By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Presentation - Rating and your impressions?

Rating?

10 65 8.72%

9 46 6.17%

8 99 13.29%

7 100 13.42%

6 87 11.68%

5 97 13.02%

4 78 10.47%

3 71 9.53%

2 28 3.76%

1 74 9.93%

Total:745

So dock is $90, pair of Joy-cons $80, leaves $130 for the console...
minus cables, charger, screen, about $80 of hardware powering it ;)

With this launch line-up
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1-2 Switch
Super Bomberman R
Skylanders Imaginators
Just Dance 2017
I think I'll stick to the WiiU until Mario Odyssey. Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart port are not must haves for me, so unless 1-2 Switch is somehow brilliant I don't see any good reason to pick it up day 1. There's still a good chance I'll be swayed anyway.

I would have pre-ordered it already if it launched with Mario and possibly Lego Undercover 2, Redout or a Rayman game. Yet with only a WiiU port, it's really hard to justify CAD 542 vs CAD 80 to play Zelda. Plus Another CAD 100 for a pro controller.

Damn that launch line-up is embarrassing compared to the PSVR launch line-up.

Around the Network

Absolutely shocked by how many bad ideas they've managed to cram into two consoles in a row now, this cannot end well at all. They are ridiculously out of touch with the modern market and swing back and forth between their own concepts (motion controls are apparently a go again now) and still seem hell bent on things like tiny storage, inferior digital stores and insisting that local multiplayer is where it's at.

My god, I had much higher hopes for it than this.

Mummelmann said:
  tiny storage, inferior digital stores

One can argue that it is pretty damn cheap to upgrade storage especially with SD.  Tiny storage could be solved on Wii U with cheap external hard drive.  Also, they didn't require disk install so only DLC and save files take up space for physical retail games. 

Inferior digital stores?  You ever see the fucking mess called the Playstation Store on PS3?  Supposedly the Windows Store on Windows 10 is a joke and mess.  The Steam store was updated recently I think to cater towards your likes but it seems like a giant cluster fuck of a mess now to me. 

Anyways, I'm not trying to stick up for Nintendo that much right now.  They kind of pissed me off too.  But those two arguements have semi flaws in them.  Sure they have tiny storage but it is a lot cheaper upgrading the space than buying overpriced proprietary Vita memory cards or god forbid.. Remember those way overpriced proprietary 360 hard drives?

sethnintendo said:
Mummelmann said:
  tiny storage, inferior digital stores

One can argue that it is pretty damn cheap to upgrade storage especially with SD.  Tiny storage could be solved on Wii U with cheap external hard drive.  Also, they didn't require disk install so only DLC and save files take up space for physical retail games. 

Inferior digital stores?  You ever see the fucking mess called the Playstation Store on PS3?  Supposedly the Windows Store on Windows 10 is a joke and mess.  The Steam store was updated recently I think to cater towards your likes but it seems like a giant cluster fuck of a mess now to me. 

Anyways, I'm not trying to stick up for Nintendo that much right now.  They kind of pissed me off too.  But those two arguements have semi flaws in them.  Sure they have tiny storage but it is a lot cheaper upgrading the space than buying overpriced proprietary Vita memory cards or god forbid.. Remember those way overpriced proprietary 360 hard drives?

But it's not fair to relasea a console in 2017 that has such small storage that it basically forces the owner to purchase extra, and quite costly SD cards, if you want one of decent capacity, it costs at least 80-90$ and up towards 150$. It lacks what has become basic functionality out of the box, and that's a bug problem. The fact that Nintendo's own games don't require installs doesn't change anything; they biggest problem has always been third parties and this solution ensures that most people won't buy digital games of any size, it has also caused a situation where Nintendo are forced to limit their own offers by only offering NES and SNES games in exchange for a premium on online play, since even their own titles would fill up the space too quickly.

Their digital stores will suffer due to this, most developers probably won't bother releasing their bigger games at all on Nintendo's digital stores, and their greatest weakness in software is lack of breadth due to poor support. They're still making silly hardware choices that make it perpetually unattractive for third parties to develop games for their platform, 32GB of storage is just unaccptable today, heck; my phone has 128GB of store off the bat.

I agree on the PS Store though, it's a damn mess and I never use it. Prices are also ridiculous. Not a huge fan of the new Steam interface but it sure is heaps better than anything else right now.

Compared to other platforms; it's very, very likely that Nintendo will have pretty poor offerings on digital gaming, both for 1st and 3rd party titles, and this will hardly do them any favors. The fact that owners can buy third party solutions to fix first party issues with storage hardly makes it fair. But when they choose to spend the majority of the hardware cost on wacky controllers; this is the consequence, and it will add to what is now a rather extensive list of cons with this thing. Peripheral prices are also absolutely ludicrous, as usual. They seem to have learned nothing in the last decade or so.

Mummelmann said:

They seem to have learned nothing in the last decade or so.

I'd say they didn't fully realize their Wii U failures and then added shit on top of a shit.  I was probably going to be a launch consumer but now I'll probably just wait.  Hell, I was launch consumer for GC and Wii U and see how those turned out.  I wasn't for Wii so maybe somehow this will catch fire.  I'm just not seeing it.  I don't see how they will pull the casuals back while keeping their fanbase.  I'm probably one of the biggest Nintendo supporters there is and I see nothing but shit in the features.  I was impressed by some of the games like the 3D Mario and MK8 deluxe looked like it had a ton of content.  The features of the system and pricing of controllers left a shit taste in my mouth though.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Mummelmann said:

They seem to have learned nothing in the last decade or so.

I'd say they didn't fully realize their Wii U failures and then added shit on top of a shit.  I was probably going to be a launch consumer but now I'll probably just wait.  Hell, I was launch consumer for GC and Wii U and see how those turned out.  I wasn't for Wii so maybe somehow this will catch fire.  I'm just not seeing it.  I don't see how they will pull the casuals back while keeping their fanbase.  I'm probably one of the biggest Nintendo supporters there is and I see nothing but shit in the features.  I was impressed by some of the games like the 3D Mario and MK8 deluxe looked like it had a ton of content.  The features of the system and pricing of controllers left a shit taste in my mouth though.

Yeah, I'm genuinely sad, the last Nintendo console I bought was the N64, I want to want one! But I find it hard to justify purchasing a console simply for a few games, especially if the controllers are unappealing on top and buying more "regular" ones cost too much. This is also why I've never owned a Xbox, I simply couldn't justify the purchase with how few games I'd want to buy for it, it doesn't really matter that I can technically afford it.

I have to get one eventually though, I really miss playing Nintendo games and the bright points are few and far in between on PS and Xbox as well (for me anyway).

Mummelmann said:

I have to get one eventually though, I really miss playing Nintendo games and the bright points are few and far in between on PS and Xbox as well (for me anyway).

I'd go with Wii U.  They will probably keep servers up another year or two and you can pick up most of the games for pretty cheap now besides MK, Smash and a few others.  Tons of pretty good Nintendo Select titles for 20 dollars each.  Probably not really any deals at stores anymore or who knows probably none shipped really anymore. 

USA Nintendo Online Store is selling refurb 32 GB Deluxe + Super Mario 3D World + Nintendo Land for 215.  That isn't a terrible deal but nothing too amazing.

sethnintendo said:
Mummelmann said:

I'd go with Wii U.  They will probably keep servers up another year or two and you can pick up most of the games for pretty cheap now besides MK, Smash and a few others.  Tons of pretty good Nintendo Select titles for 20 dollars each.  Probably not really any deals at stores anymore or who knows probably none shipped really anymore. 

USA Nintendo Online Store is selling refurb 32 GB Deluxe + Super Mario 3D World + Nintendo Land for 215.  That isn't a terrible deal but nothing too amazing.

Hmm, I'll think about it, but Super Mario Odyssey looks amazing, and I'd want the best version of Zelda BotW as well. I really don't like the Gamepad either, but I suppose one could just play with a Pro controller instead.

7/10

The 1st half sucked hard, but the 2nd half made up for it. The pricing and paid online service still stain it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

6 or 5. Not impressed. Besides the obvious big games Arms look cool plus I heard u don't need motion control to play it. I just know that I'm skipping the first year of Switch which I was going to do anyway