By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Question: Is the Switch the successor to the GBA?

Question: Is the Switch the successor to the GBA?

Yes... Makes sense 15 40.54%

Ehh, Nope 22 59.46%

Total:37

Nintendo Did say that the DS was NOT a successor to the GBA so Obiously the 3DS wouldnt be either. Now since the Switch is coming out it would make since that this is the long awaited successor to the GBA. Featuring a more traditional design thats more smilar to a GBA then a 3DS. What do you think?

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

Nope. The Switch is a totally new thing. There has never been a dedicated hybrid gaming device before. PS Vita and PSTV don't count because they are two separate devices. The GameBoy line is dead.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Uhh... Sure.

bet: lost

SonytendoAmiibo said:
Nope. The Switch is a totally new thing. There has never been a dedicated hybrid gaming device before. PS Vita and PSTV don't count because they are two separate devices. The GameBoy line is dead.

PSP was a hybrid device.

I dont care what Nintendo said. The Nds IS the successor to the GBA. The 3ds is the successor to the nds and the Switch is the successor of the WiiU - If anything, cause there nothing quite like the switch.

Around the Network

That's pretty far out of left field. The Switch is not really a dedicated portable or home console. It's a hybrid. We're entering new uncharted territory for Nintendo, where for the first time since 1989, they are NOT going to have a Home Console over here, and a Portable Console over there, separate. They are now going to be one and the same, there will no longer be two sets of games for each, there will no longer be a need to spend next to twice as much money on both systems, there is no longer a need to worry about connectivity between wildly disparate versions of games (like Smash). It will just be one unified unit, with (theoretically) ALL the games that used to come to GBA/DS/3DS and GC/Wii/Wii U (just for example), will release on one system now, at the very least giving it a better flow of FIRST party software.

How third party software pans out, as well as how Nintendo manages to market the thing (because their Wii U marketing was a disaster), remains to be seen. On PAPER, the Switch (while I don't love the name) concept sounds great. I have never been huge into portable gaming, mainly because I prefer to relax at home and see my games on a big screen. I also simply don't feel like playing games much when I AM on the go. But it would be great to be able to take the game I was playing at home, and keep playing it on the road, if I want. It would also be great to, for example, NOT miss out on some great software, because I own a Wii U, but not a 3DS, or vice versa.

So no, I would not say that Switch is the spiritual successor to anything, at this point. This is Nintendo attempting both a last ditch effort to regain the footing they lost with Wii U, and also them somewhat hitting the reset button on the entire way they've operated for decades, now having one "unified platform", instead of trying to prop up two separate systems all the time. On paper, in theory, the idea is that the system will play like their home consoles, but (Wii being a recent exception) will hopefully SELL more akin to their portable systems.

We shall all have to wait and see how that actually winds up playing out. I personally am still incredibly burnt by the whole Wii U experience, having owned one since launch. But I do WANT Nintendo to succeed, so I hope they've somehow learned their lesson and make all the right moves this time (even though their handling of NES Mini doesn't help my confidence in them).

Don't think so.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Nintendo Gameboy
Nintendo Gameboy Color
Nintendo Gameboy Advance

Nintendo Switch - Do you see Gameboy anywhere in there?

Gameboy is a brand for series of similar styled handhelds. Has nothing to due with being more traditional or not.

SonytendoAmiibo said:

Depends. PSTV actually has a converter that makes it a handheld again

more like its a successor of PSP