By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Moderator Thread

CGI-Quality said:
VAMatt said:
I think this forum is too strictly moderated. If I had to quantify it, I'd say we need a 30% reduction in the zealousness of moderation. About half the time I see the "X was warned" or "X was moderated" tag on a comment, I can't figure out what the offense was.

I feel like this forum errs on the side of enforcement. I'd prefer that we err on the side of free dialogue.                                       

Warnings aren't accompanied by notes, but bans should be. 

Regardless, what's overzealous about it? What do you think can be done to improve the quality of the mod team and moderations? Regarding free dialogue, how are things currently restricted in terms of what can/can't be said? Your feedback will be useful in this.

I'm not sure what else to say.  Mods do too much moderating.  Like I said, I don't even know why some of these comments are being moderated.  I see a note, and can't see anything wrong with the comments.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
VAMatt said:

I'm not sure what else to say.  Mods do too much moderating.  Like I said, I don't even know why some of these comments are being moderated.  I see a note, and can't see anything wrong with the comments.

Then help us out. What's wrong with the posts in question? Have you got any examples so we can have an idea of what you're talking about?

I don't have any examples at the moment.  But, I will try to keep my eye out for some, and report them here.  

VAMatt said:
CGI-Quality said:

Warnings aren't accompanied by notes, but bans should be. 

Regardless, what's overzealous about it? What do you think can be done to improve the quality of the mod team and moderations? Regarding free dialogue, how are things currently restricted in terms of what can/can't be said? Your feedback will be useful in this.

I sometimes think of the same thing, but my guess would be that the moderation is for the behaviour in the thread as a whole, and a person's mod history would give a better explanation. The other option is that the post was reported and a trigger happy mod that did not dig into the matter any deeper just hit a ban based on the report.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Do mods censor wall posts now (as in: erase what they don't like)?

Let's see here, I've been moderated for not being able to read someone's mind in order to discontinue posting on their wall. (StarOcean was the mod)

I've also been moderated for making a completely valid statement about the anti-science agenda from evangelical Christians.(Super_Boom culprit)

I find it absolutely perplexing that my first ban was 7 days as well. That mod (Star Ocean) is clearly emotionally unstable to have placed such a harsh ban on me for his own blunder.

The progressive system is absolutely atrocious. It's akin to committing three counts of petty theft and receiving a life sentence. Punishment fits the crime, it doesn't scale arbitrarily.

Explain your logic please. This should be hilarious to read.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

Agreed 100%.
I have seen some pretty (In my eyes) stupid moderations for relatively benign statements. - Sometimes even when the poster was being factually accurate.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SkepticallyMinded said:
Let's see here, I've been moderated for not being able to read someone's mind in order to discontinue posting on their wall. (StarOcean was the mod)

I've also been moderated for making a completely valid statement about the anti-science agenda from evangelical Christians.(Super_Boom culprit)

I find it absolutely perplexing that my first ban was 7 days as well. That mod (Star Ocean) is clearly emotionally unstable to have placed such a harsh ban on me for his own blunder.

The progressive system is absolutely atrocious. It's akin to committing three counts of petty theft and receiving a life sentence. Punishment fits the crime, it doesn't scale arbitrarily.

You were banned for this post. Nowhere in there are you specifying evangelical Christians, or fundamentalist, or any type of extreme. You're making a jab at an entire belief system, and that absolutely isn't okay. Heck, it's the first example listed in Rule 13.

Like it or not...this forum is welcome to users of all political and religious beliefs...and that won't change.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Hynad said:

Do mods censor wall posts now (as in: erase what they don't like)?

Unless it's spam from a bot, I haven't heard of this happening. What's the context?

I remember that time when they banned that poor bloke for 5 days because he made a lighthearted joke that could've been interpreted in any way. The mod's rational was that the person obviously hated the Nintendo Switch. That bloke went on to be one of the first people on this forum to preorder a Switch.

So yeah, sometimes mods moderate too much. Though I also blame the report system which is obviously flawed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

SkepticallyMinded said:

Shouldn't be calling mods emotionally unstable mate.