By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo showed zero graphically-impressive games on the Switch event.

Siosal said:

When did it become a case of Good graphics = Good game, Great graphics = Better game? 

Nintendo is asking $350 for a "Next Gen" console to play games they are no longer developing for Wii U.
Graphics don't matter, power doesn't matter, OK, then why isn't Wii U good enough any more?
If people are being asked to pay MORE than much more powerful consoles they expect something for it.
Switch is nothing special hardware wise, the architecture is basically lifted from NVIDIA Shield including API.
So people are certainly able to compare it to similar tablet hardware, and relative to other consoles.
Including Wii U which they are being asked to pay $350 to upgrade from.  

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:

Nintendo is asking $350 for a "Next Gen" console to play games they are no longer developing for Wii U.
Graphics don't matter, power doesn't matter, OK, then why isn't Wii U good enough any more?
If people are being asked to pay MORE than much more powerful consoles they expect something for it.
Switch is nothing special hardware wise, the architecture is basically lifted from NVIDIA Shield including API.
So people are certainly able to compare it to similar tablet hardware, and relative to other consoles.
Including Wii U which they are being asked to pay $350 to upgrade from.  

They not asking $350 (which is the wrong price) for a next gen console they are asking $300 for the first ever hybrid platform which is far different, no tablet has the same motion controls, hd rumble and traditonal controls out the box either. Switch has the potential to be far more unique than what Wii U had.

I can understand people starting to feel a little like they've been had. This console looks like the Wii U presented in a different manner. Repurposed, actually. If people have fun with it, that's fine, but nothing about it is much of a leap forward outside of being able to take it with you.

I will say, aesthetically, I'm let down by the look of the new Mario game. It looks like a Sonic game. I wish they would have stuck to the Mushroom Kingdom strictly for the setting.

RJ_Sizzle said:
I can understand people starting to feel a little like they've been had. This console looks like the Wii U presented in a different manner. Repurposed, actually. If people have fun with it, that's fine, but nothing about it is much of a leap forward outside of being able to take it with you.

I will say, aesthetically, I'm let down by the look of the new Mario game. It looks like a Sonic game. I wish they would have stuck to the Mushroom Kingdom strictly for the setting.

I think Nintendo took a lot of pride with Mario being chosen (basically) as Japan's ambassador during the Olympic closing ceremonies in Brazil, and with the forthcoming Olympics in Tokyo, they wanted to use that global theme (Mario being a global icon). 

That's where the inspiration comes from I think primarily, not from Sonic. 

Panama said:
I must be on crazy pills but back in the day, Snes, N64 and Gamecube were graphical beasts. Now 3 consoles into the HD era and theyre struggling to hit 1080p. But hey the gameplay is still solid which is what matters to most.

" Snes, N64 and Gamecube"

I must be taking crazy pills if people actually believed this.  Or perhaps I imagined the NEO-GEO and X-BOX didn't exist or that 'vaseline smear' and horrible frameratse weren't a thing with N64 games.

They could produce some great looking games, but 'graphical beasts'?  Lol okay.

Around the Network

Graphically it was exactly what I was expecting and Mario Odyssey looked great. A fine console I'm sure for cartoon graphic games. I don't have an issue with the performance level just the lack of games I want and the high pricing which pretty much means even when Mario Odyssey launches I may not buy and still wait for a really low cost deal later on.

I think the current pricing and content means its a console for die-hard Nintendo fans only.

At the beginning of the presentation I was all excited and at the end I'd pretty much lost interest in the Switch which is good for my wallet anyway.

It really looks like Wii U 2.0. Hell maybe Wii U 1.8. Word was that it is at least twice as powerful as Wii U when undocked, but looking at it I could barely tell the difference between the two. Maybe it gets better later on, but to me it feels like more underpowered waggle business that Wii thrived on.

I hate that I waited years for this only to see that I gotta live for another 5 years with more underpowered garbage tier gimmicks (1,2,Switch!.... really?) and low resolution graphics. All I can do is hope that Nintendo gets with the times and we get something real in 2022 or that Donald Trump kills us all so I don't have to suffer anymore.

Portable performance is at least 2x for cpu of wii u possibly more, then you have more memory, perhaps 30% gpu performance. Definitely considerably more powerful than wii u when portable. Wii u couldn't do Skyrim, its got a hopeless cpu and skyrim is very cpu bound. In dock mode you have probably 3-4x wii u in gpu terms.

Obviously compared to the original ps4 and xbone its hugely inferior in performance and doesn't even start to compare to ps4 pro or scorpio.

Looks to be a great portable but I don't use portables that much so I was looking for reasons beyond portability.

Switch will probably launch ok and then hit a cliff edge and be forced into a price drop.

I think I'd only be happy to pay about £150 now almost half what they are asking so probably something like a secondhand purchase in a year or something. I'd only really want it for Mario.

If your new console can't push much more than the previous one there isn't much point in making a new one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
If your new console can't push much more than the previous one there isn't much point in making a new one.

It pushes much more than the 3DS and Vita. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides