By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battery lives matter!

Now with the Switch information event right behind the corner, the most interesting topic considering it's hardware: battery life. How long should the battery last? Have you been dissappointed in the handheld battery life before? How much would be enough, how much great?

Personally, I think the battery should last for 5-6 hours and it should support portable power banks to charge it on the go if needed.

I've, however, been quite happy with the 2DS battery life, while DSL, I believe, had excellent battery life.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Remember how the DS seemed to go for a long time without recharge? I miss that.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Battery lives matter! They have feelings too!

Even if the main unit of the Switch is that thing with the screen, the console itself has been made to be a home console. It can only access to it's full potential while docked and while it is constantly powered up by an external energy source. The portable mode is an extra feature. An integral part of the experience, but it's clearly not how you should always use the console. And as an extra feature, you can't expect a battery life of, let's say, 6 hours or more. That's what you get with a dedicated portable device. Since the Switch is not a dedicated portable device, it will most likely not have a long battery life.

I'm good with a 3 hour duration. I don't think I need more given how much I play outside of my house.

It will be fine. I am sure of it. You can always charge it in your car in a long trip and such.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
It will be fine. I am sure of it. You can always charge it in your car in a long trip and such.

The worlds longest flights non-stop rank at about 16 hours. So that's the least battery life the Switch should have.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

The longer the better.

RE: flights... all planes have plugs at this point.

DS was great with its nearly 20hrs, 3DS went from horrible to meh and 2DS is ok.

I'd love DS to match 2DS, but I don't think that is possible. I'm betting on the 3DS lifespan of 5-8hrs which is meh and tolerable.

If its less than 5 hours, I will be disappointed.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'm afraid it's closer to three... five to six would be fun on trips to my wifes mother. I've been watching Netflix with my kids on a trip, but Switch might be fun hotseat multiplayer on the go. Car charger isn't really that handy if you need to keep changing the place of the main unit.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

The 3DS battery of mine can be a bit low, but that might be because I got the thing long ago back during KH3D"s launch.

If the charger is a USB though, that is not a issue. It can charge in cars, on computers, while flying....I can easily work with that.

I'd prefer it have as much life as possible, but if the charging cable is handy the issue is lessened

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?