By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-On with Nintendo Switch

UnderstatedCornHole said:
Rab said:

It appears you also have the same narrow view

Black and white (absolute) thinking generally starts with the young and is reduced as peope age with aquired wisdom

No, in this case we are talking the conveyence of opinion. It helps to give that in absolute terms. Obviously the actual experience of the DF team would be subjective but quantifying that in relative terms is what they have done.

It sounds like you are unhappy that they haven't discussed magical sparkley bits?

Sounds like your happy with the narrow view, although having narrow views does reduce deeper understanding so I dont recommend it, but one step at a time

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

They haven't announced all games yet, but what did the Wii U have for the first 9 months? Nintendoland, New Super Mario Bros. U (which was basically the Wii version in HD) and Pikmin 3. 

In 2017 the Switch will get The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Super Mario Odyssey. That's already a vast improvement if you ask me. 

In it's first year Wii U also got Wind Waker HD, New Super Luigi U, Sing Party, Wii Sports Club, Wii Party U, and Wii Fit U. That's 9 first party titles in its first year, Switch doesn't look like it will significantly surpass that unless they're holding back a ton of announcements.

I mean, if this is supposed to replace 3DS as well as the Wii U, then where's Monster Hunter, Pokemon, and other portable staples?

That's 14 months you're counting for the Wii U and most of those games weren't very good...

New Super Luigi U was just DLC. I know they gave it a retail release as well, but it's still just DLC.

Sing Party was developped by a third party studio... And well... It's Sing Party, who cares? Notice how I didn't include games like Fire Emblem Warriors either for the Switch? I only listed first-party developped games. 

Wii Sports Club was a huge bomb. It might as well have not been made. 

Wii Party U somehow sold a lot (for being on the Wii U anyway), but it was still a bad game. 

Wii Fit U was another huge bomb. The Wii crowd had abandonned the Wii U.

Most of the games you listed were small, low quality and sold poorly. No wonder the Wii U bombed the way it did. 

Why would Gamefreak announce a new Pokémon game already and cut the legs short of the sales of Sun & Moon on the 3DS? Monster Hunter is a third party game, ask Capcom where a Switch Monster Hunter is. 

I'll gladly take my new Zelda, 3D Mario, Splatoon 2, new character IP (that isn't based on fucking Mii's), improved Mario Kart 8 and Xenoblade Chronicles sequel over the games you mentioned. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

can they open their Switch and take a look at what is the actual Tegra chip the Switch is using?

curl-6 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

They haven't announced all games yet, but what did the Wii U have for the first 9 months? Nintendoland, New Super Mario Bros. U (which was basically the Wii version in HD) and Pikmin 3. 

In 2017 the Switch will get The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Super Mario Odyssey. That's already a vast improvement if you ask me. 

In it's first year Wii U also got Wind Waker HD, New Super Luigi U, Sing Party, Wii Sports Club, Wii Party U, and Wii Fit U. That's 9 first party titles in its first year, Switch doesn't look like it will significantly surpass that unless they're holding back a ton of announcements.

I mean, if this is supposed to replace 3DS as well as the Wii U, then where's Monster Hunter, Pokemon, and other portable staples?

Well for Pokemon it doesn't take rocket science to realize that it's been only a few months since Sun and Moon came out. Why halt momentum of sales of the games just to potentially wait another 8 or so months for the third version (or remakes) to come out? Plus it's Game Freak, they'll announce something when they're ready to. Monster Hunter is also having a new game that just came out (XX) so what can you do?

We'll eventually hear what IS (beyond FE Warriors), Level 5 (who are working on Lady Layton and just released a third version of YW3), and others are developing.

Rab said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:

No, in this case we are talking the conveyence of opinion. It helps to give that in absolute terms. Obviously the actual experience of the DF team would be subjective but quantifying that in relative terms is what they have done.

It sounds like you are unhappy that they haven't discussed magical sparkley bits?

Sounds like your happy with the narrow view, although having narrow views does reduce deeper understanding so I dont recommend it, but one step at a time

Let's try and pull back on the "holier than thou" attitude a bit.  If you don't want to talk about resolution and console power and whatnot then a Digital Foundry thread just isn't for you.  I'm sure there are many other threads with a more "holistic" approach.   

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
curl-6 said:

That's 14 months you're counting for the Wii U and most of those games weren't very good...

New Super Luigi U was just DLC. I know they gave it a retail release as well, but it's still just DLC.

Sing Party was developped by a third party studio... And well... It's Sing Party, who cares? Notice how I didn't include games like Fire Emblem Warriors either for the Switch? I only listed first-party developped games. 

Wii Party U somehow sold a lot (for being on the Wii U anyway), but it was still a bad game. 

Most of the games you listed were small, low quality and sold poorly. No wonder the Wii U bombed the way it did. 

Why would Gamefreak announce a new Pokémon game already and cut the legs short of the sales of Sun & Moon on the 3DS? Monster Hunter is a third party game, ask Capcom where a Switch Monster Hunter is. 

I'll gladly take my new Zelda, 3D Mario, Splatoon 2, new character IP (that isn't based on fucking Mii's), improved Mario Kart 8 and Xenoblade Chronicles sequel over the games you mentioned. 

To be fair, 1-2 Switch and ARMS looks pretty bad also.

I'm not defending Wii U first year, it was terrible but if Switch has Nintendo's full development workforce behind it, why does it have only 4 major new games announced for 2017?

curl-6 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

I'm not defending Wii U first year, it was terrible but if Switch has Nintendo's full development workforce behind it, why does it have only 4 major new games announced for 2017?

So far Arms has been received more positively by those who have actually tried it during the events. And if Splatoon is something to go by, we haven't seen everything from that game just yet. Some are a bit mixed with 1, 2 Switch as it has an interesting concept in utilizing the joy cons' unique features but they're not sure if it'll remain engaging for a long period of time.

curl-6 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

What? Arms looks pretty great, a lot of previews have been positive. What on earth are you talking about?

You do realize Nintendo also holds Directs and E3 conferences, right? If they announce everything now some games might get overshadowed. They didn't show what Retro is working on for example, but they haven't released a game since early 2014 (and already started developing a new game a few months before it released), so that new game will be entering the final phase of development. I expect it will get announced at E3 this year and release somewhere in 2018. I also very much doubt that Next Level Games only worked on Metroid: Federation Force for the last 3 years... If so, what a HUGE FAIL lol. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
curl-6 said:

What? Arms looks pretty great, a lot of previews have been positive. What on earth are you talking about?

You do realize Nintendo also holds Directs and E3 conferences, right? If they announce everything now some games might get overshadowed. They didn't show what Retro is working on for example, but they haven't released a game since early 2014 (and already started developing a new game a few months before it released), so that new game will be entering the final phase of development. I expect it will get announced at E3 this year and release somewhere in 2018. I also very much doubt that Next Level Games only worked on Metroid: Federation Force for the last 3 years... If so, what a HUGE FAIL lol. 

ARMS looks like a glorified version of the Wii Sports boxing minigame IMO, but I'm trying to be less negative so I won't dwell on it.
And yes, I realize Nintendo likes to hold stuff back, but in this instance they really shouldn't, because its not a good look for their first year lineup to resemble the kind of support Wii U got.

Torillian said:
Rab said:

Let's try and pull back on the "holier than thou" attitude a bit.  If you don't want to talk about resolution and console power and whatnot then a Digital Foundry thread just isn't for you.  I'm sure there are many other threads with a more "holistic" approach.   

Everythings open to opinion, this thread is open for dicussion as far as I can tell, I have been replying to someone directly quoting me, aslo try not to get offended by other views