By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch's Monthly Free Games are only playable for the month. You don't keep them.

According to Wired games editor:

"Confirmed by NOA: Monthly free classic game on Switch is indeed only available for that month. More deets on Virtual Console before launch." "After a month, you can no longer PLAY the monthly Switch online classic unless you buy it." Link.

This means that, unlike PS4 and XB1, you wont be able to keep the games past their availability month even if you are still subscribed to the service. Was this known? Because I thought the service worked like PS+.

First the accessories ridiculous pricing and now this. Facepalm? Am I the only one who cares?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

Yes this was known.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Yes this was known.

Oh well, If it's that clear then mods should close this thread. Took me by surprise how bad this is.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Damn... must be they(Nintendo) overpaid stuff.

Well, that is just a stupid solution, but not uncommon knowing how Nintendo work.

Around the Network

Two questions:

Do we know how much the subscription is going to be?

Do we know if this is going to be a set game, or can you choose whatever you like?

I haven't seen/been able to find answers to those questions, so think it's perhaps too early to gauge it against existing services. I get people being up in arms over this, but it isn't coming for a while yet there's time for Ninty to gauge the response and make changes.

Don't ruin the moment

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PC/PS4), Dead Cells (PC)

LordyPlays on YouTube

I don't care. I won't subscribe anyway.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

What do they mean with classic games? Who is waiting for 1 measly NES game to play, and that for only a month?

By now they should give out those titles freely every month as a gesture of goodwill for the many droughts that are coming, and for the people who couldn't get a NES Classic because of the artificial shortages.

Puppyroach said:
Well, that is just a stupid solution, but not uncommon knowing how Nintendo work.

You mean extremely anti consumer? 

Kinda stupid from them. The competitions gives 2 games per platform and you can keep them while you're a subscriber. The lineup hasn't been stellar nowadays, but I got a huge library from those.

Also, NES and SNES games will look like they weren't even trying.