By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - As much as I love the Nintendo Switch idea... I still want a full 3DS successor!

zorg1000 said:
lasershow said:

I 100% agree. I love the 3ds and the graphics and the variety of games. There are a ton of small and indie titles that are fantastic and can be budget priced plus great projects like the Zelda's, Fire emblem etc. Series like Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape thrive on a simple console with simple clean looking graphics that can be made in shorter development cycles. I really want a 3ds succesor.

Those smaller titles can still be released as budget or digital titles. Not all games will or need to be $60 releases. For example, here are some of the various pricing tiers we saw on Wii U.

$10-20 eShop titles, Pokemon Rumble U, Pushmo World, Dr. Luigi, NES Remix, Mario & Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars, Star Fox Guard

$40-50 retail releases, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Mario Party 10, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD

$60 retail releases, Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Smash Bros Wii U, Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, etc.

There is no reason to believe that games wont get made because they are "too small".

I don't understand how people don't understand this. Like what console do these people all these 3DS devs are working on next?? If Switch is going to be successful it's because of 3DS devs moving over to Switch. 

If Nintendo can't get the Japanese 3rd Party devs to move from 3DS to Switch they may aswell not release the console.

Around the Network
Nintation360 said:

I think and hope the Nintendo Switch will kick butt in the market! and I hope it's just as powerful as the PS4. If it's slightly above the Xbox One I'll be happy. I just want 3rd party games to run decent on it! Not like the very crappy ports the Wii U had. But anyways.

Although I love the Switch portability idea... It's still not a true 3DS successor in my opinion. If it was a true successor, it'd have the traditional clam shell design, 2 screens and not hook up to a tv. I'll miss the days where I can fit a Nintendo console in my pocket wherever I go. Not in a bookbag, school bag or any kind of bag. But because of the Switch, it feels like a portable homeconsole or something. And it doesn't feel like PS Vita TV either. Remember Vita TV? I don't see the Switch like a handheld that can be played on a television. It really looks like a portable handheld. No where near being a handheld.  

So this is why I want a true 3DS Successor. I want Nintendo HDS or Nintendo(Add innovation Initial here)DS. 

What do you think?... Im going to miss small 3DS titles like 3D Land, Zelda remakes, Triforce Heroes ect. 

"and I hope it's just as powerful as the PS4. If it's slightly above the Xbox One I'll be happy."

=  rumors are saying less than half of Xbox One, and about 1/3rd of a PS4 (when docked).

" I'll miss the days where I can fit a Nintendo console in my pocket wherever I go."

You just need bigger pockets :p 

But yeah its a tablet, and I dont see Nintendo doing a 3DS followup, now that they have the switch.

Its supposed to be both, and thus they ll have unifed their games library (the 3ds & wii u).

Dont get your hope up. Get the Switch, and get used to haveing a bag to carry around.

Nem said:
animegaming said:

I've seen plenty of people have their tablets out in the wild and what would make it embarrassing espically since it doesn't look like a toy like the 3DS does

Is that all you see? A tablet? It's not just a "tablet". The reason tablets are accepted is because they are mainly used for work. 

The switch second screen isn't a tablet, it's a gamepad. Aka a very big and embarassing portable console. If you want one of those out, you want it to be as small and slick as possible. Think about how you would feel if you took the Wii U gamepad out with you. 

All this not even factoring all the detachable contraptions. The 3DS is way slicker than that.

the chances of a Switch Slim/Lite/Mini releasing in late 2018 or early 2019 is likely very high.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

OdinHades said:
I feel your pain. I'm still waiting for that GBA successor.

Isn't the switch just a HD Gameboy with a HDMI output when you get down to it

Making a "HDS" destroys the real point of the Switch which is bringing all Nintendo games together on one platform and not forcing people to buy 2 Nintendo hardware systems.

Lots of people don't even want to buy one, asking people to pay $500 for Nintendo hardware is a laugher. Most people don't even consider it, not unless there is some amazing reason to do so, the Wii had a once-in-a-lifetime kind of controller craze going for it, Nintendo could make consoles for the next 50 years and never have that happen again. It's just one of those things.

Push comes to shove, Nintendo can just wait for a 14nm or even 10nm die shrink of the Nvidia Tegra X1 and use that in a Switch Mini in the coming years. Why needlessly cut yourself off from hundreds of games? 

Around the Network

Hmm....I think it will depend on the Switch success, but I am not sure a 3DS successor will be made. Let's put it this way, if Pokemon Stars, the Sinnoh remakes, or anything like that ends up on the switch the DS line is dead

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

You'll die waiting for a full 3DS successor to happen..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

As much as I love my 3ds (I really do!), I can´t say that I agree with that.

Seeing how the console market is going right now, a device that can work both as a handheld and as a home console is a nice idea. I hope the Switch is sucessfull

I agree with the common consensus. The Switch is the successor to both the 3DS and the WiiU. Making a separate handheld successor would be pointless and counterproductive, and it would ruin the single library concept the Switch is trying to push. The best thing for the Switch is that it becomes a family of products that play the same games and share the same library, with a lot of models to fit all needs (an XL model, a Mini model, a Switch TV model...). Although I admit I'll miss the doublescreen.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

You need to realise that with Switch Nintendo is moving away from DS and Wii, down the line you will probably get Switch Pocket smaller version of Switch just for playing on go, but it will still be part of Switch platform, and you will not see any more totally separate handheld device like before.