By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is nickel and diming us with the Switch!

FarleyMcFirefly said:
It sucks to be a Canadian Nintendo fan right now.

Could be worse.... 330 euro for the console in europe.

Normchacho said:
Slimebeast said:
Nintendo has always demanded a premium price. It's nothing wrong.

I'm sorry, what? The current Pro controller is $10 less than a DS4, The upcoming one is $10 more. A single Joycon is only $10 less than a Wii remote and a Nun-chuck. The Gamepad charging dock is $30. The Switch dock adds an HDMI port, and is $90.

Yeah and throw in Amiibo too, and I honestly do feel like nintendo is nickel & diming people.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Nintendo has always demanded a premium price. It's nothing wrong.

No, Gameboy, GB Advance, Gamecube, DS, DS lite all had a very affordable and sensible price.

The Wii is more debatable, it was expensive for the hardware specs it offered but it was also positioned as very affordable in a time when competition was more on the expensive side. Plus it was compatible with most Gamecube accessories and extra controllers were often bundled with new games.

Compare that to 3DS, WiiU and now Switch. You can clearly see when things started to go wrong.

I think the fact that you can't actually charge the joycons without going in handheld mode is bizarre, like really Nintendo? The joycon base is just a hunk of plastic? And you expect me to shell 30$ for the same one that can actually charge while playing? This is the first console that does this.

And why on earth is the dock 90$?

They lost their minds, i thought they would be humble after the Wii U disaster but they look exactly like Sony after the PS2.

How about a reality check? 50$ for 1,2 Switch? That's the kind of crappy game that should come with the system, madness tbh.

vivster said:

Nintendo has been nickel and diming everyone since the NES. Guess why they're still in business.

Also it's called "financially savvy".

This.  

For some reason hardcore fans just don't see it.  They keep making excuses as to why most Nintendo games never go down in price, why the N3DS XL is still selling for $200, why the Wii U is still selling for $300, etc,  and now I see people already finding excuses to justify these outrageous Switch prices.

AttaboyJr said:
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=0Ca33MM386U

Well, I'm not buying actually. I'll wait and see. And I'm most certainly not buying additional controllers or anything like that.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

fun fact: they cant nickel and dime you if you dont buy their products.

i mean, what to they really have to offer me? i have Splatoon, and with the Wii U i dont have to pay for online. i have Mario, its not like youre missing out a whole lot by not buying a new Mario game. and if I wanted to, I could just get Breath of the Wild on the Wii U. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe seems cool but i wont shell out that much money just for a new battle mode.

that leaves us with ARMS, 1 2 Switch, a few ports... and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. thats just not enough

I'm mostly shocked at the price of the Switch itself. You can get a PS4 slim, with 1TB of memory, a game, a PS+ voucher (very likely), and maybe even an extra controller, for the same price of the Switch. How the fuck does Nintendo expect to be any consumer's choice against that!?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I do agree that they're being greedy with things like the accessories, but I don't agree with comparing the switch to the PS4 price and bundle now. It'd make more sense to compare it to the PS4 and XBO when they 1st launched, which PS4 was 399 with no game, and XBO was... 499 only at the time? I don't think any game either. And then with paid online, that's being going on since XBL. Sure you get more for paying for the service, but they're still asking you for extra money on something that used to be free. So yeah, nothing new here...

The accessories though, yeah, too much. They all need to be lowered.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

IMO only negative things are smaller number of launch and showed games and higher price than people hope for ($249), everything else is good.

Volterra_90 said:
I think Nintendo's strategy is banking on its fandom the first year. Switch is overpriced, so they're counting on Zelda, MK and Splatoon appeal to the Nintendo fandom. Also, I think they'll use us as beta testers for their new online service. I expect a holiday price cut. Holidays will be like a true release. The previous months are to keep Nintendo going.

I agree. Although I don't foresee a price cut so early except if initial sales are WiiU-like bad.

Anyway, I wouldn't call them greedy,  they're just a corporation.