By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battery lives matter!

Slarvax said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

That would be amazing, but I'd be satisfied with half of that.

I fly every month, and about 60% of the planes that I'm on (primarily in North America) still don't have plugs.

Can confirm. Took like 8 flights last year, from 3 different airlines. None of the planes had plugs.

Jesus, you guys must be picking the lowest crap airlines or not in US.

Around the Network
Miguel_Zorro said:
superchunk said:

Choose a better airline. I fly United or Alaska just about every month and have not see a plan without a plug in the seats in a long time. (100% in US, once to UK - also had plug)

Really?  What routes are you flying? I'm on United a lot and many of their planes don't have plugs.  Maybe it's because I fly short haul often, but their flights up and down the east coast are very much without electrical outlets.

I go PHX to SEA primarily. But my few flights to NY and UK all had plugs too. That is actually one of the reasons I stopped using American or Southwest.

Captain_Yuri said:
Goodnightmoon said:

If is more than 5 hours I would be extremely surprised, this thing has 3-5 hours written all over its face which fits japanese lifestyle fine, mobiles, the most popular handheld gaming device, lasts few hours when gaming

Yea but phones also have other things that drain the battery like LTE and GPS. Not to mention phones generally have a higher resolution screen and have tons of non-gaming related background tasks running.

I think 5 hours is not that unreasonable to ask with decent power settings like medium brightness, powersaving mode and etc. Also that the Switch's screen is 720p vs phones these days have 1440p resolution. On top of that, while in undocked mode, the Switch's GPU runs at 307 mhz which is very little compared to the usual 1Ghz Tegra X1 GPU as well as the CPU runs at half the speed as a normal Tegra X1. Maybe the joycons themselves also help with the battery when they are attached to it since the joycons have their own battery but who knows if that is the case.

(Sorry for the late reply, my internet went RIP)

Phones do other stuff, but unlike gaming devices, they are not designed to run at full speed the whole time they're in use - which in turn have a dramatic effect on power consumption, and therefore battery life.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

FunFan said:
WagnerPaiva said:
It will be fine. I am sure of it. You can always charge it in your car in a long trip and such.

The worlds longest flights non-stop rank at about 16 hours. So that's the least battery life the Switch should have.

Don´t airplanes that travel that long have outlets?

Anyway.. ... smartphones and tablets don´t have good battery life for gaming either. If it has life similar to a 3ds battery (4.5 - 5.5. hours), it will be more than enough.