recognized the other differences the chips brang to the table so people (Who aren't technically literate) don't take the flops you presented as gospel.

Hiku said:
FloatingWaffles said:

It's still never been confirmed that a Tegra X1 though is what is in the Switch. All that has ever been said is "Custom Tegra Chip".  Even if it were an X1, Nintendo got a modified version of it that could have increased what it can do greatly. 

Nintendo never reveal their specs though. They still haven't revealed WiiU's specs. The way we find out is through leaked developer documents (which is what Eurogamer reported on), and from people opening up the systems to look around.

We actually had a polysilicon die shot of the Wii U's various chips.

We didn't need Nintendo to reveal the specifications.

numberwang said:

The Switch X1 may have less hardware power than the GeForce 830m but it is a console and allows for more direct hardware access and better optimization, so it has that going for it. We have to wait if AAA ports will come.

Wrong. The Switch in many cases has more power than the Geforce 830M.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

If it runs well, then that's what I mainly care about but this is good to hear

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]