By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tegra X1 (Switch GPU?) Throttles To 768 MHz (Eurogamer Correct Again?)

FunFan said:
It throttles for the same reason any other modern chip in the world does it. Heat buildup due to lack of proper cooling.

Both Switch and Shield Console have an active fan for cooling. It must need something much larger to be able to run at full clock. 

Just goes to show I guess that getting even Wii U/PS3/360 tier graphics or a bit better is still pretty tough even in a mobile chip. 

Around the Network

Doesn't seem to be that strong of a GPU. Definently worried about how its going to play AAA titles.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:

Doesn't seem to be that strong of a GPU. Definently worried about how its going to play AAA titles.

It's gonna be basically a Wii U/360 tier performance with some better effects and what not. 

Which isn't bad for a portable machine at all, and still pretty good for the more cartoony style of graphics, which is what Nintendo prefers. 

I was watching footage of that Halo LEGO demo that was never released, but man that game looked real good just running off a XBox 360, I think for the majority of Nintendo games much better than the Wii U isn't really needed. They wouldn't invest the money to make their games look that much better anyway. 

Soundwave said:
barneystinson69 said:

It's gonna be basically a Wii U/360 tier performance with some better effects and what not. 

Which isn't bad for a portable machine at all, and still pretty good for the more cartoony style of graphics, which is what Nintendo prefers. 

I was watching footage of that Halo LEGO demo that was never released, but man that game looked real good just running off a XBox 360, I think for the majority of Nintendo games much better than the Wii U isn't really needed. They wouldn't invest the money to make their games look that much better anyway. 

why people are still expecting anyting AAA from this machine is beyond me. Get one of the 3 other platforms for that.

oniyide said:
Soundwave said:

I was watching footage of that Halo LEGO demo that was never releasedm, but man that game looked real good just running off a XBox 360, I think for the majority of Nintendo games much better than the Wii U isn't really needed. They wouldn't invest the money to make their games look that much better anyway. 

why people are still expecting anyting AAA from this machine is beyond me. Get one of the 3 other platforms for that.

I'm just quoting a +1 here. It really makes no sense for everyone to run the same games. In terms of AAA games there's only a handful of publishers that make them out of which three are console manufacturers themselves, and they take years to finish anyway, so this can't be a very profitable market in the long term, especially when the majority of the world isn't even interested in the AAA games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Just a couple more days!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Soundwave said:

Looks like Eurogamer was probably correct on these leaked Switch clock speeds they got. 

No one doubts the Eurogamer leak. Well. No one credible anyway.

Soundwave said:

A user at NeoGaf named MDave has a Nvidia Shield console which has the Tegra X1 (Maxwell) GPU that supposed is powering the Switch too. 

He ran some tests on the chip, and some interesting things popped up ... most notable the chip will run at a full 1 GHz clock speed .... but only for a couple of minutes (even with a fan). It throttles itself down to 768 MHz after a few minutes of running:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227883703&postcount=8800

So this is probably the max a Tegra X1 can hit in sustainable performance (without overheating). 768 MHz is the exact clock speed Eurogamer got for the Switch in docked mode. 

EDIT: Meant 768 MHz guys, not GHz. Typo.

Not a valid comparison. We have been over this and why.
So I need to ask, what are you trying to justify?

Soundwave said:
It also maybe goes to show that a lot of these benchmarks given for mobile chips are misleading.

All these chips downclock like crazy, if the Tegra X1 in the Shield has to downclock, and that's with a rather large chasis and an active fan for cooling, mobile chips in smartphones or tablets like down clock even lower.

Even thermal throttled. It is still over twice as fast as the Switch in the higher performing docked mode.
And the Switch has more TDP headroom for the GPU.

Even a full rate older Kepler-based Tegra is faster than the Switch. Most flagship handsets are faster than the Switch.

The Switch just is not a high-end device... Even in the mobile world. And there is *zero* reason for it other than Nintendo desiring to cut corners/costs.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

bdbdbd said:
oniyide said:

I'm just quoting a +1 here. It really makes no sense for everyone to run the same games. In terms of AAA games there's only a handful of publishers that make them out of which three are console manufacturers themselves, and they take years to finish anyway, so this can't be a very profitable market in the long term, especially when the majority of the world isn't even interested in the AAA games.

I wouldnt go so far to say people arent interested especially considering how well COD does every year and people are still buying GTA 5 all four SKUs. We just have enough systems that people are already buying for them. Them being on a Ninty system isnt going to help them or Ninty much. Look at the sales of the games that came to Wii U. People here love to say that they were gimped or use it to prove that there is no interest in those games. There is interest, I just think people would rather buy them on their non Ninty system. 

Some rumors have already been accepted as facts, I see. Just a couple of things:

The problem is not the X1 chip, but the form factor/cooling of the devices that feature it. Maxwell is still one of the graphic architectures with the best performance per watt efficiency, second only to Pascal.

If the Switch falls short of the performance standards needed to have a competitive product is because they decided to go for such a small power-constraining design.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Found this interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giqDQrfdkFA