By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Switch has Sold more than what the PS4 and XB1 in the past two weeks in a day(Amazon)

To keep things in perspective, from Nintendo's own investor releases they say they plan to "ship" 2 million consoles by the end of March. So their rosiest outlook is having just 2 million consoles made in the 1st month of release and they are launching damn near worldwide. To compare in the first month the PS4 not shipped, sold 4 million. And it was only on sale in the EU for 2 weeks of that 1st month and wasn't on sale in Japan and many other regions. So if they only plan to have 2 million by the end of the month they are really only looking at like a million consoles ready for launch. They either expect this to not sell that well or they are way behind production.

Around the Network

And i expect it to outsell competition at least for the first month.

BeatdownBrigade said:
To keep things in perspective, from Nintendo's own investor releases they say they plan to "ship" 2 million consoles by the end of March. So their rosiest outlook is having just 2 million consoles made in the 1st month of release and they are launching damn near worldwide. To compare in the first month the PS4 not shipped, sold 4 million. And it was only on sale in the EU for 2 weeks of that 1st month and wasn't on sale in Japan and many other regions. So if they only plan to have 2 million by the end of the month they are really only looking at like a million consoles ready for launch. They either expect this to not sell that well or they are way behind production.

PS4 launched in November Switch launches in March. November is a bigger month overall when it comes to sales while March is pretty decent.

Uh ... wouldn't this be a story if it didn't?

The first two weeks of January are basically the slowest sales period for any existing system and Switch has pent up demand as a new system that's accepting its first pre-orders.

It should easily outsell the PS4/XB1 in this specific situation, it would be a giant red flag if it didn't.

Also Amazon I don't think was even selling the Wii U in 2012:

http://nintendotoday.com/amazon-still-not-selling-wii-u/

jason1637 said:
BeatdownBrigade said:

PS4 launched in November Switch launches in March. November is a bigger month overall when it comes to sales while March is pretty decent.

Only having 2 million units shipped in the first month when doing such a large worldwide release is pretty bad regardless of the month. Like I said it either mean really low internal expectations on sales or they are way behind production. If its the latter it begs to question why they are releasing this now when its obvious this system should have been launched this fall with its lacking launch line-up and halfbaked features like online not being ready until the fall.

Around the Network

Preorders aren't sales.

Well it's sold out on Amazon.de. ofcourse that could mean as few as 10 consoles sold or 100k we just don't know

BeatdownBrigade said:
jason1637 said:

Only having 2 million units shipped in the first month when doing such a large worldwide release is pretty bad regardless of the month. Like I said it either mean really low internal expectations on sales or they are way behind production. If its the latter it begs to question why they are releasing this now when its obvious this system should have been launched this fall with its lacking launch line-up and halfbaked features like online not being ready until the fall.

The Wii U sold 2m in two months and it was tracking ahead of the PS3 and XBox 360 at launch and close to the Wii. If the Switch does 2m in 1 month that isnt a holiday thats impressive imo. 

jason1637 said:
BeatdownBrigade said:

The Wii U sold 2m in two months and it was tracking ahead of the PS3 and XBox 360 at launch and close to the Wii. If the Switch does 2m in 1 month that isnt a holiday thats impressive imo. 

To me it'd be okay and thats only if it sells out that 2 million and is seen as wanted and scarce. But 2 million shipped is not the same as 2 million sold. Also while the PS3 had a notoriously bad launch again it was not released in Europe and most other regions outside of Japan and US until 4 months+ after launch. The PS3 and xbox were also far more expensive at their launches. The Switch is launching near world-wide and cheaper. With so little around the launch and their only major title in Zelda being on the Wii U (also while I love Zelda I think people over exaggerate its sale prowess as its never been an insane unit mover) I personally would be surprised if it sold that 2 million.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'm actually really surprised. I was in GameStop today and they were no longer accepting pre-orders. They had signage up in fact.

And my friend who skipped WiiU altogether just asked me what games he should pre-order with Switch.

This is all anecdotal of course but it's still surprising. I figured people would balk at the price.

Man it happened the same to me, it was very surprising to see my friend doing that, he didnt even ask me for the price, he just went to Media Mark and pre-order it after being years outside of gaming lol

Of course is just an anecdote but I cant hep but see it personally as a good sign.