By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ooooooh man: Super Retro Boy announced - Plays GB, GBC, and GBA games! August 2017/79.99

Xxain said:
KLXVER said:

My point is that this does nothing the cheaper GBASP dont already do. If it played Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket and Atari Lynx games as well, then fair enough...but this thing is just a more expensive and less portable system.

Your right, but your missing point of this:

ITS

FOR

THE

NOSTALGIA 

FACTOR.

Not so much for the tech or what can be played on it. For example Red Blue and Yellow Pokemons on VC. Wyh buy those we you can get the much better Upates? Nostalgia. Retro things like this are for people who are old enough to understand it. Its the Nostalgia factor, not tech, or what you can or cant play on it.  

I am old enough to understand nostalgia, but this thing doesnt do anything for me. It doesnt even look like a regular Gameboy. Why would anyone buy this? "Because nostalgia" is not a good answer. They can still buy the original hardware cheaper...

Around the Network
think-man said:
Is it official?

not even a little bit.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

You'd be better off with something like this;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-7-Kong-Feng-GB-Boy-Classic-Color-Handheld-Game-Console-Game-Player-with-Backlut-66/32691094474.html

Comes with 66 games built in (full games) and also takes normal cartridges. Not compatible with Advance games but only the earlier gameboy and gameboy color games were meant to be played in this configuration.

These are meant to be good quality too.

Can't a GBA do that anyways?

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I bought a GBA SP from a pawn shop for $20 and they included a game.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Isnt it just better to buy a Gameboy Advance SP?

this. If this device comes preloaded with a bunch of games that would be one thing (it won't obviously). Or at minimum with a flashdrive where you can on your own download emulation or whatever.

but as it is it literally poses no advantages really over a Gameboy SP. Unless you literally just want something that looks akin to the original Gameboy that plays GBA games? :/

now what would have been cool is if it was like a hybrid handheld in vein of the Supaboy that played BOTH Gameboy/GBA titles AND like Super Nintendo titles. that would be cool

you can get an SP loose with a charger for like 40$ if your patient, this is a not really a logical buy

Ganoncrotch said:

Xxain said:

That can be said about any retro release: Sega genesis re-release - Why just not get  Ultimate collections?, NES Mini - Virtual Console? Point is to be classic/nostalgic, not so much the games

I disagree, when it comes to the NES mini the cool thing about it is being able to use it with a HDTV without input lag and also still having the original NES shaped controller.

This device offers the ability to play games, but has altered the controls to the point where some games would be effectively unplayable with this layout, it's not just about looking like a Game Boy it must in some way be functional, otherwise why even bother putting a battery in it, just make a gameboy shaped box for hipsters to hold in cafes and look RETRO.

great point, the NES classic is extremely handy for casuals because it has a built in high quality HDMI connection with apparently like NO lag. Even things like the Retron 5 tend to have input lag (I notice it with mine), so the NES classic was pretty handy

this on the other hand is akin to a little watch that's in the shape of an original Gameboy- it brings nothing new to the table just harps on nostalgia 

Xxain said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I disagree, when it comes to the NES mini the cool thing about it is being able to use it with a HDTV without input lag and also still having the original NES shaped controller.

This device offers the ability to play games, but has altered the controls to the point where some games would be effectively unplayable with this layout, it's not just about looking like a Game Boy it must in some way be functional, otherwise why even bother putting a battery in it, just make a gameboy shaped box for hipsters to hold in cafes and look RETRO.

For youuu. All buyers of mini would have bought it regardless if it had or didn't have HD/input lag. Nostalgia is the selling point of things like this. 

disagree entirely. Buying an NES classic for my parents for the simple fact that it works smoothly with newer televisions without the lag (i.e. high quality build and HDMI connection). 

I honestly don't even know how good Retrobit is, I am not sure if they are on the level of build quality as Hyperkin (Retron, Supaboy)

Xxain said:
KLXVER said:

My point is that this does nothing the cheaper GBASP dont already do. If it played Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket and Atari Lynx games as well, then fair enough...but this thing is just a more expensive and less portable system.

Your right, but your missing point of this:

ITS

FOR

THE

NOSTALGIA 

FACTOR.

Not so much for the tech or what can be played on it. For example Red Blue and Yellow Pokemons on VC. Wyh buy those we you can get the much better Upates? Nostalgia. Retro things like this are for people who are old enough to understand it. Its the Nostalgia factor, not tech, or what you can or cant play on it.  

but there is nothing particularly nostalgic about this. Its not by the actual company, it doesn't look exactly like the original, and its honestly wayyyy late to the party. if this had came out 10 years ago WHEN GBA games were still being released it would actually have been logical but at this point, as others have mentioned, what's the point?

there have been classic editions of the GBA Sp, the GBA Micro, DS, etc., just don't understand. The new systems that play classic games that make sense generally either come packed in with games, have some sort of flashdrive support for putting your own emulator files, OR play a number of different game systems. Like others have mentioned, if this thing played Game Gear and Lynx too or something that would be really cool. But its just like an original Gameboy in layout that plays GBA games too? ehhh

nostalgia is more relevant when you're getting something with it. People didn't buy the NES classic simply because it LOOKED like an old NES, they bought it because it was preloaded with games and easy to plug into new TVs comparitively to the hassle of getting the original thing  and dealing with broken pin connectors and uncompatability with newer TVS

you are wayyyy outstretching nostalgia. People don't just want something to put on the shelf, they can buy an Amiibo if they want that. The reason something like the Hyperkin Supaboy does well is because it offers something entirely new- i.e. Super Nintendo games on a portable device.

This Retrobit device just seems misplaced. And honestly for 80$ you could practically still get a working original Gameboy (40$) and loose Gameboy SP (40$) and just have the original functional things

The quality of Retrobit stuff can be...questionable. I got. Retro Portable duo from them for Christmas, and the screen lacked brightness and the sound was terrible. I also bought an SNES wireless controller from them that never really worked.

This definitely seems like it might be neat, but the lack of shoulder buttons, the vertical form factor (which, lets face it, was always a crappy design idea) and Retrobit name really put a damper on my hype.

I've had better experience with Hyperkin, which seems to be the superior clone console maker.